House Price Crash Forum

Newbury (berkshire) Whats Happening?

NewburyPaul

• 6 months later...
Hi,

Anyone else from Newbury on here? Any insider info?

Prices seem to be falling but only slowly at the moment................

Cheers,

Paul

we will have to wait and see what happens when Vodafone start moving to London in the new year. However, looking at home.co.uk http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1 and looking at how few transactions are actually occurring, I am guessing that local estate agents will start refusing to market overpriced property in the new year (I have friends who are trying to sell in Newbury and who have been refused to be marketed by a local estate agent because they refused to drop the price of their property!)

I have been helping my brother to buy in Newbury. In 6 months we have gone from flats, to 2 bed terraces, to 3 bed semis all at his price point. If it carries on he will be looking at 4 bed detached in a year or two, all for the same money.

Must have been a massive flat and poxy 4 bed det. Newbury has seen an av of -20% on most dwellings since summer 07. 25% max on flats and 10-15% on more sought after properties.

Given that a bottom could be say 30%+ off summer 07 you may consider buying in the next 6 months.

But you may think that it will fall more than that.

There are signs already that activity is picking up as buyers can visualise the bottom and price it in to their offers.

What is clear is that the rate of falls are considerably quicker than in previous cycles, so a bottom will be reached more quickly.

Why is Vodafone moving to London when it has a HQ north of Newbury?

Must have been a massive flat and poxy 4 bed det. Newbury has seen an av of -20% on most dwellings since summer 07. 25% max on flats and 10-15% on more sought after properties.

Given that a bottom could be say 30%+ off summer 07 you may consider buying in the next 6 months.

But you may think that it will fall more than that.

There are signs already that activity is picking up as buyers can visualise the bottom and price it in to their offers.

What is clear is that the rate of falls are considerably quicker than in previous cycles, so a bottom will be reached more quickly.

Why is Vodafone moving to London when it has a HQ north of Newbury?

Various departments are shifting to London (Global Marketing I believe was one of the departments) - No idea why, but was told this by an ex Voda employee who worked for Global Marketing

I'm in Newbury and there are a few places shifting. Up here on Wash Common houses are selling

Sales recently added within 500 metres

• 8, Goodwin Walk, RG14 6SD - Sold for £174,950 on 24-10-2008

8 Goodwin Walk,

Newbury,

West Berkshire,

RG14 6SD £168,000

Terraced

Freehold

Not New Build 28-Jul-2006

Map (RG14 6SD)

• 5, Villiers Way, RG14 6SA - Sold for £250,000 on 16-10-2008

5 Villiers Way,

Newbury,

West Berkshire,

RG14 6SA £183,000

Semi-Detached

Freehold

Not New Build 15-Jun-2001

Map (RG14 6SA)

• 25, Gorselands, RG14 6PU - Sold for £175,000 on 19-09-2008

27 Gorselands,

Newbury,

West Berkshire,

RG14 6PU £118,000

Flat

Leasehold

Not New Build 19-Jul-2001

Map (RG14 6PU)

Sure it's slow but things are moving....slowly...

Vodaphone has a history of shifting jobs/depts around.

The HQ was built for about for 1k less than the local staff level at the time. Now some have also gone to Theale.

There is absolutely no chance of the HQ shutting down and moving out..The odd department a company doth not make.

Cheers

Richard

• 8, Goodwin Walk, RG14 6SD - Sold for £174,950 on 24-10-2008

8 Goodwin Walk,

Newbury,

West Berkshire,

RG14 6SD £168,000

Terraced

Freehold

Not New Build 28-Jul-2006

Map (RG14 6SD)

Whaaaat? :blink:

Someone paid more than the July 2006 price in October 08?

Has this house had an enormous extension built?

Has the buyer been living in a cave since Autumn 07?

• 2 months later...

Houses still selling round here. Some friends need to sell to emigrate to AU (wife being Australian) house sold and no chain either..

A few better ones on the market, I am watching one in the next street to us to see if that makes a sale. I would love to move there myself but can't stump up 380k req'd :blink:

http://www.globrix.com/property-details/15...-detached_house

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

VF slowly leaving Newbury to separate Global and UK organisations.

About 250 staff including the top hotshots have moved to Paddington office from Newbury last month.

Add to that Vodafone let go approx 500 people in April..

If this continues the house price and rentals are going to hit a rock bottom in the near future??

Ajex

If this continues the house price and rentals are going to hit a rock bottom in the near future??

Long overdue IMHO. The excessive old Vodafone relocation package (have a 5 bed house in a rundown area? have a brand spanking new 5 bed house in Newbury then, we'll pay) pushed house prices in Newbury well above anything sensible for the area.

Edited by Uitlander

• 2 weeks later...

First we must discount the term sensible from the discussion.

That aside Newbury is as close to a nice market town you'll get around here. It's the rose between two thorns (aka Blazinsmoke and Robbing)

Having spent my youth in and around the region, Newbury is the only town I would ever consider living in around these parts. It's actually not that expensive either when compared to the opposition. The semi's in Wash common are roughly the same price as Brighton Hill. So why do you consider them comparatively inflated? The schools are -in the main- pretty good. Not too much crime. etc etc

As I have said many times before. "Newbury is a great place to bring up kids, I just wouldn't want to be a kid growing up here.."

Moved here 9 years ago and more than happy to stay ;-)

First we must discount the term sensible from the discussion.

<snip>

The semi's in Wash common are roughly the same price as Brighton Hill. So why do you consider them comparatively inflated? The schools are -in the main- pretty good. Not too much crime. etc etc

I think you've already answered your own question. :-)

Department of Transport / First Great Western did a lot to take the wealth off the town. Back in the 80s and early 90s I would leave home about 0745 from the country where I lived outside Newbury, park for free on the road outside the train station, get whisked to Paddington in 38 minutes on the express train, and take 18 minutes on the tube to the office.

Since then the following has gone wrong:

1. The farm I lived next to is now a housing estate with a 20% social quota (anti-social), near the bypass.

2. It takes twice as long to drive in due to 30mph restrictions in the built up areas (used to only be the town centre that had speed limits), the enormous number of roundabouts, especially all the new mini-roundabouts

3. There is nowhere to park these days, and you have to pay for it now

4. The old 38 minute train to Paddington is now about 65 minutes

5. Paddington tube shuts due to overcrowding in the mornings about 0830

6. The Americans bought my employer and moved them to Canary Wharf so it takes about 45 minutes on the tube

7. Americans start work at 8am and go on until 7pm instead of the old 9:30am-5pm for the English.

I used to leave home at 0745, last month I tried it again from a relatives house, and I had to leave home at 0530 to be in the office on time, and didn't get back until 9:45pm. That is why I left Newbury.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots for sale -nothin moving up here on Wash Common..

I know people who've been trying to sell there for a few months, lovely place at what seems like a reasonable price relative to the rest of the market but, apart from a couple of viewings early on by people who apparently didn’t come over as serious buyers, no interest at all.

A stagnant market in the most desirable parts of places like Newbury strongly suggests to me that this recovery has run out of steam.

I can’t imagine an area less dependent on public sector money for its prosperity so it can’t be fear of upcoming cuts that is making buyers hesitant there.

• 1 month later...

I know people who've been trying to sell there for a few months, lovely place at what seems like a reasonable price relative to the rest of the market but, apart from a couple of viewings early on by people who apparently didn’t come over as serious buyers, no interest at all.

A stagnant market in the most desirable parts of places like Newbury strongly suggests to me that this recovery has run out of steam.

I can’t imagine an area less dependent on public sector money for its prosperity so it can’t be fear of upcoming cuts that is making buyers hesitant there.

I think the latest RICS housing market survey sums it up best with a comment at the end from a local Newbury EA "No confidence, limited mortgage, cautious buyers, bad outlook"