House Price Crash Forum

The Darkness Is Coming

It's been a funny old June.

Americans are living in their vehicles as their currency plunges, unhelped by the unconvincing verbal support of the Fed and the US Government. The price it costs to drive those vehicles is higher than its ever been in terms of petrol prices.

Over here, hundreds of thousands of mortgage holders are seeing 25% increases in their payments and their choice of mortgages to shift over to has dramatically declined. Inflation is at 10%, producer prices are rocketing as are staples like food, energy and water

Three major banks and the Bank of International Settlements are predicting everything from extreme financial market turbulence to a complete meltdown.

Would someone smarter and cleverer than me please tell all of us just what is going to happen, how it's going to affect our lives and work and when it will be over?

Thanks in advance. :(

Cant explain all the feelings that your making me feel.

The markets in overdrive and no ones behind the steering wheel..

Ditto, pavlovblack.

Something bad this way comes, and I need someone to help me understand it. I need to understand how to protect myself, my loved ones and my business.

I should have listened to the voices telling me in 2006 not to expand and double the workforce. I didn't and embarked on a one-man wealth destruction fest. Sounds like they'll be an awful lot of that to come in the next 18 months - self-imposed and imposed by others.

I blame the Daleks.

:lol:

Funnily enough, in Sossij Towers I have been referring to the oncomming collapse of the western financial system as The Great Darkness.... not that anyone listens, mind.

Edited by sossij

Americans are living in their vehicles as their currency plunges, unhelped by the unconvincing verbal support of the Fed and the US Government. The price it costs to drive those vehicles is higher than its ever been in terms of petrol prices.

Over here, hundreds of thousands of mortgage holders are seeing 25% increases in their payments and their choice of mortgages to shift over to has dramatically declined. Inflation is at 10%, producer prices are rocketing as are staples like food, energy and water

Three major banks and the Bank of International Settlements are predicting everything from extreme financial market turbulence to a complete meltdown.

But apart from that, everythings alright!

Would someone smarter and cleverer than me please tell all of us just what is going to happen, how it's going to affect our lives and work and when it will be over?

Thanks in advance. :(

It all depends if the banking system survives.

If it clings on we'll get some sort of insane depression stretching years and some sort of martial law..

If it completely collapses and vanishes we'll be fine after a much shorter downturn. Actually more than fine, because the government won't be able to afford to do a great deal to stop recovery with it's various insanities. Sounds mad, given how much they control right now, but without inflationary powers they are up shit street.

Either way, gold is coming back in some form or other as money (at some point after they confiscate but before they throw in the towel.) This is a good thing for society because most gold bugs live on the personal freedom end of the political spectrum and they will have the economic and therefore social power. Particularly in the US the patriot movement is big on gold and silver and also big on small government, the consititution Ron Paul etc etc

Expect economic downturn, debt relief, complete political system change in the UK but done in a relatively benign way and a shooting war and probably seccesions etc in the US as the federation breaks up and some brown trousers in the rest of the world as we all panic about their vast nuclear arsenal being in the hands of some militia redneck from Bum******, Nebraska. Oh wait, it already is.

Riots, strikes, power cuts, state failure, infrastructure collapse, unpaid employees, looting, court and police systems overwhelmed, queueing for essentials like petrol, rationing etc etc. Labour will have finally pushed us into their dream world - that of East Germany before the wall came down.

----------------------------

As for work -

If you work in construction -you are ******ed.

If you are an EA/BTL/etc - you are ******ed.

If you work for the government in non essentials (to the government) - you are ******ed.

If you work for the banking sector - you are ******ed.

If you are on government hand outs - you are ******ed.

If you are living on a pension or other fixed income such as stocks or shares - you are ******ed.

If you have savings in a bank that you need to rely on- you are ******ed.

If your income is from overseas - you are ******ed.

If you get your money from people who work in the above sectors in a secondary fashion - you are ******ed.

Anyone without actual skills of actual use in day to day life had better learn some asap. The best thing about all this is that it's self curing - people will adapt quickly and move on. Most don't see it that way, but our stock market, government and banking systems are a massive, massive burden on the average person, one that they aren't aware of but can see in the fact that both parents need to work, they never have any free time, can't smoke in the pub, are filmed everywhere etc etc

All of the above is just random thoughts based on my knowledge of other big state/banking failures. No 100%, no guarantees. 100% we'll get some of it, 50% we'll get all of it, imo.

(I'm noit smarter than you, btw - just read more doomy stuff I guess!)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I'd say it's the beginning of a new world order.

In Asia kids study and work hard, in my home town they lie down in front of buses playing chicken. :unsure:

Bus drivers should be encouraged to play their part in natural selection.

edit: We're all ******ing doomed, I tell ya. Ye'd best start believin' in Depressions people. Ye're in one!

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I'd say it's the beginning of a new world order.

In Asia kids study and work hard, in my home town they lie down in front of buses playing chicken. :unsure:

Even when I was at school about 20 years ago the trend to take the soft options was starting. Our economy has little chance of coming out of this recession in good shape (where's all the investment in alternative energy, foreign languages, etc?). Maths and Mandarin A-levels should be compulsory.

Funnily enough, in Sossij Towers I have been referring to the oncomming collapse of the western financial system as The Great Darkness.... not that anyone listens, mind.

This what people hear if you try to discuss it

"Have you any idea how bad this situa....[mmmm wonder what to have for tea tonight.....Sheesh spitting in someones face on live TV uuurgh ....... ooh look how dirty my shoes are must give them a clean .... wow this waffling windbag is wacko..] .... so don't say you've not been warned.

If it clings on we'll get some sort of insane depression stretching years and some sort of martial law..

If it completely collapses and vanishes we'll be fine after a much shorter downturn. Actually more than fine, because the government won't be able to afford to do a great deal to stop recovery with it's various insanities. Sounds mad, given how much they control right now, but without inflationary powers they are up shit street.

Either way, gold is coming back in some form or other as money (at some point after they confiscate but before they throw in the towel.) This is a good thing for society because most gold bugs live on the personal freedom end of the political spectrum and they will have the economic and therefore social power. Particularly in the US the patriot movement is big on gold and silver and also big on small government, the consititution Ron Paul etc etc

Expect economic downturn, debt relief, complete political system change in the UK but done in a relatively benign way and a shooting war and probably seccesions etc in the US as the federation breaks up and some brown trousers in the rest of the world as we all panic about their vast nuclear arsenal being in the hands of some militia redneck from Bum******, Nebraska. Oh wait, it already is.

Riots, strikes, power cuts, state failure, infrastructure collapse, unpaid employees, looting, court and police systems overwhelmed, queueing for essentials like petrol, rationing etc etc. Labour will have finally pushed us into their dream world - that of East Germany before the wall came down.

As for work -

If you work for the government in non essentials (to the government) - you are ******ed.

If you are living on a pension or other fixed income such as stocks or shares - you are ******ed.

If you get your money from people who work in the above sectors in a secondary fashion - you are ******ed.

Anyone without actual skills of actual use in day to day life had better learn some asap. The best thing about all this is that it's self curing - people will adapt quickly and move on. Most don't see it that way, but our stock market, government and banking systems are a massive, massive burden on the average person, one that they aren't aware of but can see in the fact that both parents need to work, they never have any free time, can't smoke in the pub, are filmed everywhere etc etc

All of the above is just random thoughts based on my knowledge of other big state/banking failures. No 100%, no guarantees. 100% we'll get some of it, 50% we'll get all of it, imo.

couldnt have put it better

arent fiat currencies just great

British_Pound.jpg

What's your prediction for the internet, Injin?

I'm printing off anything I might want later on.

Think the net will still be there, but the power might not be for some of us. I'd also expect some sort of doomed to fail, half assed censorship effort from the governments - but they don't understand this stuff and most techies delight in running rings around the authorities so it's not gonna work.

As for work -

I applaud your optimism for the self correcting nature of society, Injin but one thing that worries me is the potential rise of fascism putting a giant jack-boot in the works. The shell-shocked people reeling from the effects of your list will be likely prey for anyone offering easy solutions and providing targets in the form of scapegoats. Might I suggeset vigilence against extremism will also be required in the coming Darkness?

Edited by sossij
couldnt have put it better

arent fiat currencies just great

British_Pound.jpg

just for those who think fiat currencies are great

Sinking Currencies

Fiat money is not directly convertible into a physical commodity at a specified amount. It is a type of credit money through which a central bank issues notes in exchange for interest-paying bonds by the government. The interest on these bonds is paid by the government primarily through the process of taxation. That is to say, by you and me.

Since the interest plus the principle always exceeds the initial amount borrowed, the government must continually borrow more money, at additional interest, in order to repay the central bank, thus beginning an ever-increasing spiral of debt.

Eventually, the system collapses once the fiat money becomes worthless when the government is unable or unwilling to support its value through taxation. Until then, the government creditors are able to accumulate extreme amounts of wealth.

Guest Steve Cook
I applaud your optimism for the self correcting nature of society, Injin but one thing that worries me is the potential rise of fascism putting a giant jack-boot in the works. The shell-shocked people reeling from the effects of your list will be likely prey for anyone offering easy solutions and providing targets in the form of scapegoats. Might I suggeset vigilence against extremism will also be required in the coming Darkness?

Exactly sossij. History repeatedly shows that when times are really tough, people don't choose freedom of choice, they choose a strong-arm leader who promises to protect them. The trouble with this is that such leaders usually exact a very high price indeed for this service.

Better make some important decisions in the very near future as to which side you are on

Or whether it is better to be on none, of course....

Edited by Steve Cook
I applaud your optimism for the self correcting nature of society, Injin but one thing that worries me is the potential rise of fascism putting a giant jack-boot in the works. The shell-shocked people reeling from the effects of your list will be likely prey for anyone offering easy solutions and making the making of scapegoats. Might I suggeset vigilence against extremism will also be required in the coming Darkness?

I've said this elsewhere and I'll say it again - the great hope I have is that people tend to do the opposite of whatever has just been occuring when things fail. Right now, we have a weird totalitariansm via arguments from morality - I expect and hope that people will want to do the opposite of what they have just had once the consequences are known.

We've had prosperity and big statism.

I expect depression and a push for more freedom. Not only are there enough people talking about this stuff to make some sort of impact - the actual day to day experience of people will be that as government stops doing things like Rfid tagging their bins and hassling them in the street for drinking/smoking they are happier, even without the prospeity.

Or so I hope. The danger is definitely there though, you are right.

This darkness is getting bad quickly.

It like Adolf Hitler's Nazi Forces marching into town and taking occupation. Pilaging is taking place now. There are some people in denial, some still asleep, but HPCer doom mongers have heard the Panzer tanks engines rumbling in the distance a long time ago.

panzer.jpg

Edited by notanewmember