House Price Crash Forum

It's No Wonder Barratt Are In Trouble

lol.

What about the 'Gordon', nice 3 bedroom, not suitable for people, but t looks great.

Or the 'Alister', nice 2 bedroom, no public right of way access*

I once looked at a property in the North that had no electrics and no right of way access, it was in the middle of the moors and had been pillaged by sheep.

The words "Piggery right of way" still strike fear into one of my relatives. Apparently, part way through their purchase it was revealed that such a right applied to the house they were in the process of buying. It meant that a herd of pigs could be driven through the lounge (which had been build across said right of way!).

At that point they withdrew!

A few years ago (2004) I wandered onto a building site, don't know which mass builder it was, but I expect they are pretty much the same, and looked inside a 'starter home' they were building.

The plumbing was all push fit plastic stuff. No skill required to fit it. The materials throughout looked thin and shoddy. The room sizes were compact to say the least, but compared to a 2007 house I expect it was spacious.

Anyone buying one of these needs a head examination. There are plenty of older houses around.

Until buyers go on strike they will continue to shovel this slop at people.

In so many areas of consumer product, quality has consistently gone up year after year. This does not seem to apply to homes. The market has failed due to the management of land supply. Clearly, competition is not favoring the consumer or quality.

In so many areas of consumer product, quality has consistently gone up year after year. This does not seem to apply to homes. The market has failed due to the management of land supply. Clearly, competition is not favoring the consumer or quality.

The problem with market forces in housing quality is - how many new builds do you plan to buy this year? Even if every single Barrats customer vows never to buy another Baratts house again, it won't dent their sales much. And shoddy costs less..

Erm judging by a few housing estates I've lived on nobody uses the garage for cars anyway,

Cars have got much longer and wider over the past 20 years. Garages seem to be built in accordance that they can house a Morris Minor or Austin A30. I think developers need reminding of this fact and not to keep building garages to 1950s standards. <_<

I can never understand why they design luxury houses into ten tiny boxes plus about four bathrooms partitioned with something not much better than cardboard,when the average persons per household is around two.What's wrong with building something on the lines of a Barn conversation with the grand double height living area and first floor viewing gallery and say only two bedrooms.I suppose the building costs would be too prohibitive, so instead they continue to build claustrophobic s**t,in the belief that the five bedroom concept is a status symbol.