House Price Crash Forum

Hi I am moving to newcastle from birmingham for work reasons. I have fallen in love with jesmond vale. I simply cannot believe the glut of properties for sale in jesmond itself.

A tyneside flat in jesmond vale is £140,000 on the market. It seems ridiculously overpriced. Why are so many houses being sold in the area - do they know something I dont?

Why arent they shifting - surely if prices are relative to what people are going on to buy in the chain.

I am a first time buyer and find the rent ridiculous in newcastle - having lived in sheffield also.

Also all the properties I have seen have been on the market for 6/7months -

Any advice.....

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy_Montag
The strangest thing of all, is that there is plenty of cheap property available around Durham- Gilesgate etc, but that this does not seem to attract students. Most students consider the Viaduct, Church Street and  Crossgate to be the best places to live, hence the artificially high prices in these areas relative to others.

Durham Uni is building a new college, but I don't think it will make much difference.

Students are starting to move up to Gilesgate, in fact ine of my colleagues moved out of there because it was too noisy, and of course the prices have rocketed. I can't afford to buy even out as far as Carrville - where one of my colleagues spent £40K on a house 5 years ago with houses going for 100K now.

Guest Guy_Montag
UPDATE for Knightsbridge Court.

Rightmove are now listing 11 apartments For Sale.

Pattinson Estate Agents are now listing 12 apartments For Sale at Knightsbridge Court, the NEW one is listed at £210k! The first one to go to auction has appeared on the auction list for the 26 July 2005.  This is going to become very interesting!

One left on rightmove £169K

One left on rightmove £169K

Interesting, according to nethouseprices.com nothing has sold at Knightsbridge Court during 2005, at least one is appearing in the Pattinson auction next week, the one in last month's auction did not sell. I've noticed scafolding appearing on the roof of Knightsbridge Court this last week, possibly an issue with the flat roof?

No escaping the fact that some properties within the development remain vacant!

Edited by neilrich

Whilst at work this morning a colleague of mine (single FTB) who is purchasing a property in West Allotments, mentions that she expects to make a £50k profit over the next 3 years! I had to just bite my tongue could not bring myself to ask how exactly she hoped to achieve that, I bet this idea came from her estate agent and if so this is criminal. :( When shall the penny drop with these people?

This has gone up on Rightmove in the last week.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-905...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Due to other commitments Bairstow Eves are currently offering for sale several apartments owned by investors who wish to sell below the marketing prices

Anyone know what the "marketing prices" are?

This has gone up on Rightmove in the last week.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-905...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

Anyone know what the "marketing prices" are?

http://www.limesq.info is the site

This is the one where the May release included a Mini cooper with every sale. It would be a very dull car park if it wasn't for the fact that the car would be very unlikely to ever be near the flats.

Found prices on the sanderson young site. It claims from £164,950 so I'd expect that price to be the price they paid (with a 10% offplan discount).

Edited by eek
Found prices on the sanderson young site. It claims from £164,950 so I'd expect that price to be the price they paid (with a 10% offplan discount).

Cheers eek,

Correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean they would get another 10% off the 164,950?

Anyway, on another subject.

This is on at 187k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-841...pa_n=9&tr_t=buy

But was bought last summer for 185k

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=+6+ED...+allotment&n=10

I wonder if they will break even?

Cheers eek,

Correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean they would get another 10% off the 164,950?

Anyway, on another subject.

Sorry I should have been clearer. The price they paid is roughly what its for sale at (i.e. they purchased it for £148,000 with a 10% offplan discount and are trying to sell it for £148,000 or so).

The latest Pattinson results are out.  So far less than 30% of stock has sold, but this changes over the next few days as legal stuff goes through so could go up/down.  Here's the link: -

Pattinson Auction Results - 30 August 2005

Any thoughts?  :blink:

Looks like all the "sold" ones are in their guide price range, suggesting a high reserve price.

I think you can read more into the number sold - not many!

Also use of guide price is a way of agents taking lower offers.

Seems to be a recent initiative in UK.

Has been used in Australia for years.

Agent uses the top price to attract the seller, bottom price to attract the buyer.

Hi

I've just moved up from Lancashire to North Tyneside and cannot believe how expensive it is.

The quality of properties for the prices are absolutely shocking :o

I sold a 3 bed semi in a country village hi-des location in lancashire and now can't afford a shoe box up here. My partner luckily sold his flat within 6 days so we're renting for a while until the market drops back down. (ps - quality of rental properties is not brilliant either :( )

Also....anybody else find that alot of the rental properties are up for sale too?? Maybe a sign that sellers aren't that confident of selling. We found this out when Pattinsons sold a rental property which they had agreed we could rent ... leaving us high and dry ....don't ya just love estate agents..

Sorry I should have been clearer. The price they paid is roughly what its for sale at (i.e. they purchased it for £148,000 with a 10% offplan discount and are trying to sell it for £148,000 or so).

2 for sale here

http://www.daft.ie/united_kingdom/property_for_sale/

The 2 bedroom one is quite good value at 250 per sq foot compared to Sanderson Youngs prices.

An irish speculator unable to get a mortgage maybe?

These will complete in october

25% are still unsold according to an article in the journal.

2 for sale here

The 2 bedroom one is quite good value at 250 per sq foot compared to Sanderson Youngs prices.

The website is really called "Daft" :D:D

You'd have to be to buy a 2 bed flat for 190 grand.

2 for sale here

Have you actually been and had a look at Lime Square? I've had a look at the development from a number of different angles including the air (from above), it actually blends in quite nicely with all the council flats that surround it and you get a great view of the Byker Wall! :lol:

Edited by neilrich

Is that a prediction? I would not put money on it! Are they still offering the FREE Mini Cooper S with the purchase of a property at Lime Square?

I would not believe anything you read in 'The Journal', it's just SPIN fed to them by the likes of Sanderson Young and the Developers, I'd imagine that Sanderson Young is a very good customer of The Journal!!! Even if it were True, 25% still unsold, how many of the 75% that have been purchased off plan are now For Sale and on the market? :lol:

Is that a prediction? I would not put money on it! Are they still offering the FREE Mini Cooper S with the purchase of a property at Lime Square?

I would not believe anything you read in 'The Journal', it's just SPIN fed to them by the likes of Sanderson Young and the Developers, I'd imagine that Sanderson Young is a very good customer of The Journal!!!  Even if it were True, 25% still unsold, how many of the 75% that have been purchased off plan are now For Sale and on the market?  :lol:

The first phase block d looking on the council flats will complete in october.

Here is the article from the journal just 4 u neilrich, the eye in the sky B).

I havent been up in my helicopter to look at them yet, waiting 4 the fuel price crash :rolleyes:

Cool plans for an ice factory Sep 7 2005

By Nigel Stirling, The Journal

Trendy Ouseburn Valley's development is poised to receive a major kick-start with two multi-million pound mixed-use developments.

Developer Metier, which is shortly due to complete a £20m mixed residential and office development with Irish property company Howard Holdings at nearby Lime Square, has received planning permission to develop 112 apartments as well as 6,000sq ft of leisure and 2,500sq ft of retail on the site of a former ice factory bound by Hume and Maling Streets.

Building work on the £22m development, close to the Ouseburn's outlet on to the River Tyne currently occupied by a number of vacant 1970s industrial units, will start in the second half of next year.

In the meantime, Metier will submit plans for a second multi-million pound development next to the ice factory site for 35 flats and a five-storey office block which will provide 35,000sq ft of office space.

Metier's schemes are just a selection of 80 development schemes which Newcastle City Council sources say are either at pre-planning stages or nearing practical completion along the banks of the Ouseburn.

The former industrial area in recent years has become a focal point for creative industry in Newcastle, with up to 90 businesses, including media, information technology and other creative business at the head of the queue, according to council sources.

The area will also get a boost with the construction of a £1.5m tidal barrier - a lock at the southern end of the Ouseburn - which will regulate the tributary's water flows and mitigate odour from exposed mud at low tide.

The Department for Transport is currently considering submissions on the European and Government-funded scheme and is due to decide next month if it will be allowed to proceed or go to public inquiry.

Metier director Aidan Murphy said: "We feel that we are at a point where we hope the Ouseburn Valley will continue to evolve and we are able to offer a development which will not be matched by anything else in Newcastle in terms of cultural activities and high quality buildings."

Mr Murphy said the new developments followed on from the successful completion of Lime Square where 75% of the development's 110 residential units, which range in price from £99,000 to £450,000 each, have been fully let.

Around 5,500sq ft of offices at the development adjacent to City Road are still to be sold, which is being marketed at £185 to £200 per sq ft.

Mr Murphy said: "We have decided to push on with the third phase of our development of sites in the area."

The first phase block d looking on the council flats will complete in october.

Here is the article from the journal just 4 u neilrich, the eye in the sky B).

I havent been up in my helicopter to look at them yet, waiting 4 the fuel price crash :rolleyes:

Cool plans for an ice factory Sep 7 2005

By Nigel Stirling, The Journal

Trendy Ouseburn Valley's development is poised to receive a major kick-start with two multi-million pound mixed-use developments.

Developer Metier, which is shortly due to complete a £20m mixed residential and office development with Irish property company Howard Holdings at nearby Lime Square, has received planning permission to develop 112 apartments as well as 6,000sq ft of leisure and 2,500sq ft of retail on the site of a former ice factory bound by Hume and Maling Streets.

Building work on the £22m development, close to the Ouseburn's outlet on to the River Tyne currently occupied by a number of vacant 1970s industrial units, will start in the second half of next year.

In the meantime, Metier will submit plans for a second multi-million pound development next to the ice factory site for 35 flats and a five-storey office block which will provide 35,000sq ft of office space.

Metier's schemes are just a selection of 80 development schemes which Newcastle City Council sources say are either at pre-planning stages or nearing practical completion along the banks of the Ouseburn.

The former industrial area in recent years has become a focal point for creative industry in Newcastle, with up to 90 businesses, including media, information technology and other creative business at the head of the queue, according to council sources.

The area will also get a boost with the construction of a £1.5m tidal barrier - a lock at the southern end of the Ouseburn - which will regulate the tributary's water flows and mitigate odour from exposed mud at low tide.

The Department for Transport is currently considering submissions on the European and Government-funded scheme and is due to decide next month if it will be allowed to proceed or go to public inquiry.

Metier director Aidan Murphy said: "We feel that we are at a point where we hope the Ouseburn Valley will continue to evolve and we are able to offer a development which will not be matched by anything else in Newcastle in terms of cultural activities and high quality buildings."

Mr Murphy said the new developments followed on from the successful completion of Lime Square where 75% of the development's 110 residential units, which range in price from £99,000 to £450,000 each, have been fully let.

Around 5,500sq ft of offices at the development adjacent to City Road are still to be sold, which is being marketed at £185 to £200 per sq ft.

Mr Murphy said: "We have decided to push on with the third phase of our development of sites in the area."

Like I said basically all spin, only the sources appear to be Newcastle City Council who are going to do nothing other than talk the area up! Very glad I'm not a shareholder in either Metier or Howard Holdings, never heard of either of them, just what City needs right now additional retail space, and more EMPTY office complexs! Pie in the Sky, why don't the City Council come and finish The Great North Park off first, 80% of which is now wasteland, the one and only development being the Sage HQ.

:lol:

My favourite bit is simply 'we hope', interesting how the companies involved are both Irish!

I was there last week and it certainly was NOT complete! Shame he fails to mention the percentage who have worked out that the development is Total BOL**CKS! Those same people who are now desperately trying to sell!

Perhaps his company should have done a bit of research and not fallen for the SPIN fed to them by Newcastle City Council, they would have then realised that most of Newcastle is nothing more than EMPTY office complexs! Unfortunately I can't see the situation improving as I only ever seem to be reading of job losses and companies out-sourcing abroad.

I'm not inspired by that sentence, I read it as not very confident, we started something and we are going to push on with the development and hope for the best. Still if it keeps them in a job for another couple of years before retirement, then who can blame them!

Sorry UNDERSUPPLY I just could not resist having a dig.

Edited by neilrich

Yes people, never trust the Journal when it comes to property. They are the publishers of the "Househunter". A Estate Agent/VI sponsored rag if there ever was one. It is propaganda Hitler and Stalin would be proud of!!!! My wife and I read it just to laugh at the ridiculous asking prices and B******* the EA's come out with!!!

450,000 for something in Lime Square?? To look at Shepherd's scrap yard and the Byker wall?? These people are bloody crazy!!!!!

My favourite bit is simply 'we hope', interesting how the companies involved are both Irish!

Sorry UNDERSUPPLY I just could not resist having a dig.

Metier are Manchester based, and its director Aidan Murphy is a geordie, although with a name like his, he would certainly get plastic paddy status. :D

Dig away NR :P,

BTW, I was walking down along the Quayside on tuesday and saw a huge development, around the Tyne Tees TV area which I hadn't noticed before, overlooking the river.

It was one of the biggest apartment complexes I have ever seen and I hadn't noticed it before.

Was I hallucinating in the september sun? or did you spot it in the helicopter?A redbrick job.

Metier are Manchester based, and its director Aidan Murphy is a geordie, although with a name like his, he would certainly get plastic paddy status. :D

Dig away NR :P,

BTW, I was walking down along the Quayside on tuesday and saw a huge development, around the Tyne Tees TV area which I hadn't noticed before, overlooking the river.

It was one of the biggest apartment complexes I have ever seen and I hadn't noticed it before.

Was I hallucinating in the september sun? or did you spot it in the helicopter?A redbrick job.

I think you might be refering to Quaypoint, key worker and student accomodation, a development which shall have over 700 dwellings!

How come you know so much about Metier? Is there something that you would like to declare? Such as a vested interest in either the company or the Lime Square development.

I think you might be refering to Quaypoint, key worker and student accomodation, a development which shall have over 700 dwellings!

How come you know so much about Metier?  Is there something that you would like to declare? Such as a vested interest in either the company or the Lime Square development.

Just through property news on the ic chronicle website, they have a search function, put in lime square & all is revealed. No conspiracy.

What the sales consultants will fail to advertise is that 'close to town' actually means a 15 minute walk from Lime square past the salvation armies hostel which houses down on there luck types (homeless, alcholics, drug addicts) a drug rehab centre, and some very dodgy looking subways. This is not the sort of place you'll want to walk home to on a dark night.

Just through property news on the ic chronicle website, they have a search function, put in lime square & all is revealed. No conspiracy.

Thanks for the link, great examples of the spin that is being produced by those with a vested interest, can't decide which article I liked best! Please note that each of the following articles plug the FREE Mini Cooper S when you've exchanged contracts, DESPERATION or WHAT!!

Sonia's new home is a beauty, this is a story about a 21 year old Beauty Queen 'who has been searching for the perfect apartment in the city for two years.'

Penthouse flat is a true 21st Century home ,'The Italian lacquered kitchen, with granite worktops and spray mixer taps by Franke, comes with coffee machine, wine cooler and integrated appliances. Double doors lead from the living area to a south-facing balcony'.

Design is blooming , 'The latest in contemporary design is blooming in the Lime Square show suite, to complement the cool modern finishes of the residential scheme at East Quayside in the Ouseburn Valley. Floral designer Nicola Allinson, of Secret Garden, used contemporary arrangements to team with the stylish interiors at Lime Square. She said: "The rooms have a very contemporary and architectural feel, and the flowers reflect the elegance and simplicity of that look."

Think my favourite artice was the first one, I mean a 21 year old who has been searching since the age of 19 for that perfect apartment!! Get real!! Do people actually get taken in by this Bol**cks? Or have I just lost the plot?

Edited by neilrich