House Price Crash Forum

Fuel Strikes This Weekend, Drivers Advised To Fill Up

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree as long as the BoE put up rates and act on inflation; however all the time the Govt fudge the figures with CPI bulls**t etc what option have people got when household bills are going through the roof. What do expect everyone to do when Gordon Brown bleats on about low inflation and economic strength etc with a dumbf**k grin on his face, bend over and take it?

iTotally agree, but as well as individuals you also have business trying to ensure they survive for the good of themselves, the economy and their employees (shell a greedy exception to the rule I agree).

It is a quandary but if wage inflation starts then inflation becomes endemic, fuel, food etc does not represent all disposable income and people can switch to less luxury brands etc.

Once wage settlements feed inflation those on fixed incomes are crucified and savings start to get eroded, a nightmare but resisting wage demands in the private and public sector an absolute must as far as I am concerned.

iTotally agree, but as well as individuals you also have business trying to ensure they survive for the good of themselves, the economy and their employees (shell a greedy exception to the rule I agree).

It is a quandary but if wage inflation starts then inflation becomes endemic, fuel, food etc does not represent all disposable income and people can switch to less luxury brands etc.

Once wage settlements feed inflation those on fixed incomes are crucified and savings start to get eroded, a nightmare but resisting wage demands in the private and public sector an absolute must as far as I am concerned.

Don't you think that this is already happening? Lets suppose you do 4 - 5 tanks of fuel a months, what cheaper brands can you switch to? Let's suppose a family spends £600 a month on food, and they already shop at Aldi's and Lydls etc what are the alternatives? Until Govt stop lying about this situation people will continue to protest. £40K per a year already seems like £25K a year 3 years ago. There is no room for manoeuvre!

Don't you think that this is already happening? Lets suppose you do 4 - 5 tanks of fuel a months, what cheaper brands can you switch to? Let's suppose a family spends £600 a month on food, and they already shop at Aldi's and Lydls etc what are the alternatives? Until Govt stop lying about this situation people will continue to protest. £40K per a year already seems like £25K a year 3 years ago. There is no room for manoeuvre!

but there is a difference here, this is government made inflation(fuel duty/council tax, public sector pensions) , it is tax pure and simple just by stealth. they need to tax us less !

there are plenty of articles on the huge problems wage inflation causes and it is unfortunatley down to the idiots in charge to realise this and do something about it. But of course thay cannot borrow anymore money to do so . The economy then i think is doomed.

wage inflation will erode any BTL savings and pensioners and the state supported population will also be up in arms. This will end in a spiral of misery !

but there is a difference here, this is government made inflation(fuel duty/council tax, public sector pensions) , it is tax pure and simple just by stealth. they need to tax us less !

there are plenty of articles on the huge problems wage inflation causes and it is unfortunatley down to the idiots in charge to realise this and do something about it. But of course thay cannot borrow anymore money to do so . The economy then i think is doomed.

wage inflation will erode any BTL savings and pensioners and the state supported population will also be up in arms. This will end in a spiral of misery !

Yep, Gordon Browns dependants (pensioners, benefits, public sector etc) will probably be his biggest complainers. What a mess!

IMO, in most businesses there is no room for wage inflation. It would simply lead to further costs that can't be passed on to the final consumer, you and I.

Belts are being tightened, and with 'energy' and 'food' costs ever increasing, these are the only industries that will manage to increase wages.

Haulliers I believe will be joining in with the tanker protests this weekend..... the start of thing to come :ph34r:

Guest X-QUORK
Fair play to the Shell drivers, they have not had a decent payrise since 1992.

Got a source to back that statement up?

I would argue that £39k for driving a lorry is damned good money, prbably about £15k more than I'd pay.

The price of oil is high for exactly the same reason that the price of houses is high. And it will end in the same way.

Here's what Michael O' Leary, Ryanair boss and a very good businessman to learn from has to say...

It's another bubble alright - fuc*ing ti*s trying to make back THE LOSSES.

Penson funds will reap the whirlwind, just like the rest. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wait & See
If you know a shell tanker driver go and kick his head in and trash his car tonight if possible to show this filth they will not be tolerated. :ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah, lets turn a shot term problem into a major one with all the shell drivers unable to work due to broken legs...

That will be good for everyone...

I was talking to a trucker about this and he made some interesting points.

Yes they earn about 35k just now but they also tend to work 60 hour weeks. National average is 20k for 40 hours.... see where this is going?

They also have quite a bit of training ( a lot of it reoccurring) to do the job so its not something you can get squaddies or people off the dole to suddenly start doing.

Its also dangerous and is mainly night work.

So lets recap. Shitty hours, slightly above average pay and dangerous work. Sounds like a dream job.

Given how poor their PR has been I can't see the public getting beyond the "greedy union" reporting.

Guest X-QUORK
They also have quite a bit of training ( a lot of it reoccurring) to do the job so its not something you can get squaddies or people off the dole to suddenly start doing.

You're very wrong there actually, the Army has loads of Hazmat qualified drivers who regularly drive tankers of fuel around...how do you think military vehicles and aircraft are powered, solar?

The Hazmat course was about three days long, so not exactly Ph.D level stuff.

Even at 60 hours a week, £39k is extremely good money for hauliers...especially compared to agency drivers who consider £12 an hour a good rate.

What exactly is rational about queueing up to fill your

car with the most expensive petrol ever?

ABB

(unless you happen to run Shell).

Errrr.... I would buy myself a big tank to put in my big yard. Get a tanker in and fill it up. What a bargain :lol::lol:

Cheap fuel is a thing of the past. Get used to it

Edited by roman holiday

"Inflation" is being imported today in the form of re-priced commodities in a global marketplace. Domestic wage inflation is not required this time round. :P

But we will all sure as hell be wishing for it when things get tight.

Edited by roman holiday
Cheap fuel is a thing of the past. Get used to it

No I wont get used to it all the while the guv takes it 60%

Even if they cut the taxes in half, increasing prices will eat that up on the way up. The high price of oil reflects both the scarcity of it and the weakness of Western currencies. Oh, nearly forgot... and of course some speculation. :P

Edited by roman holiday
Although I dont want to put anyone down, I do find it more than slightly amusing to suggest the position of lorry driver needs a lot of training.

The training for moving hazardous material around the country is more rigorous than shifting cans to tesco.

Crashing a truck is bad, crashing a tanker is much much worse...

You're very wrong there actually, the Army has loads of Hazmat qualified drivers who regularly drive tankers of fuel around...how do you think military vehicles and aircraft are powered, solar?

The Hazmat course was about three days long, so not exactly Ph.D level stuff.

Even at 60 hours a week, £39k is extremely good money for hauliers...especially compared to agency drivers who consider £12 an hour a good rate.

I was meaning the average squaddie, the army logistics are a seperate lot. But I'd guess most of them are invovled with supplying the armed forces. Given they are active in two warzones just now how many of them can be pulled from what they are doing?

Sure they might be able to cover it but its not as simple as it might sound.

The Hazmat course wasn't the only one from what I was told but even then if its three days then you would need to get people training before the strike happened ( unless the army could fill the gap)

I'm not saying I support them btw, just that the greedy sods accusation has a bit more to it than it would seem.

You do wonder why more people don't try to get into this line of work if it pays so much better than regular truck driving...

What exactly is rational about queueing up to fill your

See description of "ration" :lol:

Also, Merv said post-factum that people panicking and lining up to withdraw Northern Rock deposits were acting rationally.

Edited by refusnik
Just filled up at local Tesco (North Cornwall) and queues were no longer than usual.

Either the Cornish are too sanguine or too skint to panic. Not sure which!

It doesn't affect us down here, we are cut off from the rest of the uk, dontchaknow? :D

....................NOT!

Edited by NeilP
It doesn't affect us down here, we are cut off from the rest of the uk, dontchaknow? :D

....................NOT!

Better response than I was expecting. I thought someone would return with the usual "limited gene pool" accusation!

Seriously, though, have you noticed any longer than normal queues? During the last petrol strike it got pretty grim, but there were no signs of panic buying today.