House Price Crash Forum

The Economy Has Died

Guest KingCharles1st

A few years ago the dentist I'd used for years stopped doing NHS work and went 100% private. I stayed with him for a while but soon got sick of paying £20 a month into a 'dental plan' for nothing.

Last week I had toothache and in desperation rang him. Surprise, surprise, he was delighted to welcome me back as an NHS patient. I signed up the rest of the family too!

Chatting to him it seems that his private patients are now fleeing in droves and things are beginning to look a bit bleak.

Needless to say, my heart bled...

Funny how attitudes change when the easy money dries up. Nice to have you back as NHS when he needs that income.

I live where private pay or private insurance is standard. My dentist closed up shop without a word and his phone was no longer in service! So, I went to a dentist I saw 20 years ago. "Yes, the desk girl said, we take new patients. What company is your insurance company"? Well, I don't have insurance, I am private pay. Then the fear came over her face. Well, even the dentist was a bit afraid to look me over and tell me what I needed. Until I paid my first bill in full within two days, now they are all smiles.

But I sensed fear when they knew I had no insurance. I'm sure they have been burned many times by people who fail to pay. Funny how having money makes you a 'real person'.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id kinda disagree (in principle). I believe that a lot less people will be buying new cars, which in turn means more older cars on the roads and therefore increased numbers of repairs / mots. :unsure:

Maybe it also means more home repairs, but this said modern cars are much harder to work on than cars I drove 10 years ago :(

A colleague recently scrapped her car after it failed MOT and repairs to pass would cost over £1K.

Garage owner (or maybe scrap dealer?? - can't remember exact details) told her that many people aren't even doing that. Many come in, fail MOT and drive around anyway.

Large increase in untaxed, uninsured drivers coming up.

Edit: Just to clarify - Car was still driveable - cat poisoned, but colleague wanted to "do the right thing".

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

Maybe a lot of people take a chance.

How many policemen do you see taking pictures of your numberplates anyway?

If someone is careful not to get any fines they could probably get away with it.

I would be curious to know what % of cars on the roads are untaxed.

Apparently making fake tax discs is VERY lucrative these days.

I've got some Babyliss clippers with oil-free blades!

Decided to do my own hair when the local barber put his prices up from £5 to £7.... <_<

got my hair cut ---- 30 quid !!!!

next time i needed a haircut got some clippers ---- 27 quid !!!!!

thats 3 quid less..... and I didn't have to make a trip to the barber...

If someone is careful not to get any fines they could probably get away with it.

Sorry about replying to my own post, but just had to add this

Thing is, since the computerisation of the MoT and insurance database, any police or DVLA VNR camera can tell if a car has a valid MoT, tax or insurance. More like a rise in stolen or fake number plates I reckon.

Maybe this is all another ie from the lizard men.

I drove around for almost 6 weeks without valid road tax- (by accident).

My car was used almost every day, and I did about 2000 motoway miles during this time, nearly all of it in the south east, and it included about 10 trips through the Dartford crossing.

I then taxed my car after the 6 weeks and they didn't even ask me to pay the missed month, just made me pay for the whole of the month I was in. I didn't even have to explain that I forget. They didn't ask a single question about the missing month.

Fake tax discs only deter traffic wardens or passing interest. As for number checking, I see it regularly around here. They sey up a tripod and VNR camera on a bypass or a popular shortcut, link it to a computer and it reads the plates of cars as they pass. On one of those many documentaries on TV, I've seen that police cars fitted with VNR simply have to drive up and down a street of parked cars. The computer reads the nos, checks the database and sounds a siren / alarm when it sees (sorry, 'detects') one that is illegal.

I don't think this happens on motorways though. If anybody 'missed' a month, it must have been quite some time ago, or the car wasn't registered to you. For the last few years, failure to renew a tax disc or delaring it SORN generates an automatic fine of £80.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

My car is 13 years old. I'd planned to swap it for a much newer secondhand car, but instead we had the old car patched up for its MOT and keep going - better to sit on the cash and wait for secondhand car prices to plummet - I reckon they will.

[Reason for editing witheld]

Edited by blankster
OH was at the barber's today. He said it had been dead for weeks, hardly any customers. My hairdresser said the same a couple of weeks ago.

Has that anything to do with the fact that so many men either have their hair so short they can buzz it with shaver or they're growing it longer and don't need it cut so often?

Maybe this is all another ie from the lizard men.

I drove around for almost 6 weeks without valid road tax- (by accident).

My car was used almost every day, and I did about 2000 motoway miles during this time, nearly all of it in the south east, and it included about 10 trips through the Dartford crossing.

I then taxed my car after the 6 weeks and they didn't even ask me to pay the missed month, just made me pay for the whole of the month I was in. I didn't even have to explain that I forget. They didn't ask a single question about the missing month.

Some years back I drove around for 6 months without an MOT. Not deliberately mind you - I bought an ex-demonstrator that had 6 months tax and then bought a year's tax thereafter, and forgot to MOT it as a result when it was 3 years old. Never had any questions asked as to why I was MOTing it 6 months late.

Hi kennichi,

Any particular businesses / trades hit more heavily than others?

M21er

Its not easy to tell because we are still doing the accounts of 2007 and thus there is a lag in results, hence a lot of reductions in payments on account are based on estimates. Also a great deal of people have gone ltd company route therefore its not really applicable , I've been seeing a lot of ( ) at the bottom of P&L accounts though.

But property types have been tanking for years, the thing is you can't exactly reduce payments on account for them if they had a loss the year before and the year before.

I've been seeing a lot of ( ) at the bottom of P&L accounts though.

tell me about it. mind you most of our clients are so poor they are on tax credits anyway :lol:

my 2p

i regularly order stuff for work from ebuyer.com (yes, yes i know what people say about them but i've never had any problems, honest).

as i am a cheapskate i usually opt for the 5 day freebie delivery and i've recently noticed that these were getting quicker and quicker.

in the early hours of today i ordered some stuff and got an e-mail mid-morning saying it was picked + on the wagon to come tomorrow.

so i guess they aren't rushed off their feet, then. :unsure:

also noticed the slower traffic / less traffic thing as well. on monday i was bimbling along a bit of dual carriageway and realised that no-one was pasting past me as per usual. surreal really - all this traffic trying to slipstream each other to save a bit of fuel.

me? i'm waiting for steve cook to pull his finger out and build me a diesel motorbike which runs on everything from lard to diesel & all points inbetween. :P

Some years back I drove around for 6 months without an MOT. Not deliberately mind you - I bought an ex-demonstrator that had 6 months tax and then bought a year's tax thereafter, and forgot to MOT it as a result when it was 3 years old. Never had any questions asked as to why I was MOTing it 6 months late.

Having no valid MoT is quite a minor offence compared to missing the other documents. As it says on the back, having an MoT does not indicate the roadworthiness of a car. No MoT is a small fine (about £100), having bald tyres & no lights is £1000 ish + points. Its about being a danger to other road-users. Having no tax, however, is classed as duty evasion.

That said, you have to have a valid MoT to tax a car which is the reminder most people get 'cos they don't send out MoT reminders from DVLA, yet.

My Dad owns a garage and I can vouch for this, he says that no one is spending any money on cars at the moment, I was explaining to him months ago that this was to be expected, and now he agrees.

The Renault and Nissan dealerships in Cirencester closed down last week. Both owned by the same company but have been around for years.

Thing is, since the computerisation of the MoT and insurance database, any police or DVLA VNR camera can tell if a car has a valid MoT, tax or insurance. More like a rise in stolen or fake number plates I reckon.

Interesting point...so why do we need to display a valid tax disc in the appropriate place on the windscreen?...makes no sense to me.

I presume its to demonstrate to other road users and traffic wardens, etc that you have paid your tax. Germany still has one on their licence plates.

It also shows that for 1 day in the year at least :rolleyes: , the car had an MoT and insurance.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie
Interesting point...so why do we need to display a valid tax disc in the appropriate place on the windscreen?...makes no sense to me.

It's because of how the collect.

THey just have men in vans going up and down streets. If your disc is out of date, they clamps or tow your car and then you get to pay them nice big fat fees to get it back.

Or, if the MOT and the tax is out of date they get to keep your car for good because it's impossible to get a car MOT'd that's sat in a pound.

Conversely, there's a week waiting list to get your bike serviced - and that's at just one of the half a dozen bike shops in a 2 sq mile radius in Brighton ;)

My local bike shop seems to be continuing to be able to sell very expensive mountain bikes to fat affluent locals for 300 quid upwards. So much so that he's not getting his increased workload of normal bike work done as rapidly as he would like.

Of course, we need to bear in mind that this is very much a weather dependant industry and they don't sell much during winter! If they didn't have their busy season now then I would see it as a sign of severe crash as people would be doing their own repairs.

TFH

PS: Another quid's worth of petrol saved by cycling to the supermarket. I could get into this austerity business. Might lose some beer belly in the process as well :lol:

It's because of how the collect.

THey just have men in vans going up and down streets. If your disc is out of date, they clamps or tow your car and then you get to pay them nice big fat fees to get it back.

Or, if the MOT and the tax is out of date they get to keep your car for good because it's impossible to get a car MOT'd that's sat in a pound.

Yes...but if all of this information is readily available and related to a registration number, computerised or 'on the database' (horrors)...then why do we need to have a mickey mouse bit of paper glued to the windscreen?? :blink:

the company i work for is a small manufacturer. we ship around 300 items a day on average, a little bit seasonal with the slowish months being from feb-august.

we went from 220 people down to 60 in the last year. for the last few months i have honestly sat on my fat **** and done nothing, as there is no work to do (my role is reactionary related to the production line, but seeing as they arent very busy nothing is going wrong)

across the road from us is a large DHL depot. normally their parking lot is devoid of trucks, all of them out on the road at all times. Lately I can go for a smoke break at 10am and count upwards of 15 trucks standing around doing nothing much, not even getting loaded.

if it is a good day we send out about 50 items now. from peak last year of 300 down to 50...sad indeed. my role in the company is safe, as long as the company exists..but if the company doesnt grow then career prospects within the company dry up

everyone i speak to is suddenly a housing expert..yes, it is crashing, yes, any fool could see it

except when i was shooting low warning shots across the bow about this topic last year i was looked at in stunned amazement for being such a naysaying idiot.

Edited by madmax2