House Price Crash Forum

Unfortunately, this doesn't come as a surprise.

Been that way since the decline in heavy engineering.

Not that heavy engineering has declined, it was just given up on in the UK.

Reading, at the top of the list is a hub for some of the largest engineering contractors.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationwide Q1 2007 £177,849 for Newcastle u Tyne

Nationwide Q2 2007 £181,104

Annualised thats a 7.3% increase.

However YOY Newcastle moves from 1% (Q1 06-07) to 3%(Q2 06-07), & is only behind Liverpool in cities with the lowest HPI.

Edited by undersupply

Some points to throw into the pot, take from them what you will...

Since it seems to be par for the course to hate knightsbridge court, did anyone notice this...

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/detail/947219

Another reduction.

Also, doing a general search on tyne and wear...

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/location/1175/

is becoming very eye opening!!! Granted most properties are either small or undesirable flats/houses, or bad areas, or both, but when the bottom echelons falls out of the market, what happens to the above?... (I pose that rhetorically before STTAB replies) I think more what I'm trying to say is it genuinely looks like were in a donward moving market unless your property is desirable, but how long before even those stutter?

And... EA's are now claiming 10.6% are seeing prices rises...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6293442.stm

So let's look at that another way 89.4% of EA's are seeing price stagnation or reduction.

Edited by meow
is becoming very eye opening!!!

Not really.

Granted most properties are either small or undesirable flats/houses, or bad areas, or both...

Indeed.

...but when the bottom echelons falls out of the market, what happens to the above?... (I pose that rhetorically before STTAB replies) I think more what I'm trying to say is it genuinely looks like were in a donward moving market unless your property is desirable, but how long before even those stutter?

THE SMARTER BEAR'S FIRST RULE applies, as always.

Hey, it looks like my job is relocating to newcastle so im trying to do some research on the place beofre i look around. where would you guys say are the 'no go' areas that i should really try to avoid renting a place in?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, it looks like my job is relocating to newcastle so im trying to do some research on the place beofre i look around. where would you guys say are the 'no go' areas that i should really try to avoid renting a place in?

The main ones that spring to mind for me would be...

Scotswood, Elswick, Byker and Kenton always looks a bit dodgy for my liking.

The main good areas that most people go for are...

Gosforth, Jesmond, High Heaton (Staying close to the centre)

This makes them erm... "not cheap" though.

Edited by meow

Given the massive oversupply of 1 and 2 bed new build apartments around, there must be some rental bargains in the city centre.

I enjoyed life in Jesmond, but the convenience of being able to walk everywhere (to say nothing of my resultingly tiny carbon footprint, HA HA) makes being right in the middle of it all hard to beat — if you're still the right age to appreciate it.

Remember Neil getting his knickers in a twist about city centre apartments being used as hotel rooms?

Well, someone get him a glass of water, because he SHALL read this sooner or later. :blink:

Those poor old Baltic flats. First so-called "travellers" camped outside the back door, now the place is full of, ahem, "working girls" — all they need is a spate of burglaries in that grim multi-storey rabbit hutch and we can refer to it as Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves Towers. :lol:

Remember Neil getting his knickers in a twist about city centre apartments being used as hotel rooms?

Well, someone get him a glass of water, because he SHALL read this sooner or later. :blink:

Those poor old Baltic flats. First so-called "travellers" camped outside the back door, now the place is full of, ahem, "working girls" — all they need is a spate of burglaries in that grim multi-storey rabbit hutch and we can refer to it as Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves Towers. :lol:

Now I am confused. STTAB is starting to sound more and more like a bear these days ! Maybe something to do with changing his logo - I thought Yogi bear was much better !

Seriously though this is quite disastrous for Baltic Towers - call me a NIMBY (but she's really not very good looking at all), but this sort of press is very hard to ditch and people have long memories. I think its going over the edge time at B Towers for those trying to sell all those empty pads.

Now I am confused. STTAB is starting to sound more and more like a bear these days ! Maybe something to do with changing his logo - I thought Yogi bear was much better !

Seriously though this is quite disastrous for Baltic Towers - call me a NIMBY (but she's really not very good looking at all), but this sort of press is very hard to ditch and people have long memories. I think its going over the edge time at B Towers for those trying to sell all those empty pads.

I noticed it too.

BTW, I am thinking about going to the next Pattinson's Auction. If that's the case, I'll let you know

Now I am confused. STTAB is starting to sound more and more like a bear these days!

Not at all.

I know it's far too awkward for the dafter bears to bring themselves to LIKE a particular newbuild development, given their rabid hatred of them on an almost ideological level. But it is, on the other hand, perfectly possible for me to DISLIKE one, and acknowledge its general rubbishness, without having to join the cult.

PS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6906005.stm

Edited by Smarter than the average bear
Or just realized to their horror one day that they were building their house IN BEDLINGTON.

:lol:

Maybe they've moved on to a 10 bedroom, double garaged project in felling or scotswood?

Edited by meow

Houseprices.co.uk has its latest update:

55 degrees north - not crashed but certainly stalled

Are we really to believe that there were only 3 sales in the whole of NE1? Or are estate agents managing to hold/hide figures from being submitted to these house price data sites in order to mask the real picture? Or IS the market just completely flat in city-centre flats?

Houseprices.co.uk has its latest update:

55 degrees north - not crashed but certainly stalled

Are we really to believe that there were only 3 sales in the whole of NE1? Or are estate agents managing to hold/hide figures from being submitted to these house price data sites in order to mask the real picture? Or IS the market just completely flat in city-centre flats?

either way, it's not good news for those who expect capital gains.

with the massive oversupply of flats in NE1 I wonder what's happening to the prices.

Labour 'fails on North-South gap'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6932551.stm

House prices 'to breach £300,000'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6932304.stm

They must think we're all stupid. "House prices to soar 2000% in the next 20 seconds" headlines

This morning Metro headline doesn't come as a surprise; after all, they left us get on with our lives for nearly a month without patronising us with ridiculous spin about house prices inflation but booming economy etc. This morning, despite the Food and Mouth outbreak being the real news, they're at it again. Except, it looks like this time they have missed the boat. By a mile.

Full page headline on Metro: House prices to soar 40%. Fine. Seen it all before. Maybe some daft person will actually believe that and... do what, exactly?

What baffles me is that if you read through the artilcle it says:

-Since Labour came to power in 1997, house prices have soared by 156% while incomes have risen just by35%

-Last week the Council of Mortgage Lenders revealed that repossession rates raised to a eight-year high.

-Interest rates are also set for a sixth rise since last August by the end of this year

They close the article quoting the National Housing Federation* chief executive, one David Orr: 'More and more people are going to find themselves priced out of the property market - and struggling to find a decent home.'

If you ask me, this is VERY bearish data, with a random headline. It should have read "HOUSE PRICES TO FALL 40%"

Let's debunk the article:

IF more and more people are going to find themselves priced out of the property market, due to

-house prices to salary ratio decreased since Labour came to power

-Repossessions rising

-Interest rates rising

THEN house prices must DEFLATE in order to be able to be purchased.

The title says exactly the opposite. They are providing data which suggest the imminent bursting of the housing bubble, and they title it "House prices to soar 40%".

You couldn't make it up!

*the NHF, the body representing Housing Assocs, says house prices will mean that they need more money to expand social housing. http://www.housing.org.uk/default.aspx?tabId=171

I wonder why they would release such a report......