House Price Crash Forum

Stop The Eco Town

HOLA441

_44791495_protesters_pa226bdy.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7480226.stm

Among the protesters was Tony Henman, father of tennis player Tim, who opposes a development close to his village of Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire.

He said: "Gordon Brown said he'd be a listening prime minister and if he's only got to listen a little bit he'll realise that he's got a thoroughly bad idea - unrealistic, unsustainable and definitely not wanted."

Not a bunch of happy bunnies nimbys :lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443
_44791495_protesters_pa226bdy.jpg

Not a bunch of happy bunnies nimbys :lol:

What about the one in Ford they are proposing? Its a stupid location - there is little local employment (apart from the prison) which means lots more commuter traffic on the A27.

Rather than propose eco towns, they ought to create a few eco jobs first.

HOLA444
Guest sillybear2

Hah, the UK is determined to destroy itself, if you're under 30, educated and have ambition just leave. Let the country descend into a selfish cesspit of spoilt boomers, lawless chavs and economically inactive immigrants, they all deserve each other.

In terms of prospects remember that the UK's indigenous energy resources are tapped out and the majority of our gas and oil will be imported, at a time when global demand is insatiable and we have nothing else of value to export in exchange. The lights are guaranteed to go out within a decade because a huge chunk of our electricity capacity is going offline with nothing to replace it apart from a few useless windmills that can never be built in time. South Africa was warned about the very same thing a decade ago, but the government decided to do nothing and hoped for the best just like the UK, now they have rolling black outs and the economy and mining is suffering as a result.

The pension and tax burden of supporting a whole generation of retirees, useless chavs and a bloated public sector will make 'working' in the UK completely intolerable and futile. As for the eco-towns, they will be nothing other than socially engineered $hitholes full of tiny cardboard dolls houses that will sell for a fortune in order to bail out a series of bankrupt house builders and a bankrupt government eager to cash in on land sales. They're welcome to them, no doubt most will simply become huge social housing estates full of work shy chavs that happen to vote the right way.

Anyway, nice and sunny today, isn't it? :lol: I bet the duplicitous f***rs that run this country will also try and find a way of taxing that.

HOLA445
Hah, the UK is determined to destroy itself, if you're under 30, educated and have ambition just leave. Let the country descend into a selfish cesspit of spoilt boomers, lawless chavs and economically inactive immigrants, they all deserve each other.

In terms of prospects remember that the UK's indigenous energy resources are tapped out and the majority of our gas and oil will be imported, at a time when global demand is insatiable and we have nothing else of value to export in exchange. The lights are guaranteed to go out within a decade because a huge chunk of our electricity capacity is going offline with nothing to replace it apart from a few useless windmills that can never be built in time. South Africa was warned about the very same thing a decade ago, but the government decided to do nothing and hoped for the best just like the UK, now they have rolling black outs and the economy and mining is suffering as a result.

The pension and tax burden of supporting a whole generation of retirees, useless chavs and a bloated public sector will make 'working' in the UK completely intolerable and futile. As for the eco-towns, they will be nothing other than socially engineered $hitholes full of tiny cardboard dolls houses that will sell for a fortune in order to bail out a series of bankrupt house builders and a bankrupt government eager to cash in on land sales. They're welcome to them, no doubt most will simply become huge social housing estates full of work shy chavs that happen to vote the right way.

Anyway, nice and sunny today, isn't it? :lol: I bet the duplicitous f***rs that run this country will also try and find a way of taxing that.

Sad, but true.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Did you see this article published last week which pulled no punches with regard to the magnitude of the energy, and economic, crisis facing UK?: A State of Emergency.

I share some of the concerns re proposed 'eco-towns'. Unless local workplaces, shops and services together with mass transit accompany the proposed developments the houses themselves will be about the only item that's 'green'. In the absence of these items the developers will presumably 'cut and run' after making their profits on construction leaving purchasers to commute lengthy distances to work at average of 1.2 occupants per vehicle. The problem is that the large scale (and imminent) energy crunch is about to render such activity unsustainable....it's just that the large majority don't know it yet...and politicians are failing to tell them. The oil price, however, is increasingly telling them!

HOLA448
Did you see this article published last week which pulled no punches with regard to the magnitude of the energy, and economic, crisis facing UK?: A State of Emergency.

I share some of the concerns re proposed 'eco-towns'. Unless local workplaces, shops and services together with mass transit accompany the proposed developments the houses themselves will be about the only item that's 'green'. In the absence of these items the developers will presumably 'cut and run' after making their profits on construction leaving purchasers to commute lengthy distances to work at average of 1.2 occupants per vehicle. The problem is that the large scale (and imminent) energy crunch is about to render such activity unsustainable....it's just that the large majority don't know it yet...and politicians are failing to tell them. The oil price, however, is increasingly telling them!

You ought to pay a visit to South Cambs DC offices and look at their various plans for 'ecotowns' - Northstowe, Handley Grange, Meercat Manor...

Complete shitholes that will simply clog up all the major roads if they ever get built - which I hope they don't - South Cambs is offically the 7th nicest place to live in the UK!

HOLA449

I think this all goes to show that the UK population has grown out of all control. The infrastructure cannot support the influx. We have had water shortages, have road congestion, failing health services and schools. Our quality of life is rapidly being eroded, along with our freedoms. Government must look seriously at these issues which desperately needed addressing as soon as possible.

HOLA4410
Government must look seriously at these issues which desperately needed addressing as soon as possible.

It has. Terror laws used against protestors. National biometric ID, a vast DNA database, huge concentrations of CCTV technology, 42 day internment, Stasiesque snooping at every turn, the politics of fear.

It's done a pretty good job of positioning itself for dicatorship if the people turn against them.

HOLA4411
You ought to pay a visit to South Cambs DC offices and look at their various plans for 'ecotowns' - Northstowe, Handley Grange, Meercat Manor...

Complete shitholes that will simply clog up all the major roads if they ever get built - which I hope they don't - South Cambs is offically the 7th nicest place to live in the UK!

Can I be the first to say, "Die Nimby SCUM!".

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Can I be the first to say, "Die Nimby SCUM!".

Hi Caroline (Flint)

No doubt you will be first in the queue to buy an overpriced cost minimised cardboard box for £300K which will be a miracle if its still standing in 50 let alone 100 years.

Throw in the lack of local facilities, community, or infrastructure......... :ph34r:

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4414
No doubt you will be first in the queue to buy an overpriced cost minimised cardboard box for £300K which will be a miracle if its still standing in 50 let alone 100 years.

Throw in the lack of local facilities, community, or infrastructure......... :ph34r:

Dear Nimby Scum,

Yes. Sounds fine to me. If it's going to be built in the the seventh best area in England (for a minute there you sounded as if you thought we should build where people don't want to live).

Of course there's no community there, they haven't built it yet.

So, your only potentially valid criticism is that you think the houses might not be high enough quality for me. Well that's fine too. We can move some benefits chavs from prime central london there, freeing up a nice house for me here. AND do good for the environment!

HOLA4415

I think you might be right, the Government seems hell bent on creating a huge underclass of people, its almost as though their policies are designed this way, perhaps in the vain hope that they are recruiting a mass of potential voters from these developments. Any sane person would start planning his escape route now, but I still believe in this country and we have to stop the Bxxxxxds.

HOLA4416
Dear Nimby Scum,

Yes. Sounds fine to me. If it's going to be built in the the seventh best area in England (for a minute there you sounded as if you thought we should build where people don't want to live).

So, your only potentially valid criticism is that you think the houses might not be high enough quality for me. Well that's fine too. We can move some benefits chavs from prime central london there, freeing up a nice house for me here. AND do good for the environment!

Hi Caz

You have been up this way quite a bit recently promoting your eco towns / eco house concepts - complete with revolutionary water butt and tuppleware box under the sink :blink:

Sure - I don't think building thousands of houses with no access to rail links is a good idea given the fact that the A14 is at standstill most days. IMO the focus of development in this Country should be the Midlands / North where the investment /jobs are needed - and by and large the housing stock already available. I'm surprised you don't agree - these areas are the labour heartlands. Move loads of people down this way and they all turn into tory voters :lol:

Yup - all in all you can stick your eco towns where the sun don't shine. They won't happen anyway - all the developers are pulling out (I know this for a fact), the Govt is bust (well you would know that of course). Anyway by the time anyone gets round to thinking about ecotowns the Tories will be in govt and many of the influential ones have seats round here - such as Andy Lansley :P

HOLA4417
Sure - I don't think building thousands of houses with no access to rail links is a good idea given the fact that the A14 is at standstill most days. IMO the focus of development in this Country should be the Midlands / North where the investment /jobs are needed - and by and large the housing stock already available. I'm surprised you don't agree - these areas are the labour heartlands. Move loads of people down this way and they all turn into tory voters :lol:

The roads should become a bit better now that petrol prices are up and everyone's getting poorer. If we build more towns up North it will just encourage more fat slackers to live on benefits / government jobs. Plus they won't need much heating in the balmy South so it's better for the world.

Seriously, why are you against the Eco towns? Got something against cuddly polar bears and the rain forest?

HOLA4418
Dear Nimby Scum,

They wont get built, we are heading for a major recession, the building companies are not going to spend their money or perhaps you had,nt noticed that they are all in financial difficulties, on the verge of bankruptcy, just like Her Majestys government and the Labour Party machine for that matter which to me is quite appropriate and a sort of justice really. If we are really lucky we will see the Labour party disappear altogether from the political scene, what a gift that would be and the recession would then be a price worth paying.

As for the expected rise in the population from immigration which appears to be the driver for this, the govt probably based their assumptions on the last ten years growth, the likelyhood now is of people staying away in droves, there is no work for them. Their was a huge requirment for construction only eighteen months ago, supplied from Eastern Europe etc, but these people are all going home, or had,nt you noticed.

HOLA4419
They wont get built, we are heading for a major recession, the building companies are not going to spend their money or perhaps you had,nt noticed that they are all in financial difficulties, on the verge of bankruptcy, just like Her Majestys government and the Labour Party machine for that matter which to me is quite appropriate and a sort of justice really. If we are really lucky we will see the Labour party disappear altogether from the political scene, what a gift that would be and the recession would then be a price worth paying.

As for the expected rise in the population from immigration which appears to be the driver for this, the govt probably based their assumptions on the last ten years growth, the likelyhood now is of people staying away in droves, there is no work for them. Their was a huge requirment for construction only eighteen months ago, supplied from Eastern Europe etc, but these people are all going home, or had,nt you noticed.

Absolutely - and rental prices in Cambridge are starting to reflect that.

The peasant army are deserting us in droves - the food outlets are struggling to find workers. Higher skill migrants such as Australians and Kiwi's are heading back home - Blimey mate - Englands going down the dunny

HOLA4420
The roads should become a bit better now that petrol prices are up and everyone's getting poorer. If we build more towns up North it will just encourage more fat slackers to live on benefits / government jobs. Plus they won't need much heating in the balmy South so it's better for the world.

Seriously, why are you against the Eco towns? Got something against cuddly polar bears and the rain forest?

On the contrary Caroline. If you do your homework you will find that Mr. Barlow is one of the most eco conscious forum members here putting what he preaches into practice. ;)

HOLA4421
Absolutely - and rental prices in Cambridge are starting to reflect that.

The peasant army are deserting us in droves - the food outlets are struggling to find workers. Higher skill migrants such as Australians and Kiwi's are heading back home - Blimey mate - Englands going down the dunny

Yep were in the "Brown" stuff all right tee hee!!

HOLA4422

no, dont leave. join the dole. easy life for youeself and helps bring this shit system down faster.

if there was a mass movement for workers quitting their jobs and going on the dole as a protest i would sign up in a heart beat!

1m off work onto the dole equates to about £25B PA difference.

HOLA4423

Its the jobs stupid!

Each Eco-Town needs to have jobs so they don't commute to other towns/cities.

IMO a good idea would be to move government workers out of London selling the VERY EXPENSIVE central London buildings to pay for new ones in the ECO-Towns.

These towns are to have 12k homes in them on average. So would need some 20k Jobs for the population. If the government supplies 5-10K of the jobs the private sector will provide the others to support them.

Win win situation, no?

Alternatively, Encourage A university to move into the center of an “eco-town”.

I know my old university in the heart of central London would make a ABSOLUTE KILLING from selling their property and moveing to a town!! the advantage here would be that the 15,000 students and 5,000 teachers and researchers would prove a good stream of income for the locals. Then you would not need to commute out of the town.

In both examples you can ban cars as everyone would live close to where they work! Would be lovely!!

also provide electric rickshaws for movement when it is raining!