House Price Crash Forum

What Percentage Of The Population...

Why would you actively want to change peoples' opinion. No skin off my nose if foolish people fail to see what is happening under their noses. The emphasis on this site from a number of posters that we have to actively change peoples' opinions in my opinion is erroneous. A change in opinion will occur as events unfold, nothing active needs to be done.

Why would you actively want to change peoples' opinion. No skin off my nose if foolish people fail to see what is happening under their noses. The emphasis on this site from a number of posters that we have to actively change peoples' opinions in my opinion is erroneous. A change in opinion will occur as events unfold, nothing active needs to be done.

So, sentiment has no effect on the housing market?

So, sentiment has no effect on the housing market?

Yes I think it does for example look @ the headlines in the Express last week I am sure that would have an effect?

However I think that these kind of things take a considerable amount of time to change peoples attitudes/sentiment, don,t forget there are many people with VI in the property market and a considerable amount with extremly high mortgage/debt, a great many of these are going to go through a denial phase prior to the facts (if things pan out as we/I believe here) becoming a stark and unpleasant reality for most.

IR will be crucial another 0.5% could be the straw that breaks the camels back (IMO) which is quite pathetic at current levels when you think about it.

Is that the issue? The trend in house prices is already reversing. Sentiment will change as a result of this. We do not need to do anything, things will change in their own time.

I do think it is part of the issue, possibly quite a large part. Otherwise, what caused HPI in the first place? Houses didn't suddenly become easily affordable. Interest rates obviosly played a large part, but, as others have pointed out, mortgage repayments to buy the same house from scratch will have gone up hugely over the past 5 years.

Likewise, without sentiment, houses would now acheive a stable value without HPC.

That is not what he is saying. Of course sentiment will have an effect. The question is whether or not this website will have a material affect on sentiment. Given the rate of increase of popularity of the site, I think it is a matter of time before HPC.co.uk is given wide acclaim for being a unified voice of valid prediction on the state of the property market in the UK.

I think it's a tiny amount, most owners are full of joy thinking they are very rich (on paper) and don't want to be told otherwise, and the likes of first time buyers view the property prices and think, 'oh well, thats what it costs, i'll have to somehow find £15x,xxx for a 1 bed flat.'

Sentiment simply reflects reality.. I don't think opinions expressed here can influence a crash, the market is going to go tits up, whether there is a housepricecrash.co.uk or not.

No, my point is this: My view is precisely that, my personal opinion. I am secure in my view of the current situation. I do not feel any compunction to attempt to alter the opinions of others. I see no benefit in this. Therefore, I have no interest in converting bulls to a bearish outlook.

No, my point is this: My view is precisely that, my personal opinion. I am secure in my view of the current situation. I do not feel any compunction to attempt to alter the opinions of others. I see no benefit in this. Therefore, I have no interest in converting bulls to a bearish outlook.

Not sure I quite understand this; I'm not sure you read my original post accurately. I was talking in general terms, to try & gauge perceptions prevalent on this forum. Perhaps I should have said "how would one go" instead of "how would you go".

I was talking in general terms, to try & gauge perceptions prevalent on this forum. Perhaps I should have said "how would one go" instead of "how would you go".

I think the FTB leaflet is a good start, and our attempts to get the mass media to provide a more balanced account of the housing market (for example, ensuring that ridiculously irresponsible and one-sided programmes like last night's fiasco featuring Barbara Goldsmith are not allowed free rein in their property-ramping agendas). What we really need though, is a wider debate in the broadsheet print media about the negative impacts of the property bubble and the largely illusory nature of supposed "wealth" created by the rise in property prices. Also, attracting more people to the site by increasing its Google ranking is another way to increase exposure.

Not sure I quite understand this; I'm not sure you read my original post accurately. I was talking in general terms, to try & gauge perceptions prevalent on this forum. Perhaps I should have said "how would one go" instead of "how would you go".

Perhaps I have misread it. I got the impression you were asking for opinions on how to change the prevailing opinion.

Guest negativeequity
i.e a HPC (actually, this desperately needs some sort of agreed definition) & think it would be desirable.

How would you go about increasing this percentage?

Good point.

I agree if there was a united definition of what consitutes a HPC that would help. Maybe the management / members could suggest a number of different definitions and the members can vote on the prefered definition.

Without an accepted defintion of a HPC it is not possible to prove one is happening or has happened or has not happened.

Perhaps I have misread it. I got the impression you were asking for opinions on how to change the prevailing opinion.

Yes , I'm probably being over-subtle. What I 'm attempting to do is to get people to think about how people who are unsympathetic think & why they think the way they do (HELP! I'm turning into Donald Rumsfeld!).

Still, thinking's good for you.. I think

I'd say 5% max.

I've got a few mates who don't visit this site but base their opinions (house prices, debt levels, IRs, inflation etc) on what they see in the wider economic (UK and Global) environment, hence the 5%.

I pretty much agree with that, the doom mongers I know see at worst a "stagnation" and at best boom, boom, boom. Most of course are home owners, friends, people I work with etc etc.

Some people still saying you can do no wrong buying property at all.

I am very much in the minority in hoping for a hpc or at least more decently priced bricks and mortar