Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Is cornwall still fashionable? Surely Dorset is the new Cornwall?

Cornwall is the No 1 destination in the south west. What these emmets don't realise is that it is the poorest county in the country with the highest water rates and ridiculously expensive council tax.

HOLA449
Cornwall's rubbish.

I wouldn't come here on holdiay or buy a house, especially a second one.

Try Norfolk instead you emmets.

You'll never sell it again!

Norfolk is very nice (and quiet) with big skies. It's very flat though so prone to flooding maybe?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Cornwall's rubbish.

I wouldn't come here on holdiay or buy a house, especially a second one.

Try Norfolk instead you emmets.

Cornwall would be marvellous without tourists eh?

You could all become subsistence farmers, wreckers or serfs to the big landowners.

The roads would be quiet, but you wouldn't be able to afford a car.

The fish would still be taken by the French and Spanish.

You'd all have extra fingers (good for banjos :P ) and even more learning difficulties within two generations. ;)

Great plan.

HOLA4412
The shit is hitting the fan.

Truro was great for shopping, lovely market town with big names and smaller independant shops. If they are closing down in Truro on the run up to Christmas things are obviously very very bad.

Is it true though?

If so I have to agree, if Truro is in trouble, then very shortly house prices will be falling like a stone in Cornwall, barring perhaps the priciest ones with seaviews, cos they're mostly owned by people not affected by the credit crunch.

A bit sceptical, I'd have thought Truro would be the last place in trouble, not the first.

HOLA4413
Is it true though?

If so I have to agree, if Truro is in trouble, then very shortly house prices will be falling like a stone in Cornwall, barring perhaps the priciest ones with seaviews, cos they're mostly owned by people not affected by the credit crunch.

A bit sceptical, I'd have thought Truro would be the last place in trouble, not the first.

Maybe it was just more reliant on "up country" money than the usual St Austell or Plymouth shops. Plymouth has the quantity of people. St Austell has some okay shops, normally at the cheaper end of the market which is good for the locals.

Truro is always a nightmare, you can never park, especially near Christmas.

HOLA4414
Maybe it was just more reliant on "up country" money than the usual St Austell or Plymouth shops. Plymouth has the quantity of people. St Austell has some okay shops, normally at the cheaper end of the market which is good for the locals.

Truro is always a nightmare, you can never park, especially near Christmas.

Where are the shops in St Austell worth visiting? I must be missing something.

HOLA4415
Whereabout are you thinking of buying in Cornwall. The county varies enormously.

Sorry for not replying sooner, been away on a much need holiday! I'd be looking in the Truro area. I could transfer my current job there if i wanted to. I used to live in Cornwall a few years back but its hard to get a good view of whats going on without being on the ground so to speak. How many shops have closed in Truro so far?

HOLA4416
Sorry for not replying sooner, been away on a much need holiday! I'd be looking in the Truro area. I could transfer my current job there if i wanted to. I used to live in Cornwall a few years back but its hard to get a good view of whats going on without being on the ground so to speak. How many shops have closed in Truro so far?

Well, I am sure you are aware how expensive business rates and rentals are in Truro? How on earth can a small shop afford to pay those silly prices? The smaller, independent shops have been coming and going for years. Give them a couple of years and then 'bang', they're gone. I have noticed that there are umpteen leases up for sale, both in prime and secondary locations.

The shoe shop Stead & Simpson and a few surfy-type shops have gone in the high street. Who is next I ask?

HOLA4417
Where are the shops in St Austell worth visiting? I must be missing something.

For everyday shopping for normal Cornish folk there is (or was before they demolished half the town) Argos, Boots, Dorothy Perkins, Accessorise, Clarks and other shoe shops, Peacocks, Adeba (toys & nursery) QS, Select, Woolies, Robert Dyas, WH Smiths and dont forget the wonderful indoor market area by the Church. There are many, many mobile phone shops. There are also the different Planet Shops, mens, ladies, kids. There are some nice cafes and Smorgers is lovely. Food wise there is a butchers and Iceland, with Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and Asda not far away.

St Austell may not be glamorous but it does have enough shops for everyday needs. If you just need a few bits it is much easier to pop into Snozzle then try to park in Truro.

HOLA4418
For everyday shopping for normal Cornish folk there is (or was before they demolished half the town) Argos, Boots, Dorothy Perkins, Accessorise, Clarks and other shoe shops, Peacocks, Adeba (toys & nursery) QS, Select, Woolies, Robert Dyas, WH Smiths and dont forget the wonderful indoor market area by the Church. There are many, many mobile phone shops. There are also the different Planet Shops, mens, ladies, kids. There are some nice cafes and Smorgers is lovely. Food wise there is a butchers and Iceland, with Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and Asda not far away.

St Austell may not be glamorous but it does have enough shops for everyday needs. If you just need a few bits it is much easier to pop into Snozzle then try to park in Truro.

I never realised St Austell had so much to offer. Those who don't live there have always been led to believe that St Austell has been knocked down and is closed. But where on earth do you park in Snozzle?

HOLA4419
I never realised St Austell had so much to offer. Those who don't live there have always been led to believe that St Austell has been knocked down and is closed. But where on earth do you park in Snozzle?

Not been since it was knocked down so not sure how much is left. But I think only the bottom half of the shops went which means Argos and the butchers may have gone but Boots and the others on Fore Street should be fine.

There is quite a big car park right around the back of the Fore Street, by the bowling place. Either that or park in Lidl and walk down (but make sure you buy something on the way back because they do have a warden in the car park sometimes).

HOLA4420

Shops are closing down in Truro are they? I haven't been there for a few months, so have no idea.

What I do find interesting is that here in Falmouth we have a Xen Noodle Bar recently opened, a Domino Pizza opening in the next couple of weeks and a Cafe Nero opening soon. And they are cracking on with the new cinema.

Can't see where all the money is coming from myself.

Conveyancer - By the way, there is no 'U' in Camborne. :)

Edited by NeilP

HOLA4421
Shops are closing down in Truro are they? I haven't been there for a few months, so have no idea.

What I do find interesting is that here in Falmouth we have a Xen Noodle Bar recently opened, a Domino Pizza opening in the next couple of weeks and a Cafe Nero opening soon. And they are cracking on with the new cinema.

Can't see where all the money is coming from myself.

Conveyancer - By the way, there is no 'U' in Camborne. :)

Looks like Falmouth is becoming another generic town!

HOLA4422

Now that the St Austell town centre developer has gone into administration, what is going to happen to the town now?

HOLA4423

sad bint that i am, i quite often tune into South West news on bbc, instead of my very boring East Midlands...

last night they said that the St Austell re-development would continue as planned, at the moment, as the finance/backing for it was completely separate to the bit that's gone belly up.

HOLA4424
Looks like Falmouth is becoming another generic town!

You're not kidding.

I find it sad, but the other week I was sat in a coffee shop in Falmouth, sat in the window by the door, looking out at Market Street. I looked right, then left and I saw not one retail outlet that wasn't either;

1. A bank

2. A building society

3. Part of a large chain of retail stores (Woolworths, WH Smith, Vodaphone), etc.

Yes, another 'generic town' it already is :(

HOLA4425
You're not kidding.

I find it sad, but the other week I was sat in a coffee shop in Falmouth, sat in the window by the door, looking out at Market Street. I looked right, then left and I saw not one retail outlet that wasn't either;

1. A bank

2. A building society

3. Part of a large chain of retail stores (Woolworths, WH Smith, Vodaphone), etc.

Yes, another 'generic town' it already is :(

You didn't happen to be sitting in Costalot Coffee by any chance? Yes, another generic installation!