House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

Had never heard the term "cornish unit', is it just a a euphimism for a particular prefab, like woolaway, or does it mean it's mundic infested too :blink:

It's mundic. Though I don't hear that word much these days, Cornish Unit is the standard term.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty much a prefabricated wall structure , made of precast concrete walls - unfortunately due to the fact the concrete contains a high proportion of waste from mines / clay spoil as aggregate , it is highly prone to ACD (accelerated concrete degredation or 'concrete cancer') as Frank rightly points out most mortgage lenders , even when mortgages came free with boxes of cereal , required a full screening test before approving , in todays far more risk averse mortgage climate I doubt even that would suffice.

Interestingly a mate of mine who's a mason with a well known Cornish firm has , told me recently he has 'years of work' as his company has just got a contract to refurbish all remaining Council mundic stock and replace the walls with brick / block - bet those poor sods who excercised a right to buy before this happens will be sick.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just been looking on 'nestoria.co.uk' and noticed their statistics show a 2 per cent fall in prices for 3 bed houses from Feb to Mar. 2 beds fell by 0.5%. I have tried to add widget but not having success. However, here is link if anyone is interested or has any comments.

http://www.nestoria.co.uk/truro/property/buy

I have just been looking on 'nestoria.co.uk' and noticed their statistics show a 2 per cent fall in prices for 3 bed houses from Feb to Mar. 2 beds fell by 0.5%. I have tried to add widget but not having success. However, here is link if anyone is interested or has any comments.

http://www.nestoria.co.uk/truro/property/buy

The problem with these figs are the very low volume of sales - one high or low price can throw the stats either way .

The problem with these figs are the very low volume of sales - one high or low price can throw the stats either way .

Yup that's true - but also been looking at BBC website which seems to confirm picture. I suppose next few months will be telling.

Yup that's true - but also been looking at BBC website which seems to confirm picture. I suppose next few months will be telling.

I use Land Reg mainly - if you dont mind the month lag - Rightmove is good with property bee installed to track changes

• 1 month later...

i'm seeing sizeable chunks coming off the asking prices for properties i'm watching around the outskirts of Newquay, but still plenty asking peak prices that have been for sale for a year or more...

i've got to admire the optimism of this seller though, i'd posted a link a while ago to her previous property that she was selling last year - she bought this brand new in July 2007 for £230k, rented out as a holiday let & sold it July 2009 for £235k. she then bought another place on the same road for £200k, again a holiday let - it's just come on the market for £250k. well, it's holiday season after all, someone might just bite!

Edited by **Lexxy**
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't entirely relevant to the topic, but just thought Id stick this here anyway. Im considering a move to cornwall based solely on happy childhood memories of the area 20 years ago. Im working from home lately so can commit to a 6 month tenancy (Im renting for the forseeable future) somewhere interesting in the country.

To those that know the area - am I mad? Is it now populated solely by minimum wage people struggling in the tourist industry that hate outsiders who aren't holidaymakers? Where are the places to avoid/be?

This isn't entirely relevant to the topic, but just thought Id stick this here anyway. Im considering a move to cornwall based solely on happy childhood memories of the area 20 years ago. Im working from home lately so can commit to a 6 month tenancy (Im renting for the forseeable future) somewhere interesting in the country.

To those that know the area - am I mad? Is it now populated solely by minimum wage people struggling in the tourist industry that hate outsiders who aren't holidaymakers? Where are the places to avoid/be?

There's a smattering of rough council estates (the very worst one is North Hill in Falmouth, there's one in Camborne - Pengegon, and that one in Bodmin with the arson sounds a bit bad) and the odd rough street with HMOs in it, Madron Street in Penzance. They are however pretty obvious at first inspection.

Other than that most places are nice. People will dig up local rivalries, I have heard St Austell described as St Hostel and being rough and grotty - not in my experience though I've never lived there, but IMO all are fairly decent. There's no town in Cornwall which I would rule out living in. The standard "rough" towns are Camborne / Redruth but this is very overstated; both have very nice areas.

I would however avoid the remote rural places that look idyllic in summer but have single track roads and you need to get your car out to buy a paper.

What you will find though is that if you are looking for a nice little seaside cottage for the summer you will struggle. I know two people who have tried to get this and took ages to get somewhere even half-satisfactory. There is far more money to be made from renting these out for holiday lets in the summer than from year-round rental. If you want a flat in an inland town these are readily available and cheap.

There is a general, if passive, resentment of tourists in the holiday towns. Most people do not make their money from the tourist industry so are slightly peeved that in the summer the roads, beaches, pubs and shops become packed. The attitude to outsiders / incomers is no better and no worse than other parts of the country. If you expect everybody to welcome you as a long lost friend it won't happen, if you have the only flash car in the street you will be resented by some, if you act like a tourist you will be treated as such. I don't like one family on my street because they own a house in it which they only use a few weeks of the year; they are behaving like tourists. If however you have moved about in the past with no problem fitting in then you will be fine, with the caveat that ASBO neighbours from hell can pop up anywhere.

There is far more money to be made from renting these out for holiday lets in the summer than from year-round rental. If you want a flat in an inland town these are readily available and cheap.

Thanks for the info.

I have found that the good properties in the more interesting places seem to be all used for holiday lets.. there are a few good flats fully furnished (probably what I will end up with) being advertised saying they are available basically at the start of winter. Id go for one of these but Im pretty certain I'll be getting chucked out after the initial 6 months of the AST to make way for the holiday makers, and I don't want to commit to another 6 months elsewhere after that so they aren't suitable.

Ideally Id have something coastal, I like st ives, but I don't think there is anything good that will be available all year round.

For that reason I'll probably need to end up with something that isn't on the coast, and isn't remote due to the problems of accessability in the winter. Truro looks interesting. Any other Truro-alikes that I don't know about?

Thanks for the info.

I have found that the good properties in the more interesting places seem to be all used for holiday lets.. there are a few good flats fully furnished (probably what I will end up with) being advertised saying they are available basically at the start of winter. Id go for one of these but Im pretty certain I'll be getting chucked out after the initial 6 months of the AST to make way for the holiday makers, and I don't want to commit to another 6 months elsewhere after that so they aren't suitable.

Ideally Id have something coastal, I like st ives, but I don't think there is anything good that will be available all year round.

For that reason I'll probably need to end up with something that isn't on the coast, and isn't remote due to the problems of accessability in the winter. Truro looks interesting. Any other Truro-alikes that I don't know about?

If you're coming from a big town or city then Truro is the nearest thing, the only big downside is the traffic. Nothing really similar IMO.

The huge pile of aspirationally-priced unsold flats in Newquay continues not to sell, several developers are going to lose their shirts.

Here is one of many many available:

Pearl, Headland Road, Newquay, Cornwall

Asking price £395,000, 2 bedrooms, Flat, Available

# 2 bedrooms

# Coastal

# New Development

# Town/City

# Waterside

# Private Parking

Description:

Collection of fourteen 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and penthouses combining cutting edge luxury with aesthetic appeal. Overlooking the golden sands of Fistral Beach, never has a development been more aptly named. Full residential use.

Listing history:

Asking price Date

£499,000 04-10-2009

£455,000 03-02-2010

£395,000 27-03-2010

http://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-sale/ref-1850788

£100k drop in 5 months, do I detect a whiff of desperation there?

The huge pile of aspirationally-priced unsold flats in Newquay continues not to sell, several developers are going to lose their shirts.

http://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-sale/ref-1850788

Lot of money for a 2-bed flat, even if the view is nice.

It's less than half that for something similar in the Landes (better climate, better food, similiar surf, about the same travel time from London if you fly-drive to Bordeaux)

In late 2008 I looked at a piece of building land in St. Merryn. They wanted 180k for it with planning for a 4 bed chalet bungalow (whose plans only showed 3 bedrooms).

I hesitated, thinking the market was dropping and that the land had been on the market for quite a while. Needless to say, I guess early in 2009 someone bought it because, when I was down there in July 2009 the bungalow was having its roof put on.

A few months later I looked at the local agent's web site (the one who had advertised the land) and, sure enough, the bungalow was on there - finished. On the market for 450k.

If someone paid 180k for the land - they are after a 100k profit I would say.

Just checked - it is still on the market - same price. I can only assume the developer is an eccentric dwarf millionaire who doesn't need his money back out of the deal.

http://www.mousepric...ale/ref-1850788

Makes you wonder how long they can hang on ... this has been going on for what, 2 years?

Last summer the new flats in Porth were sitting there empty, wonder if they still are?

Lot of money for a 2-bed flat, even if the view is nice.

It's less than half that for something similar in the Landes (better climate, better food, similiar surf, about the same travel time from London if you fly-drive to Bordeaux)

Interesting how you automatically measure the property in terms of London.

Makes you wonder how long they can hang on ... this has been going on for what, 2 years?

Last summer the new flats in Porth were sitting there empty, wonder if they still are?

the Zenith development on the road thru Porth to Watergate? they looked very empty when we drove past when we were down there a couple of months ago now. we've stopped a couple of times with the intention of actually looking at a show apartment, but we can never find anyone to ask! i'm pretty sure Zenith were all holiday restricted & something was mentioned in the local press about developers asking for these restrictions to be lifted as they weren't selling (i might have even read that on here?!).

i don't understand how the developers can have all this money tied up for so long. take Acorn, they've got about 5 developments being sold at the moment, another will be ready late summer/autumn & at least 2-3 more in the pipeline. at least a third/half of what they're selling at the moment is just standing empty with prices being reduced all the time (not quite so many drops now as it's Summer ;)).

for some reason, when any new place pops up, the penthouses are normally the first to be sold - there's a heck of a lot of money around, somewhere!

the Zenith development on the road thru Porth to Watergate? they looked very empty when we drove past when we were down there a couple of months ago now. we've stopped a couple of times with the intention of actually looking at a show apartment, but we can never find anyone to ask! i'm pretty sure Zenith were all holiday restricted & something was mentioned in the local press about developers asking for these restrictions to be lifted as they weren't selling (i might have even read that on here?!).

i don't understand how the developers can have all this money tied up for so long. take Acorn, they've got about 5 developments being sold at the moment, another will be ready late summer/autumn & at least 2-3 more in the pipeline. at least a third/half of what they're selling at the moment is just standing empty with prices being reduced all the time (not quite so many drops now as it's Summer wink.gif).

for some reason, when any new place pops up, the penthouses are normally the first to be sold - there's a heck of a lot of money around, somewhere!

There were two developments up for grabs last time we were there (last Summer). Yes, as you go through Porth towards Watergate, on the left there is a developmet pretty much on the beach and, on the other side of the road, a nice old-fashioned general store/holiday tat shop was knocked down a couple of years ago and replaced with a block of (I think) 4 shops with flats above. The shops and the flats were all empty last summer.

You look at the prices and just find yourself wondering ... where DO people get the bloody money from? Just around the bend as you climb up and out of Porth they built a block a couple of years ago - very nice - basement parking - big glass fronts - overlooking the sea - but they were way over 300k for 2 bed flats at the back!

How do you lay your hands on 300k to buy one of these things - and either let it out for 20 weeks a year - or occupy it yourself for a few weekends.

People in London seem to make really daft money. How do they do it? I don't do anything that gives them such money.

There were two developments up for grabs last time we were there (last Summer). Yes, as you go through Porth towards Watergate, on the left there is a developmet pretty much on the beach and, on the other side of the road, a nice old-fashioned general store/holiday tat shop was knocked down a couple of years ago and replaced with a block of (I think) 4 shops with flats above. The shops and the flats were all empty last summer.

You look at the prices and just find yourself wondering ... where DO people get the bloody money from? Just around the bend as you climb up and out of Porth they built a block a couple of years ago - very nice - basement parking - big glass fronts - overlooking the sea - but they were way over 300k for 2 bed flats at the back!

How do you lay your hands on 300k to buy one of these things - and either let it out for 20 weeks a year - or occupy it yourself for a few weekends.

People in London seem to make really daft money. How do they do it? I don't do anything that gives them such money.

ah, right. i know the ones you mean now. the smallish block on the right hand side of the road where the shops were, The Beach, they originally marketed them as a timeshare sort of arrangement, i think it was £30k for 5 weeks a year or something. not surprisingly, they didn't sell! they're still for sale now, reduced in price from when they started, all are holiday restricted. here's one of them http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-22953046.html

Zenith is the one just up the hill, with all the glass. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-16286447.html

there were 2 developments on the left, just in front of the beach, the smaller block sold pretty quickly & a few are rented out as holiday lets, The Beach House. this is the other one, Porth Sands, can't say i've seen any listed for sale recently so they all must be sold too.

and no, we haven't got a spare £300k just lying around doing nothing either!

Edited by **Lexxy**

Any of you guys know what Stoke Climsland is like, or the surrounding area?

Erm, small village, very little there unless you count the church (which is, to be fair, quite a nice specimen. IIRC.) I don't think there's even a pub, but I could be mistaken. Are you looking at a particular house?

Countryside around is pleasant, with some positively scenic parts nearby (e.g. Tamar valley around Gunnislake and Calstock).

House prices a little lower than across the river in Devon, and a lot lower than the more trendy coastal areas.

Erm, small village, very little there unless you count the church (which is, to be fair, quite a nice specimen. IIRC.) I don't think there's even a pub, but I could be mistaken. Are you looking at a particular house?

Countryside around is pleasant, with some positively scenic parts nearby (e.g. Tamar valley around Gunnislake and Calstock).

House prices a little lower than across the river in Devon, and a lot lower than the more trendy coastal areas.

Thanks Porky, we like the look of the school there.

The "foundry house" is available to rent but is far too expensive. The council tax and rates add an extra 200 quid per month too

Harrow Barrow school looks good too but they are full

There is apparently a sports and social club there with a bar etc

Edited by Patfig