House Price Crash Forum

Fuel Strikes This Weekend, Drivers Advised To Fill Up

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better response than I was expecting. I thought someone would return with the usual "limited gene pool" accusation!

Seriously, though, have you noticed any longer than normal queues? During the last petrol strike it got pretty grim, but there were no signs of panic buying today.

No, I haven't noticed any queues longer than normal at all. I have noticed that 2 garages have had bags over unleaded pumps, these are Esso and Jet. I don't think it's panic buying that's caused it though, just awaiting deliveries maybe.

I think the outcome of the last minute talks that are taking place will determine what we see at the garage forecourts tomorrow.

Seriously, though, have you noticed any longer than normal queues? During the last petrol strike it got pretty grim, but there were no signs of panic buying today.

Thats because we've seen this so many times now it's beginning to get boring. One day there may actually be a genuine shortage and I'll get caught out, but not this time.

Just filled up at local Tesco (North Cornwall) and queues were no longer than usual.

Either the Cornish are too sanguine or too skint to panic. Not sure which!

Drove past the Jet garage at Indian Queens about an hour ago and the queue massive backing out to the A30.

Was a bit of an extended queue getting into Morrisons today which was caused by people waiting to get to the petrol station. Not too bad but worse than I've ever seen it.

I went to Tescos off the M27, queue of 2 or 3 in 8 lines Busier than I've ever seen it, Mllk was running low as wel l :P

Ok, so many people are filling up and I guess a lot of this behaviour is because we were told not to.

So, how many days before we are all topped up and the demand spike drops?

I thought HMG had plans to let companies share deliveries and therefore negate the Shell drivers' action?

I only ask as I plan on a 300 mile trip which I may get out of a Corsa petrol but would prefer a refill half way to ensure I'm not calling the RAC out.

Bottom line is to consider whether this is a real situation or another false alarm like the last one.

TFH

Hoarding-whores hoarding away

Squirreling nuts for a rainy day

Hoarding-whores fill tanks to the brim

Panic sets in, their grabbing whim

Hoarding-whores, shoves and grunts

Some say they're wise, I say they're ***ts.

You keep posting this exact same rhyne on EVERY fuel strike thread.

Play a different record you Gov't troll.

In a national paper today (sorry I forget which) it was suggested that our great and glorious prime minister asked us not to panic on purpose. By getting everyone topped early, it allowed garages to have time to restock before the strike starts.

If I find the link I will post is here.

Edit: Linky

Second edit: Financial Times linky

Edited by Driver

What to do in a fuel shortage

1. Panic

2. Panic some more

3. Get down to you local Petrol station ASAP and fill up

4. Panic again

5. Text and call all your friends and family to fill up ASAP, ONLY after you have filled up yourself

6. Go to the supermarket and stock up on food, toiletries, beverages, medication.

7. Text and call all your friends and family to fill up ASAP, ONLY after you have bought everything you need for the next 6 months.

8. Panic, thinking you have left something.

9. Fill up some more petrol after using up the petrol to go to the supermarket.

10. Keep panicing and listen for more news about the fuel shortage.

Just working out on the back of a fag packet and google

400,000 liters per month per site according to forecourt monthly June 2007

14,000 liters per day normally and was 60% higher in last fuel blockades.

100,000 liters of wet stock capacity per forecourt, enough for 4 days of panic buying assuming they top up 6am Friday, have been topping up every day. About 20,000 liters per tanker

So nothing should happen overall, some sites might run out early or have a bit left over. But if everyone fills up it should balance out even better by panicing early.

The thing is the problem of capacity is compounded, inner cities have closed a lot of petrol stations and made way for flats or a tesco express. The capacity for a city to cope with a sudden increase in demand is greatly reduced. Previously, say you would have a choice of 2 stations nearby, but if that is now 1, people all have to queue up at one station. This does not help as car ownership increases.