House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

Yep - I have an office in Redruth - in the 'Original ' Barclays bank - stunning buildings , all rotting away , high street thats dieing in front of your eyes .

Even the 'cheap shop' closed

And yet right in the middle of it , an EA proudly displays a 'prices on the way up again' sign - I have never been so close to a random act of vandalism.

Poor old Redruth, it is such a shame. I do shop there quite frequently. It's great for charity shops/second-hand places and the greengrocer is good value. There appears to be lots of upgrade/refurbishment going on to the buildings/pavements, etc. I hope it is all worth it. Maybe people will realise one day that Truro is just too stressful and a rip off and shop in the smaller towns. Boy, do they need the business!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

All things are relative I suppose!

Only thing that's stressful about Truro is the number of extremely slow drivers. Now that really does get my blood pressure up.

Beautiful villas on the way to Tuckingmill such as this are pretty cheap. shame about the area. where wuld you get this much for that money elsewhere?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa....0%26index%3D30

Only thing that's stressful about Truro is the number of extremely slow drivers. Now that really does get my blood pressure up.

Beautiful villas on the way to Tuckingmill such as this are pretty cheap. shame about the area. where wuld you get this much for that money elsewhere?

Yes, but remember - location, location, location - everytime.

The whole experience of Truro is stressful, driving, parking, shopping. The only time it is not stressful is in the evening, when the place is dead.

Yes, but remember - location, location, location - everytime.

The whole experience of Truro is stressful, driving, parking, shopping. The only time it is not stressful is in the evening, when the place is dead.

Spent 14 years in London, Truro is a sleepy backwater by comparison - which I greatly appreciate. If I lived somewhere like Bodmin (nearest town to where I grew up) I would expire from boredom. Truro's therefore a happy compromise, and the parallel parking skills I honed in the Smoke come in very handy. It does have good bars though. Acquaintance of the wife in Camborne says she hasn't been out in town there in the year she has lived there. the one night she and her husband decided to walk down she had youths yelling 'oi bitch' at her from their car... lovely! I would have thought Camborne was coming up a bit though as they have big student venues like the Corn exchange attracting half decent entertainment.

Spent 14 years in London, Truro is a sleepy backwater by comparison - which I greatly appreciate. If I lived somewhere like Bodmin (nearest town to where I grew up) I would expire from boredom. Truro's therefore a happy compromise, and the parallel parking skills I honed in the Smoke come in very handy. It does have good bars though. Acquaintance of the wife in Camborne says she hasn't been out in town there in the year she has lived there. the one night she and her husband decided to walk down she had youths yelling 'oi bitch' at her from their car... lovely! I would have thought Camborne was coming up a bit though as they have big student venues like the Corn exchange attracting half decent entertainment.

That is typical of Camborne. Horrid, cheap, nasty place, full of horrid, cheap, nasty people. No disrespect to your wife or her friend.

Truro has some great restaurants and bars and my hub and I frequent the town quite often, but there is no buzz. The majority of the venues are empty (even on a Saturday night). Something wrong somewhere. Falmouth is no better. No soul. The town is swarming with yob students, but they don't have any money and what money they do have, they spend in Wetherspoons.

It's beautiful, I agree, though probably a b*st*rd to heat, but in answer to your question - in another country where prices are less insane.....

It's beautiful, I agree, though probably a b*st*rd to heat, but in answer to your question - in another country where prices are less insane.....

What a gorgeous house. Just the sort of thing I want. Unfortunately it is in a diabolical location, so I won't be buying it. What do they mean by link detached? I thought that was a modern house thing.

What do they mean by link detached? I thought that was a modern house thing.

Means there's probably some sort of ropey garage / scrap yard knocking out cut price ringers attached to lovely house's garage but strategically hidden from the EA's camera by trees.

We live in a link detached new build. On one side our garage is connected to the neighbours' garage, on the other we have a 1 metre gap between us and the other house. Behold the modern developer's definition of detached (from reality)

we're on the 3rd floor & i'll be the one waving to everyone (no doubt hanging over the half-made balcony with a hard hat on! ;) ).

Was it finished?

Or were you making cups of tea for the builders all weekend?

I didn't drive past in the end, some life stuff got in the way and I was stuck 10 miles further north in the **** end of a garage.

Was it finished?

Or were you making cups of tea for the builders all weekend?

I didn't drive past in the end, some life stuff got in the way and I was stuck 10 miles further north in the **** end of a garage.

you mean i did all that waving for nothing?! :huh::P

surprisingly, it was finished! there were a few builder blokes on site for the first day or so, then we never saw anyone else. i think there's 20 spaces in the underground car park (for 52 apartments! :blink: ) & ours was the only car in there for nearly a week, only a couple more were there by the time we left.

quite a few removal/delivery vans appeared last week & more signs of life so when we arrived on 3rd June, we really were the first ones there i think.

it's shown us that when we do eventually buy something, it won't be on Headland Road (couldn't believe how noisey & busy the road was) & it won't be in a big block of apartments either - it felt like a big hotel but with no security :ph34r: it's all well & good having codes for doors etc but everyone was leaving the doors unlocked! i can see some real fun & games in high season...

it was a very nice apartment, pretty spacious & views out over the golf course were very relaxing. i still prefer it over on Esplanade Road though, looking directly out over the sea.

definite evidence of silly season for asking prices, quite a few i've been keeping an eye on have increased - when all the latest figures show drops of up to 60% (!!) in actual selling prices for Newquay. will be very interesting to see the sales figures/prices over summer & then what happens in autumn.

Edited by **Lexxy**

me again! ;)

on our hols, i noticed that the Ocean Gate development at the top of Esplanade Road/Pentire Avenue in Newquay was still just standing there, i'm sure work stopped around last October.

the Agents emailed me in March saying things were going a bit slower than planned & August was now the expected date for a show apartment to be open.

i emailed the Agents for an update now & they've confirmed the developer has gone bust & the administrators are hopefully going to re-market/sell & get it completed. not sure, but this could be the same developer that was doing Rocklands in town? seem to recall they went 'pop' at about the same time...

i'm in contact with another developer about a small build that's due to start later this year, i asked if they could give any estimate on prices at the moment, just as a guide -

7 flats, all full sea view: 1 bed £275k, 2bed £450k, 3bed 'penthouse' :rolleyes: £600k :blink: completion expected Sept 2010.

i emailed them back & said keep me informed, but couldn't resist "...from a potential buyer's POV, i think you're being very optimistic for a years time...latest actual sold prices for Newquay are showing a 60% drop..." :P

Edited by **Lexxy**
me again! ;)

on our hols, i noticed that the Ocean Gate development at the top of Esplanade Road/Pentire Avenue in Newquay was still just standing there, i'm sure work stopped around last October.

the Agents emailed me in March saying things were going a bit slower than planned & August was now the expected date for a show apartment to be open.

i emailed the Agents for an update now & they've confirmed the developer has gone bust & the administrators are hopefully going to re-market/sell & get it completed. not sure, but this could be the same developer that was doing Rocklands in town? seem to recall they went 'pop' at about the same time...

i'm in contact with another developer about a small build that's due to start later this year, i asked if they could give any estimate on prices at the moment, just as a guide -

7 flats, all full sea view: 1 bed £275k, 2bed £450k, 3bed 'penthouse' :rolleyes: £600k :blink: completion expected Sept 2010.

i emailed them back & said keep me informed, but couldn't resist "...from a potential buyer's POV, i think you're being very optimistic for a years time...latest actual sold prices for Newquay are showing a 60% drop..." :P

How the developers have the nerve to charge those ridiculous prices is beyond me!

couldn't believe it myself when i looked recently, detailed on Home.co.uk.

hopefully, i'm reading it right?! :unsure:

Hmm, you're reading it right, but it'd be a lot more meaningful if there were large numbers of sales. One big clifftop mansion sale would change it completely at the moment. Still, a handy thing to show to vendors! :lol:

couldn't believe it myself when i looked recently, detailed on Home.co.uk.

hopefully, i'm reading it right?! :unsure:

Nah, that's pants for the area, because the volumes are too low.

It says terraced were £395k in 2008.... the bulk of terraceds were £200-300k.... it'd be a rare one that was £395k.

Until 2007, a flat in the town would cost you £100k as a starting price. Then all those new builds started completing ... and none of those were under £200k, so you have to think about what's really going on in any area.

i feel a bit of a t*t for quoting that now! :unsure: (i'm sure it gave the developer his LOL moment for the day anyway! :P )

ah well, i'm learning something new every day on this rollercoaster called HPC ;)

because we're only really interested in the Pentire area i've mainly focused on figures for there, i know it's limiting our options for buying but there's no rush.

the Watersedge flats on Esplanade Road - in 2000 (which i think is when they were finished), 2 beds were going for £82,500 - £95,000. In 2005/6 - the same were £190,000 - £250,000.

so, i'm using these figures as my benchmark & trying to gauge from the wider market just where we're back to. it's proving a bit tricky for the Cornwall market, to say the least!

I'm not too familiar with the Newquay market, but this development of just eighteen apartments in St Ives is yet to be built and echoes the clifftop sites of Newquay.

The site has been cleared and boarded off, but as far as I can see, no building work has yet taken place.

Will you buy me?

Perhaps they are waiting for deposits?

Costa Del St Ives.

I'm not too familiar with the Newquay market, but this development of just eighteen apartments in St Ives is yet to be built and echoes the clifftop sites of Newquay.

The site has been cleared and boarded off, but as far as I can see, no building work has yet taken place.

Will you buy me?

Perhaps they are waiting for deposits?

Costa Del St Ives.

The coastline of Cornwall is changing fast. No more fields reaching the cliffs, but empty high rise blocks (ghettos) with vegetation growing around them and the winds whistling through the broken windows. Costa Del Sadness.

'Costa Del St Ives'.

Can't believe that. £750,000 for a two bed flat! Strangely all 'appartments' still available. Probably because they haven't built them yet. So are all the ones in Penzance......got bored of looking at shoeboxes so didn't bother looking at their exmouth development.

• 2 weeks later...
The coastline of Cornwall is changing fast. No more fields reaching the cliffs, but empty high rise blocks (ghettos) with vegetation growing around them and the winds whistling through the broken windows. Costa Del Sadness.

Nearly choked on my pasty on that one!

How much???

There has been quite a lot of St Ives properties in auction over this year, including the old job centre.

Nearly choked on my pasty on that one!

How much???

There has been quite a lot of St Ives properties in auction over this year, including the old job centre.

Since there is hardly any reasonable work in St Ives, that's hardly surprising!