House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any comments/suggestions on #270?

What is the situation with broadband services in Cornwall?

Any areas better for maxDSL?

Any news which 2 areas are being selected for Next Generation, NGA, fibre optic supply?

You seemed to know the area fairly well robert. "Flat" is the bit I have trouble with in Cornwall and what immediately springs to mind is Penzance which you already namechecked.

Centre of Truro maybe? I always tend to think of it as hilly but there is a fairly decent flat central chunk. Or centre of Falmouth.

I thought most towns had broadband but not villages. I have no idea on your other points.

You seemed to know the area fairly well robert. "Flat" is the bit I have trouble with in Cornwall and what immediately springs to mind is Penzance which you already namechecked.

Centre of Truro maybe? I always tend to think of it as hilly but there is a fairly decent flat central chunk. Or centre of Falmouth.

I thought most towns had broadband but not villages. I have no idea on your other points.

Thanks Frank.

What my wife needs for her sanity is to be able to get out of the house with some independence.

So a local flattish area would be fine.

That is most helpful.

We have visited Cornwall frequently but living in one spot full time is never the same as a short visit.

The currently available amenities, doctors, dentists are not easily knowable unless you live locally.

• 3 weeks later...

We too are looking for something but permanent as we have already retired. My wife is from St Austell/Summercourt and myself originally from Penryn. My wife has chronic arthritis now though and we need somewhere flat where she can get around to nearby facilities on an electric scooter - else she is housebound. We planned a nice house for family visits out in the countryside but fate has changed all that. Any location suggestions from those more familiar with facilities?

Can't suggest where would be good, but something to avoid that might or might not occur to you, depending on what it's like where you're from.

There are a lot of places here where the roads tend to narrow, and the pavements are routinely blocked by illegally parked cars. That includes the road where I live. My late neighbour who suffered arthritis was basically a prisoner in her own home, except for once a week when her brother would take her out in a car.

Don't forget, we live in a country where the car is king, anyone else can go to hell if the motorist's convenience is involved, and the whole bloomin' meeja will descend with fury on anyone who tries to limit the Sacred Car. Some poor old dear on crutches or in a wheelchair can just stay off the roads - like children in most of the country have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Government officially confirmed what we all knew was Labour party policy today

See page 9

Good to see them standing up to the whims of capital once more...

If MPs don't own a holiday home themselves then they have friends that do.

The country is run by MPs controlled by banksters.

If property prices drop, banks lose, and second-home-flipping MPs lose.

So they're going to do everything to put it off or stop it.

If MPs don't own a holiday home themselves then they have friends that do.

The country is run by MPs controlled by banksters.

If property prices drop, banks lose, and second-home-flipping MPs lose.

So they're going to do everything to put it off or stop it.

Such a good point - I was at local rugby club sunday , talking to an EA who tbh is a half decent guy - he openly admitted that only selling to second home owners , holiday home owners and managing holiday lets are all that stand between him and the dole - he has next to no local trade at all - this is Fowey area btw.

• 2 weeks later...

A nicely optimistic listing:

Property prices are rising (2.8% last month) so act soon before we increase our price. <_<

And from the snake:

Event History

date event

15 Sep 2008 First day listed (price £950,000)

02 Oct 2008 Price changed from £950,000 to £895,000

20 Nov 2008 Price changed from £895,000 to £795,000

04 Jan 2009 Status changed from listed to delisted

08 Jan 2009 Status changed from delisted to listed

22 Mar 2009 Price changed from £795,000 to £695,000

http://www.houseweb.com/131491/

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/detail/20004635

• 1 month later...

House going cheap in Callingon, Patfig!

House closed to end neighbours' misery

A HOUSE in Callington has been closed down by police after residents endured more than two years of abuse and anti-social behaviour.

Police believe they are the first in Cornwall to use tough new anti-social behaviour laws to enforce the closure of a privately-rented property.

A three-month closure order notice was imposed on 8 Moonsfield by magistrates on Thursday, preventing anyone from living in, or going near the house, without permission.

The order has brought an end to more than two years of anti-social behaviour which has left neighbours scared to live in their own homes and facing costly security and damage bills.

Behaviour included smashed windows, verbal abuse, drunken behaviour and shouting.

One resident, who wished to remain anonymous, kept a diary of incidents and claimed damage to property and improvements to home security cost her around £3,000.

"We took to living with our curtains closed. They would shout abuse. I used to live in Germany with my ex-husband who was in the forces. I've lived in war zones. I've never been so frightened in my life as I have living here."

Sgt Brett Phillips, neighbourhood team leader for Callington and Calstock, said police began receiving complaints relating to the property owned by private landlord Bruce Burton in November 2007.

Between June 1 and November 31, 2009, 20 incidents of an anti-social behaviour had been linked to the house.

Police applied for a closure notice and on Thursday, after hearing all sides of the case, magistrates granted the closure order for three months from Monday.

Three tenants were living at the property when the order was given.

Sgt Phillips said: "There has to be a significant amount of anti-social behaviour to invoke legislation.

"As soon as the threshold had been met we were quick to gather all the evidence and made a formal application to the court.

Callington town councillor Jeremy Gist said: "This sends a message to private landlords that if they don't take the actions of their tenants seriously, it will hurt their pockets and their good name."

Landlord Mr Burton said: "I think it's a complete injustice that working people living in a shared house get evicted because of the behaviour of one dodgy tenant. I consider myself a victim too because I'll lose a lot of rent."

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/House-closed-end-neighbours-misery/article-1730065-detail/article.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a semi mischievious 'viewing' with an agent selling flats ...errr sorry 'Luxury town centre apartmnents' in St Austell town - I can safely say that the agent was as honest as any I've ever spoken too - did'nt try and give me the old blahh about 'prices rising , last few chances' but was simply asking for an offer - any offer.

I had a chat after we'd seen several places and she told me that she was trying to get the vendors to realise that their prices are just not realistic and the more offers she can present that prove this , the more chance she had of getting them to see sense , I asked didn't she think the vendor would just jump agents and got the response ' vendors with their head in the clouds don't make me any money' all but said good riddance. -

Probably the best evidence I have personaly had that things may just be getting a bit uncomfortable in the EA game down west.

I've posted this one in a few places because it 's 'kin hilarious. Hideous house, in a rubbish 'village' should be a third that price even in modern house prices. Here is what you can get for £200k less 2 miles up the road with sea views and much better location http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13325385.html Still wouldn't touch it with yours though!

I did see a 10%+ reduction on a £550k house that I'd been watching for 6 months this week. Nothing else seems to have sold at this end of the market though

I've posted this one in a few places because it 's 'kin hilarious. Hideous house, in a rubbish 'village' should be a third that price even in modern house prices. Here is what you can get for £200k less 2 miles up the road with sea views and much better location http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13325385.html Still wouldn't touch it with yours though!

The Crowlas one is a heap of doings absolutely.

The Penzance one looks great if you're happy to be an active landlord - £265k for 5 flats plus your own accommodation would produce a great return for the price.

The Crowlas one is a heap of doings absolutely.

The Penzance one looks great if you're happy to be an active landlord - £265k for 5 flats plus your own accommodation would produce a great return for the price.

I am almost tempted. Knowing this road (and this town) though I expect it needs a lot of work as it will have been a smack house.

I am almost tempted. Knowing this road (and this town) though I expect it needs a lot of work as it will have been a smack house.

Certainly, but you can do it all yourself. I know you were after a source of income. How about this and windsurfing off Marazion during the day?

Certainly, but you can do it all yourself. I know you were after a source of income. How about this and windsurfing off Marazion during the day?

You'll have the HPC anti-landlord police down on him in a minute. It's sinful to own property you don't live in, even if it's in the same building, didn't you know?

Wouldn't the road being full of smackhouses affect the yield and the quality of tenant a bit? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the latest in your part of Oggyland peeps ?

Snozzle seeing lots of price drops this week and more new instructions than I've seen in a good while.

Lots of the drops 2-5K though so nothing dramatic yet , but a nice start at least.

Whats the latest in your part of Oggyland peeps ?

Snozzle seeing lots of price drops this week and more new instructions than I've seen in a good while.

Lots of the drops 2-5K though so nothing dramatic yet , but a nice start at least.

Hi TopTaff

I thought I would introduce myself - I'm in Truro. (Included in my one or two posts).

I thought I would point out that I have noticed some newbuilds being reduced for the first time. However, I also see that the properties just coming on to the market are very ambitiously priced. A two-bed midterraced had dropped from around £160k to £140k (approx. IMO) - but newly marketed ones are pushing the £160k levels again. (Not a scientific analysis, just a general impression).

There does seem to have been alot of new developments in St Austell and I thought they looked seriously out of kilter with the rest of the market there.

Same load of overpriced crap in the £350-600k range down here in the far west of Cornwall. Although this one has dropped from £550k to £480k : http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24951046.html

Which puts it almost on a par with:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15591589.html

Which I didn't realise was right on the A30. WTF, this has got to be one of the most overpriced houses in Britain!

Same load of overpriced crap in the £350-600k range down here in the far west of Cornwall. Although this one has dropped from £550k to £480k : http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24951046.html

Which I didn't realise was right on the A30. WTF, this has got to be one of the most overpriced houses in Britain!

:lol: Yeah - their optimism is staggering! This is the kind of thing that keeps my spirits up though:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23011973.html?minPrice=160000&maxPrice=220000&pageNumber=2&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FTruro.html%3FminPrice%3D160000%26maxPrice%3D220000%26index%3D10

and this one :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20349376.html?minPrice=160000&maxPrice=220000&pageNumber=2&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FTruro.html%3FminPrice%3D160000%26maxPrice%3D220000%26index%3D10

Both of these I was vaguely interested in last year - renting for six months+ is now looking like the right decision (sold my house in Devon in September).

(I hope links are correct - just testing)

Still dont think they will get anything like that with it being so close to B3315, people retiring and spending £480,000 wont want traffic noise. Plus i think (hope) sentiment is really only just at a mainstream tipping point right now as people are waking up to the grim economic reality.

yes you might be right about the second one ( first saw from you on C24! I think) madness isnt it? In someways its quite representative, encapsulating whats happened to the region as whole. it's the new cornish vernacular, having swung from stoical well made dressed granite with scantle slate roofs that housed miners and farm labourers we now have charmless cement rendered, subdivided flats housing people on benefits or on minimum wage in the tourist industry.....depressing and why I have had to change my lifelong ambition to return to Penwith....its been a difficult process...but despite being blessed on its day with some of the finest scenery in the world......its culturally so messed up relying totally as it does on retirees and holiday makers.... i have known 7 groups of people who have moved there who simply couldnt hack the weather and suffocating parochialism......sorry if dampening others enthusiasm.

Edited by tennaval

Would appeal to somebody who doesn't know what "Cornish Unit" means.

Though I am sure they will find out when they try to get a mortgage.

Had never heard the term "cornish unit', is it just a a euphimism for a particular prefab, like woolaway, or does it mean it's mundic infested too :blink: