House Price Crash Forum

Fuel Strikes This Weekend, Drivers Advised To Fill Up

Fuel strikes: Gordon Brown urges motorists not to panic buy

They were joined by Gordon Brown as the Prime Minister sought to head off a repetition of the stampede to the pumps which accompanied the strike at the Grangemouth refinery in April.

The plea for motorists to keep calm came ahead of this weekend's four day walkout by 641 drivers who work for Shell's suppliers, Hoyer UK and Suckling Transport.

"The most responsible thing the public can do is to continue to buy as normal," Mr Brown's spokesman said.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest X-QUORK

Hoarding-whores hoarding away

Squirreling nuts for a rainy day

Hoarding-whores fill tanks to the brim

Panic sets in, their grabbing whim

Hoarding-whores, shoves and grunts

Some say they're wise, I say they're ***ts.

Responsible for what exactly?

Did you not listen to PM. The guy who was something to do with the Government side when the fuel blockade was on and said:-

"the one thing you can't do is to ask people to be rational. Rational people who need a car will fill up as soon as there is any likelihood of fuel not being available."

So if you are rational fill up, if you are "responsible" don't fill up and prey you have a decent excuse when you can't get to work on Tuesday.

no sympathy for these drivers at all , they have been offered over 6% already.

This is greed causing us all inconvenience !

Not greed just survival, we all know real inflation is running way above this, why should anyone take a pay cut in real terms?

Haven't you checked your petrol, gas, electric, food bills lately?

Expect more strikes as people start to wake up from the nu labour sleep walk!

expect many businesses going bust as well then, you cannot afford to increase wages by the amount of runaway inflation that may also prove to be a temporary blip

What makes you think it's a temporary blip?

The current price rises seem pretty major if you ask me.

Have you not noticed the increases in the price of bread, eggs, milk, petrol etc lately? Some things have doubled in just a few months!!

What makes you think it's a temporary blip?

The current price rises seem pretty major if you ask me.

Have you not noticed the increases in the price of bread, eggs, milk, petrol etc lately? Some things have doubled in just a few months!!

i dont believe in the commodity boom, i think its a trader made problem especially fuel, another con.

i dont believe in the commodity boom, i think its a trader made problem especially fuel, another con.

Maybe! But if an attempt to reign in inflation isn't pursued it could be disastrous for every low paid worker up and down the country as they struggle to put food on the table!

Fair play to the Shell drivers, they have not had a decent payrise since 1992.

I hope they stay out long enough that the country runs dry and all the fat people have to walk and the obesity problem is solved.

The price of oil is high for exactly the same reason that the price of houses is high. And it will end in the same way.

Here's what Michael O' Leary, Ryanair boss and a very good businessman to learn from has to say...

“There is no rational supply/demand issue that has caused demand for oil to double in the last 12 months. There’s no shortage of oil,” he said.

“It’s driven by an enormous speculative bubble. Pension funds are now speculating on oil futures. Generally when pension funds get in you are not far away from a crash.”

exactly so wage inflation has to be held down no matter what !

I agree as long as the BoE put up rates and act on inflation; however all the time the Govt fudge the figures with CPI bulls**t etc what option have people got when household bills are going through the roof. What do expect everyone to do when Gordon Brown bleats on about low inflation and economic strength etc with a dumbf**k grin on his face, bend over and take it?