House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

I'm not too familiar with the Newquay market, but this development of just eighteen apartments in St Ives is yet to be built and echoes the clifftop sites of Newquay.

The site has been cleared and boarded off, but as far as I can see, no building work has yet taken place.

Will you buy me?

Perhaps they are waiting for deposits?

Costa Del St Ives.

This will spoil your day, the Times article for people to pick up bargains down your end of the woods.

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle6632784.ece

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a lovely friday off work at Morgan Porth beach - went for a walk up to the 'surfpod' units being built behind the beach for a chat with the chippy - turns out the contractor is basically just using one or two guys on site to 'go slow' to use the chippy phrase. Seems only 30% of the units are presold and there are some twitchy bums amongst the site owners about their ability to finance the final phase . I have to wonder has the HPC finaly landed here ?

I spent a lovely friday off work at Morgan Porth beach - went for a walk up to the 'surfpod' units being built behind the beach for a chat with the chippy - turns out the contractor is basically just using one or two guys on site to 'go slow' to use the chippy phrase. Seems only 30% of the units are presold and there are some twitchy bums amongst the site owners about their ability to finance the final phase . I have to wonder has the HPC finaly landed here ?

It's spelt Mawgan Porth!

i quite like Mawgan Porth... ;)

anyway, saw this today, just popped on to rightmove.

purchased July 2007 at either £310k or £350k, not on land reg. info but i know these were the phase 1 & 2 prices for this building. used as a holiday let since.

so, bought at peak'ish - "i know lets put it on the market for £200k more, it's bound to sell!" :blink:

another example of complete madness...

i quite like Mawgan Porth... ;)

anyway, saw this today, just popped on to rightmove.

purchased July 2007 at either £310k or £350k, not on land reg. info but i know these were the phase 1 & 2 prices for this building. used as a holiday let since.

so, bought at peak'ish - "i know lets put it on the market for £200k more, it's bound to sell!" :blink:

another example of complete madness...

Ahh, the sea, I wondered where that had gone. That flat has obviously taken it all. What with all the drunken orgies going on in the town, you would be lucky to get 50k for it! It's up with the most greediest EA, so hardly surprising.

Edited by tplatt
Ahh, the sea, I wondered where that had gone. That flat has obviously taken it all. What with all the drunken orgies going on in the town, you would be lucky to get 50k for it! It's up with the most greediest EA, so hardly surprising.

Ahh good old Crapplilly bless em - renown for their greed and willingness to 'elaborate' on the truth , typical EA in Cornwall tbh

Ahh good old Crapplilly bless em - renown for their greed and willingness to 'elaborate' on the truth , typical EA in Cornwall tbh

Every week they are in the local rag talking up the market. It's been a bumper year for them, or so they say... However, the term 'new price' does pop up a lot on their ads. For anyone wondering about the market I can certainly confirm that there is no shortage of property for sale. It's just that prices are still bonkers, especially for anything outside town and with more than a strip of garden.

Having said that, they are the only agent I would use to sell my house! They are the only ones who seem to know what they are doing, since I have used lots of other agents in the past and they all appear to be useless!

Edited by tplatt
  • 4 weeks later...
Having said that, they are the only agent I would use to sell my house! They are the only ones who seem to know what they are doing, since I have used lots of other agents in the past and they all appear to be useless!

Sell with them ? Absobloodylutely

Buy through them ? not a fluckinh hope

• 1 month later...

i posted this info on a thread about asking prices back on March 29 2009...

"there's a 1 bed very nice flat we've just stayed in in Cornwall (Pentire area of Newquay), lovely place & finished to a nice standard. on the small-medium size from others we've stopped in. main point it has going for it is the view, right above the beach with nothing that could be built in front of it, ever.

the owner bought it July 2007 for £205k, put it on the market within a few months at £300k.

July 2008 - still at £300k, but now open to offers.

she's gradually been reducing it & before we went away it was at £235k (well on her 'private sale' listing it is, with an agent it was still listed at £275k :blink: ).

she's got a 'for sale' sign in the window & i noticed quite a few people phoning her no., i also offered lots of info to anyone that was interested that buzzed the intercom or spoke to me whilst i was on the balcony! :P

unfortunately, as soon as i mentioned '1 bedroom', any interest disappeared rather sharpish ;)

i checked her own for sale listing after we came home & she's increased her price back to £240k...

in the area, there's loads of new build flats completed or scheduled for completion this summer & it feels like they really are holding on to the hope of one last summer selling to the holidaymakers at inflated prices. i can't see this happening as sales have fallen off a cliff in the last 18 mths & asking prices aren't moving too quickly in a downwards direction. properties that were reserved/sold off plan are now coming back on the market too some developers have reduced prices, not many though."

on the latest update on LandReg i noticed it finally sold in July for £235k, it's still listed on various holiday sites with exactly the same interior pics so i'd imagine she sold it 'all-in'. so, not too bad in the current market - buy for £205k, rent out for holidays & take £30k profit in the space of 2 years (not clear profit obviously as she's had running costs in the meantime, but still, pretty good).

i posted this info on a thread about asking prices back on March 29 2009...

"there's a 1 bed very nice flat we've just stayed in in Cornwall (Pentire area of Newquay), lovely place & finished to a nice standard. on the small-medium size from others we've stopped in. main point it has going for it is the view, right above the beach with nothing that could be built in front of it, ever.

the owner bought it July 2007 for £205k, put it on the market within a few months at £300k.

July 2008 - still at £300k, but now open to offers.

she's gradually been reducing it & before we went away it was at £235k (well on her 'private sale' listing it is, with an agent it was still listed at £275k :blink: ).

she's got a 'for sale' sign in the window & i noticed quite a few people phoning her no., i also offered lots of info to anyone that was interested that buzzed the intercom or spoke to me whilst i was on the balcony! :P

unfortunately, as soon as i mentioned '1 bedroom', any interest disappeared rather sharpish ;)

i checked her own for sale listing after we came home & she's increased her price back to £240k...

in the area, there's loads of new build flats completed or scheduled for completion this summer & it feels like they really are holding on to the hope of one last summer selling to the holidaymakers at inflated prices. i can't see this happening as sales have fallen off a cliff in the last 18 mths & asking prices aren't moving too quickly in a downwards direction. properties that were reserved/sold off plan are now coming back on the market too some developers have reduced prices, not many though."

on the latest update on LandReg i noticed it finally sold in July for £235k, it's still listed on various holiday sites with exactly the same interior pics so i'd imagine she sold it 'all-in'. so, not too bad in the current market - buy for £205k, rent out for holidays & take £30k profit in the space of 2 years (not clear profit obviously as she's had running costs in the meantime, but still, pretty good).

My home village( North coast) has seen quite a number of sales this month, buyers seem to be going for the old traditional cottages as opposed to bungalows with views or 2 bed flats.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have started thinking about buying a holiday place in Cornwall, where we will eventually retire. We are in no rush, because we want the right area and place - and the wife is fussy. We are looking for somewhere close to the beach in a moderate size town with some life in the winter. We have been looking at places like St Ives.

I have seen some small price reductions appearing since July, and I am getting the impression that the market is going down this autumn. Is this a usual seasonal effect, or is it likely to be more permanent?

We are mainly looking for a compact house and garden. There seem to be quite a few prestige flats with sea views on at very high prices - do they ever get sold? Small cottages would suit us better, but many have no yard or parking,yet they still seem to be popular. Why someone will spend 2-300,000 on a place and still not be able to park in front amazes me. Any comments on my observations would be welcome.

My wife and I have started thinking about buying a holiday place in Cornwall, where we will eventually retire. We are in no rush, because we want the right area and place - and the wife is fussy. We are looking for somewhere close to the beach in a moderate size town with some life in the winter. We have been looking at places like St Ives.

I have seen some small price reductions appearing since July, and I am getting the impression that the market is going down this autumn. Is this a usual seasonal effect, or is it likely to be more permanent?

We are mainly looking for a compact house and garden. There seem to be quite a few prestige flats with sea views on at very high prices - do they ever get sold? Small cottages would suit us better, but many have no yard or parking,yet they still seem to be popular. Why someone will spend 2-300,000 on a place and still not be able to park in front amazes me. Any comments on my observations would be welcome.

No, the prestige flats don't sell anymore and there is a big stock of these on & coming onto the market.

St Ives is mentally crowded all year round, and the houses are packed in. I really wouldn't recommed it, nor would I bother with Padstow. These are similar in that they are small old towns grouped round a fishing harbour with all the development running up steep hills behind. Both nice to visit but I wouldn't live there.

The sort of house you want for the price you quote is more likely to be found in Newquay, Perranporth or Hayle / Lelant which are all more spread out.

If you're getting older and like your garden you may want to look at the south coast: Falmouth or Penzance. There is less wind (and less surf) and a better climate for growing.

There is a seasonal effect in prices with a post-summer down swing.

If you read this thread you will see that opinion is divided on where house prices will go. I think there will be a big crash in Cornwall but not everybody agrees.

No, the prestige flats don't sell anymore and there is a big stock of these on & coming onto the market.

St Ives is mentally crowded all year round, and the houses are packed in. I really wouldn't recommed it, nor would I bother with Padstow. These are similar in that they are small old towns grouped round a fishing harbour with all the development running up steep hills behind. Both nice to visit but I wouldn't live there.

The sort of house you want for the price you quote is more likely to be found in Newquay, Perranporth or Hayle / Lelant which are all more spread out.

If you're getting older and like your garden you may want to look at the south coast: Falmouth or Penzance. There is less wind (and less surf) and a better climate for growing.

There is a seasonal effect in prices with a post-summer down swing.

If you read this thread you will see that opinion is divided on where house prices will go. I think there will be a big crash in Cornwall but not everybody agrees.

I agree with your forcast Frank - its already begun in the 'industrial' areas of Cornwall - St Austell ,Bodmin etc

Penzance/Marazion is one area to look at so is Porthleven/Helston.

Wadebridge is on the River Camel but like many places very close to the sea.

Penryn has river frontage and is quaint.

Even quite small country villages have a lot going on at a community level. Delabole for example could keep you doing something 365 days a year. Those seaside places with holiday homes may only have a few residents left in winter.

There is a summer market but also a reluctance to offer places at reduced ie market prices.

Those that sell do so at 30% discounts whereas in London the selling prices are nearer the reduced asking prices.

Banks etc will not have surplus mortgage funds for maybe 4-5 years and the poor holiday season will deter many from holidaying in UK again. Would expect holiday/ second homes to be gradually sold off.

We too are looking for something but permanent as we have already retired. My wife is from St Austell/Summercourt and myself originally from Penryn. My wife has chronic arthritis now though and we need somewhere flat where she can get around to nearby facilities on an electric scooter - else she is housebound. We planned a nice house for family visits out in the countryside but fate has changed all that. Any location suggestions from those more familiar with facilities?

• 2 weeks later...

Reality strikes on this one, and the owner has realised it. Still looks very overpriced for what it is though.

Carnyorth Hill TR19 7QD 2 bedroom flat £415,000 £300,000 DOWN 27% 669 days (tr19)

http://www.houseweb.com/131443/

2 bed, 1 bath, no garage.

I have sympathy with the owner for this comment, and I do quite like it, but £300k. Er, no....

I will be sad to part with this wonderful property - the only reason I'm selling is that I have bought a farm. The property was previously under offer for a sum in excess of £400,000 - before the world collapsed! There is no upper chain and due to the aforementioned it is now on the market for a guide price of £300,000 for a quick sale. I may be willing to part exchange for something interesting!