House Price Crash Forum

Property-bee Sharing Data

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to move property-bee files around so that the history is maintained between my different PCs/laprops.

Has anyone considered sharing their property-bee files around so that histories can be maintained centrally somewhere? Are there legal issues with this?

Check out their website, they are working on a new version that shares all the data that property bee users collect

Brief summary of how it'll work (from the link)

Firstly when you upgrade to the next version, you will need to register to use the new bee features

Once registered your username/password can also be used to log in and post on the property-bee forum.

The all to familiar history table still exists, but with a twist

its_a_bee.png

This is a screen shot of a user who installed property-bee on the 22nd March.

The top property is newly listed, and since no one else has viewed the property before, it appears as it would in the current version of property-bee.

The second property has been viewed by someone else before (indicated by the icon next to the changes) and the new user can see the full history even tho they have never viewed the property before. By hovering the mouse over the icon, the can see that it was beerhunter who registered the change.

In addition there is a new sidebar which lists all the properties you have viewed (slightly old image at the moment whilst I do a more recent capture).

Property snake ran into problems because it was a centrally located service that could be blocked on the server ip address and also "got at", I think.

property bee is a bit more interesting since the queries come from anyone running the plugin, so difficult to block it and difficult to identify and bring pressure to bear on those using it.

If the "sharing" is or could be peer to peer then it would put the programmers in a similar position to bittorrent trackers I guess, in that they themselves are not distributing the data, only providing the means to do so.

I'd thought about doing the same thing as a program rather than a browser plugin, but never got beyond thinking about it I'm afraid. Software is quite hard and time consuming to write (for me, at least, and I earn a living doing it!). I think it would be feasible though.

Property snake ran into problems because it was a centrally located service that could be blocked on the server ip address and also "got at", I think.

property bee is a bit more interesting since the queries come from anyone running the plugin, so difficult to block it and difficult to identify and bring pressure to bear on those using it.

If the "sharing" is or could be peer to peer then it would put the programmers in a similar position to bittorrent trackers I guess, in that they themselves are not distributing the data, only providing the means to do so.

I'd thought about doing the same thing as a program rather than a browser plugin, but never got beyond thinking about it I'm afraid. Software is quite hard and time consuming to write (for me, at least, and I earn a living doing it!). I think it would be feasible though.

I've got a working program that will merge property bee data from multiple PCs into a centralised database, and then update the property bee internal database.

It's only been for my personal use, so it simply syncs the property data from my PCs onto my SQL server. I suppose I could put a web service front end on the database - shouldn't be that hard.

I really only wrote it to run basic property analysis, the data merging was a bit of a bonus. Still, it finds something new every day.

propertyhive_test1.png

post-7874-1212615207_thumb.png

Edited by ChumpusRex

Where is the property bee data held on your HDD? I need to move my data to my wifes laptop.

M

If you've got the Bee toolbar up there is an option for moving the data onto, say, a memory stick under "Data Wizards" --> Move data folder.

I really only wrote it to run basic property analysis, the data merging was a bit of a bonus. Still, it finds something new every day.

Looking at the screenie, you chose a really great name for your program, to go with Property Bee plug-in.

Property Hive.

I've just installed it - but I can't 'register' to share info.

I think there is a serious bug/problem with the input fields where you type in a username/password/email address.

I am using Firefox on a Mac Book Pro. (Max OSX)

EDIT: I have found a solution....

FOR MAC USERS...

Type your details into text edit, then cut n paste into the input fields - works a treat!!!

Edited by stew

Just got the latest version - absolutely awesome! Have been collecting propertybee data since about Jan, submitted all my csv's and then had a look at my saved properties on rightmove... lo and behold, a whole new depth of information and history on them ... fantastic!

http://www.property-bee.com/

In case anyone hasn't noticed. Should update automatically when you start Firefox. Mine did.

This is the version which compares your data with other people's data to create a more accurate history. Some of my less frequent searches have been completely refreshed - earlier dates, missing events, etc.

As an analogy it's a bit like talking to someone about a house you've seen and they told you when they first saw it and the price it was at originally.

I have to move property-bee files around so that the history is maintained between my different PCs/laprops.

Has anyone considered sharing their property-bee files around so that histories can be maintained centrally somewhere? Are there legal issues with this?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Your wish has come true... MAJOR new property bee update that now has sharing.. so the more who sign up.. the more data we will all get.

Go to Tools->Add-on and then click on check for updates and follow the instructions.

Superb!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Your wish has come true... MAJOR new property bee update that now has sharing.. so the more who sign up.. the more data we will all get.

Go to Tools->Add-on and then click on check for updates and follow the instructions.

Superb!

Plus, you can rank the files in the sidebar by when Last Viewed, Original Price, Title, Current Price and percentage price Change, and click through on any individual property thus found!

Basically, it's what I always hoped The Bee could evolve into. Just in time. Just incredible.

I love you clever guys.

i write sox-ware too.

Would be nice to screen scrape rightmove.co.uk using (Browser helper objects) BHO and keep an audit trail on each property and chuck the data in a database so we could group by area and calculate the average prices based on real data.

The data would need to be maualy checked as properties become relisted under new estate agents but with a few people doing the audit checks i bet it would work.

Could even try to merge with property bee and update price changes.

Computers talk much better to computers than humands ever can.

People may make contributions if they are interested in data on a particular property

new version of propertybee is awesome! i'm off to make a donation as this will save me 000s of pounds when i eventually buy.. has already been great at convincing the mrs not to buy yet!!

i also had problems registering initially. i was too trigger happy

the default is i am already registered and you have to put in your username and password for propertybee forum

but if instead you put i am a new user, you put in your username and password and email address. you then need to verify that email account etc

usual stuff. great product. not tested out the sort by discount etc yet. but i love the fact i can search any area from scratch and get historical price changes!

awesome!

By the look of it there will be 500 registered Version 2 users before noon!

For those of you interested, I have been working to create an Excel Spreadsheet that imports the CSV files exported by Property-Bee V2.

The spreadsheet imports all of your property bee information and presents it on a single worksheet with easy to use sort and filter options.

You can find the latest version here: www.propertyanalysis.plus.com

Property Analyser

Edited by PropertyAnalyser

Got the new Property Bee and I love it

I can see the data collected by other users, and presumably, other users can see the data I have collected.

But what happen when I log off? Will others still be able to see my data? Is it all stored centrally somewhere?

I have looked in my PB data folder. It only seems to contain the files I have collected. Does this mean when other users log off, I will loose the ability to see their data?