House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall Watchers

since I was last there... I know there are a handful of hpc users from there so I was wondering what the situation was like down there? Is it still in the midst of the denial phase or are people starting to cut their prices? There seem to be loads of places coming onto the market that aren't shifting - Rightmove is a bit useless now as there's so much on it that it's hard to keep track of price changes. Also - how's the Truro area holding up (looking to buy there at some point - though not now, obviously!)

EDIT: Sorry everyone, just saw this on Home.co.uk, says it all. TEN! TEN! Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Summary of Properties Sold in TR1 in April 2008

Total properties sold: 10

Edited by Antsy
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the majority are still in denial phase....I have noticed properties on RM that were not shifting so seller drops prices a bit but not enough, hence still no sale and then they seen to get taken off the market.

Have you got property bee installed on your system? Its a brilliant tool....

Yes, need to get propertybee but am being a bit slow installing firefox (even though it's simple...). Thanks. Rightmove listings are increasing at about 10 a day for the 3+ bedrooms bracket within 3 miles of TR1. With about 20 properties selling each month (TR1,2 and 3) I can see that hopefully one day I'll be spoilt for choice...

The market is very, very slow down here at the moment, just like everywhere else.

Price falls are starting to increase - I think most are out of the denial stage and more into the 'If we don't talk about it it'll go away' stage. ;)

Truro is no different - a very quiet market and falls starting to appear.......

Excellent, just signed a years' rental contract (house bought 2001, so unless they went MEW crazy, hopefully it won't get repo'ed halfway through). The way forward should be much clearer by then...

heyup I'm in the Snozzle area and things here very subdued - spoke to an EA other day who bemoaned the fact that sellers won't accept that prices have to come down - one place we have our eye on has dropped 10% but the EA dealing seems to think this means a below asking price offer should be treated with contempt - ah well best sit tight for few more months till the HPC does my negotiating for me :rolleyes:

heyup I'm in the Snozzle area and things here very subdued - spoke to an EA other day who bemoaned the fact that sellers won't accept that prices have to come down - one place we have our eye on has dropped 10% but the EA dealing seems to think this means a below asking price offer should be treated with contempt - ah well best sit tight for few more months till the HPC does my negotiating for me :rolleyes:

My information tells me that would be a good move. Snozzle is very quiet at the moment and has been for quite a while. In fact the slowdown started in the second half of last year. The new development up near the new road is a case in point. Lots of people wanting to sell, but the developers still havent sold the new ones yet. The OO are finding that there are too many renters causing noise problems and want out. Thing is noone is buying the new houses let alone the second hand ones on the same estate.

My information tells me that would be a good move. Snozzle is very quiet at the moment and has been for quite a while. In fact the slowdown started in the second half of last year. The new development up near the new road is a case in point. Lots of people wanting to sell, but the developers still havent sold the new ones yet. The OO are finding that there are too many renters causing noise problems and want out. Thing is noone is buying the new houses let alone the second hand ones on the same estate.

is this the Carclaze developement ? some half decent places there - but its a BTL hellhole imo - have a mate living there and he is having a nightmare with a couple of BTL properties near him - 6 cars ,loud late music,rubbish etc , Also know anything on the new decelopement near ALDI? seems to be racing on even when the target audience for these properties, FTB ,are as scarce as beast of dodmin dung.

I drive through Snozzle quite often, recently noticed a good number of FOR SALE signs being replaced by TO LET, also lots of cars for sale parked on the roads outside private homes.

Property section of the local weekly paper showing many houses with either NEW PRICE or REDUCED flags.

I know of six or so houses in the area that have been taken off the market until 'things pick up'…sometimes wonder if I will be around long enough to see them up for sale again :unsure:

is this the Carclaze developement ? some half decent places there - but its a BTL hellhole imo - have a mate living there and he is having a nightmare with a couple of BTL properties near him - 6 cars ,loud late music,rubbish etc , Also know anything on the new decelopement near ALDI? seems to be racing on even when the target audience for these properties, FTB ,are as scarce as beast of dodmin dung.

Yes it is the Carclaze development. The houses there are ok, if you like that sort of thing, I mean one new build development is much like any other. But yes the amount of BTL's there are causing problems. Shame really for those who bought there.

It will be interesting to see how much they but those flats up for near ALDI. I no longer live nearby so I should be grateful if you would up date me if and when you know. The average salary in Snozzle is crap, I would think that the typical FTB would be on less than £15,000, so I can't see how they can price those flats low enough to sell.

I have heard about a lot of redundancies in Snozzle. It all seemed to start when Imerys laid off large quantities of workers a couple of years ago. All those people had to find other jobs and as they were mine workers most had to change careers. Obviously the low skill jobs were in high demand because some of the older workers just didnt want to have to retrain. What with redundancies in the solicitors offices and the estate agents, the tourist trade possibily going quiet as well, it is going to be a tough ride for the town for a bit. Hopefully though those FTBs who manage to keep their jobs will be able to afford to buy somewhere in the next few years. I know Snoozle isnt really a tourist town but once prices start going down in Meva etc it will spread out to the other towns fairly quickly I would have thought.

I have heard about a lot of redundancies in Snozzle. It all seemed to start when Imerys laid off large quantities of workers a couple of years ago. All those people had to find other jobs and as they were mine workers most had to change careers. Obviously the low skill jobs were in high demand because some of the older workers just didnt want to have to retrain. What with redundancies in the solicitors offices and the estate agents, the tourist trade possibily going quiet as well, it is going to be a tough ride for the town for a bit. Hopefully though those FTBs who manage to keep their jobs will be able to afford to buy somewhere in the next few years. I know Snoozle isnt really a tourist town but once prices start going down in Meva etc it will spread out to the other towns fairly quickly I would have thought.

NHS and possibly CCC are the only places you think you get any chance of job security down here, as the two largest employers in the county. RCHT had a bumpy ride a year or two ago and seems to have got away lightly.

CCC is a different story. There will be ALOT of job losses within the next 12 months.

It's grim - just like the weather we are having at the moment! (Looking out a window at work as I type this - bloody horizontal rain in July!)

Edited by NeilP
EDIT: Sorry everyone, just saw this on Home.co.uk, says it all. TEN! TEN! Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Summary of Properties Sold in TR1 in April 2008

Total properties sold: 10

Do you reckon that's an accurate figure ?

I think these stats lag behind a lot - if you looked at this again in maybe three/four months time, you'll most likely see more than 10. Sales volumes ARE definitely down though, but we need to wait longer to work out exactly by how much.

Do you reckon that's an accurate figure ?

I think these stats lag behind a lot - if you looked at this again in maybe three/four months time, you'll most likely see more than 10. Sales volumes ARE definitely down though, but we need to wait longer to work out exactly by how much.

From what I hear the work has totally dried up, whether by that much who knows. Put it this way I wouldnt want to be a conveyancer down there at the moment.

Local Radio this lunchtime, phone in program, had some EA (I think) bleating on about selling apartments in a new development in Newquay.

You get a free car upon completion, dontcha know?

Prices start at £150k and you get a Smart Car.

The most expensive is £1.5m and you get a Mercedes.

Then she came out with the line;

'..When people come down to their second home it would be ideal to have a car waiting for them in the garage....'

I turned off at this point as she was winding me up.

I STILL can't believe that EA are promoting second homes down here. :angry:

There is an open day in Newquay on August 1st when details of what cars are to be given to the other apartments are available.

It will be interesting to see how much they but those flats up for near ALDI. I no longer live nearby so I should be grateful if you would up date me if and when you know. The average salary in Snozzle is crap, I would think that the typical FTB would be on less than £15,000, so I can't see how they can price those flats low enough to sell.

I couldn't resist and took a walk up to Aldi the other day to have a look at these shoeboxes :lol: Sorry I meant ' Exciting chances to enter the booming housing market ' and Lo and Behold big MFI type 'Cut Price Sale On' banners surrounding the building site - I went into the sales office and heard the usual 'great investment' 'last few available' 'property only goes up' cliches that to be honest i didn't think anyone could use without choking - my sole reply of 'I thought we were in the midde of a HPC ?' was met with a silence and a rush to isolate me from two young couples who would have been contaminated by my obvious insanity :lol:

Anyhoo work still goes on apace and I'll update you if I hear any more

Interesting to those in Cornwall - big Auction in Penventon Hotel (Redruth) on 23 July with some half decent properties - this should give us a real clue as to the real trend in Cornwall - have sent for Cat to have a glance and reserves are definately lower than the last Auction - still wait and see

Edited by Toptaffybachboyobutty

you've only got to stroll up the road abit to the 'Urban village' developement to see the fate of new build - loads up for sale and they are looking really grotty already - some are less than 1 year old !!

you've only got to stroll up the road abit to the 'Urban village' developement to see the fate of new build - loads up for sale and they are looking really grotty already - some are less than 1 year old !!

I drove past it yesterday, looks like a faded fairground.

• 3 weeks later...
I drove past it yesterday, looks like a faded fairground.

Aye - and they are expanding the site up into the area that was recently the council vehicles yard - was there yesterday and could not believe the number of units they are trying to cram into such a small area - especially when you see the number of for sale signs in the 'urban village' area

as with lots of new builds round here - Stenalees , carclaze , Charlestown , I know that the BTL contingents make up a fair % of the number of buyers , Problem is when the HPC finaly reaches us , there will be a glut of these available.

• 2 weeks later...