House Price Crash Forum

Another V.I. TV Programme?

I've done two new things today - I made a complaint about a television programme and registered with an internet forum. So here I am; adding to the growing consensus that last night's programme was an utter disgrace - journalistically and ethically.

(Also I'm going to have nightmares about that Goldsmith woman. I can see her now, uncoiling herself from a dark corner of my bedroom and demanding a deposit of blood for a 'compact' chamber in the halls of Hades.)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So angry with last night ad on the BBC for the property market that I broke the habit of a lifetime and wrote to complain. I rushed it and was a little angry so it wasn't the best letter written but text as follows:

I wish to complain about your Real Story programme of 04/04/05 for the following reasons:-

You made no attemp to give a balanced program. Property prices are falling, they just recorded the biggest monthly fall in ten years and many economists believe they will continue to do so, yet this was never mentioned.

Your program encouraged First Time Buyers to take on levels of debt that they have no chance of repaying whilst jeapordising the property of the parents i.e the young man on a salary of £20,000 was encourgaed to borrow £180,000. This country is sinking in a sea of debt and your grossly iresponsible program is encouraging even greater levels of indebtedness.

You present an estate agent as an independent expert on the property market, you may as well ask a car salesman if now is a good time to buy a car !!

Was the program sponsored by the building societies/estate agents/ develeopers ?

You allowed your ‘experts’ assertion that prices would double in the area she choose to recommend go un-challenged. What was her case for suggesting that prices would double in this area ?

The most ridiculous question I have ever heard was when Fiona Bruce asked ‘Why are first time buyers finding it so difficult to buy now ?’!!! ……….. I’ll tell you the answer because prices are totally unrealistic and unsustainable that’s why there are so few of them.

The best advice that anyone could give to first time buyers now is don’t buy ….. prices are falling and will contiune to do so.

To my utter amazement I got this reply:

Thank you for your email and I hope I can address some of the points.Â

Depending on who you refer to, house prices are either falling, rising by their lowest levels in ten years, rising much slower this year than last, or showing a gradual rise this spring. Eitherway many first time buyers feel priced out of the UK property market, so I wanted to make a programme looking at solutions.

Children using their parents as guarantors is a new and increasingly popular concept according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders. In the programme we clearly stated it was more risky and our expert said he should be very careful. As this is a new concept there is very little evidence to suggest yet that it is particularly bad. I will of course keep across this and report it in future programmes if indeed parents and their children are having property repossessed as a result of guarantor mortgages. In the case of Richard Arundel his parents have indeed agreed to act as guarantors to the tune of £180,000. He will rent out two rooms to cover the mortgage. This is a risky concept but one which I wanted to reflect in the programme.Â

Barbara Goldsmith's views were expressed as her views, and not the BBC's. It is really important to express a fresh view point and her's is one I have not heard before, as it paints a different picture that the one repeatedly expressed in the press. I wanted to show there were solutions for first time buyers and in the case of Gary and Nadine they agreed they were too picky and previously not willing to look further a field than Ilkely. In that area there are many regeneration towns. Fiona Bruce did question her on her on that view and Barbara agreed that there is always a risk but she felt they couldn't lose as they were not paying out rent, and that the potential for growth is better on a cheaper property that a very expensive one.Â

Over the last two years Real Story have reported on many property issues and have reflected the warnings of a house price crash, and those losing out due to the property boom. I am sure the property debate will continue and if a crash happens, or prices continue to rise we will reflect it in future programmes.

BBC Current affairs programmes are never sponsored.

I hope this goes some way to answer some of your questions. Programmes like these cannot include all points of view all of the time but I do hope the programme covered some of the solutions for first time buyers.

Sounds like a reasoned response, however as I have now opened a channel of dialogue I would like to keep it open and use it . Any input on a response would be much appreciated. Perhaps we can persaude him to run a program showing the other side of the coin as it were ?

The programme I'd like to see is the one where we start from the same point of view where most FTB'rs are facing a crippling debt for the pleasure of buying into the housing market. But then instead of suggesting that we all start to turn spare rooms into boarding kennels for rabid dogs to cover the mortgage, investigate the sensible solution, that no one seems willing to contemplate, of encouraging the market to deflate.

As this is a new concept there is very little evidence to suggest yet that it is particularly bad. I will of course keep across this and report it in future programmes if indeed parents and their children are having property repossessed as a result of guarantor mortgages

His attitude seems to be "well we can't know it's bad until something bad happens". This was presumably the same mentality behind the creation of atomic/nuclear weapons: "Well we'll wait until AFTER tens of millions of people have been killed BEFORE condemning nuclear weapons".

The terms and conditions of a guarantor mortgage SPECIFICALLY state that the guarantor (parent) is reponsible for the mortgage in the event that the child defaults.

I wanted to make a programme looking at solutions.

You missed out the most obvious one....FOR HOUSE PRICES TO FALL! None of the "solutions" presented were anything of the sort.

It is really important to express a fresh view point and her's is one I have not heard before,

Since when was saying that property prices will rise inexorably a "fresh" viewpoint???? That's all we've been hearing for the last 7 years!!!!

In that area there are many regeneration towns.

Otherwise known as "sh1tholes".

Bearfacts your post originally said:

"To my utter amazement I got this reply from Alex Hill:"

And you gave the reply.

But now it reads:

"To my utter amazement I got this reply, I have had to paraphrase it as apparently copying is forbidden:"

And the reply has been changed slightly.

Can you please say why you have done this? Has someone asked you to change it? If so who and why? In particular why have you removed the name of the person who replied?

Bearfacts your post originally said:

"To my utter amazement I got this reply from Alex Hill:"

And you gave the reply.

But now it reads:

"To my utter amazement I got this reply, I have had to paraphrase it as apparently copying is forbidden:"

And the reply has been changed slightly.

Can you please say why you have done this? Has someone asked you to change it? If so who and why? In particular why have you removed the name of the person who replied?

Because I just read the bit at the bottom which said :

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain

personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically

stated.

If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.

Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in

reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the

BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Not sure exactly what this means but it panicked me a little so I tried to paraphrase the original- alas too late !!

Because I just read the bit at the bottom which said :

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain

personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically

stated.

If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.

Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in

reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the

BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Not sure exactly what this means but it panicked me a little so I tried to paraphrase the original- alas too late !!

OK but the bit about copy or disclose is meant to be for people who may have received the email in error as it's all in the paragraph starting "If you have received it in error..." So I think you were OK first time (I am not a lawyer).

Just a thought - but how about writing to Points of View? - not that many people would watch, but it's an idea - also a bit of promo for housepricecrash.co.uk??

Also - as I missed the programme, has anyone got a copy they could put on thw web - a bit like you did with the 'great house price crash 2005' recently??

I've just visited the site and it says Points of View is off air, though they have a forum where you can air your views, maybe to little effect other than promo value but who knows.

Someone has already started a thread there:

Unreal Story

Heres the article, great read actually, and says it like it is :)

The BBC, a TV company in the UK, and one time paragon of investigative docu-dramas, has descended to a level approaching absolute zero with the broadcasting last night of a 'Property' show which 'addressed the problems of first time buyers' by advising them to either get their parents to buy them a house, or to move to a shed in an area of swapland where property is 'affordable', or 'shack up with mates on a joint mortgage'.

Famous for filling 82% of their publicly-funded schedules with 'property makeover' shows, mixed with a sprinkling of 'how to get rich easily using property', the BBC seem to be the only organisation in Britain without access to the Internet, newspapers, or other media, as they still seem to believe that property prices in the UK 'are rising'. A 2 minute check on the UK's 'Land Registry' would quickly provide any aspiring BBC junior journo with some hard facts and figures on the state of play of the UK's property market (down, for 8 months in a row, in case anyone was still in any doubt).

This level of investigation, however, seems to be beyond the producers of the ' Real Story' programme of 04/04/05, and indicates why the BBC's outrageous 'License Fee' is such stonkingly good value for money. Using an estate agent (Realtor) as an 'expert' instead of researching the issues, the BBC simultaneously managed to provide a completely one sided presentation of highly dubious 'facts', while plugging the website and seminars of the 'expert' in question, a woman with the kudos of having bought a lot of property in one of the worst areas of London at hugely inflated prices.

This qualification, of course, means the 'expert' (Barbara 'Print Your Own Money' Goldman) possesses one of the most vested interests ever seen in a so-called documentary and the fact that she might possibly be wiped out by even modest falls in the property market means she is obviously a great source of unbiased commentary for a BBC journo too lazy even to click a mouse.

Ms Goldman came to the fantastic conclusion that it would 'make sense' for poverty stricken 'first time buyers' in the UK to stretch to a loan of almost ten times their income, using their parent's house as surety. A fabulous strategy at a time when property prices have reached an all time peak in the UK, almost guaranteed not only to lead the first time buyer into bankruptcy, but also to break his parents too. Happy Families indeed, thanks to the BBC and Babs! The BBC, of course, seemed to think this was a 'novel' concept, having not bothererd with the 30 seconds of research necessary to show that such 'guaranteed' loans were, in fact, popular just before the last UK property crash in the early 1990's, and may even have contributed to the severity of that crash.

Next up, Babs offered the even better and more 'novel' idea of 'lowering expectations'. This means settling for a studio flat in a crack-cocaine riddled sink estate on the outskirts of a Moor somewhere, although convenient for the local high security prison and unusually high levels of background radiation. This 'fresh' point of view was almost the low spot of the programme, until Babs managed to pull yet another chunk of carrot from the sick bag with the proclamation that first time buyers should club together. Nice one BBC. So a bunch of young people with no money should move to a peat bog in the Outer Hebrides, get Mummy and Daddy to stump up the deposit, and buy a sheep shed with 16 of their best friends?

So much screen time was given to this 'expert' (who perhaps should be regulated, for offering what amounts to financial advice) that it was hard to believe that the programme was not, in fact a sponsored 'infomercial' for Ms Goldsmith's property-related services and seminars.

Ah yes. Investigative journalism at its best, and confirmation, perhaps, that mass forced redundancies and relocation to pastures cheaper at the Beeb are perhaps long overdue!

By the way - if you are a BBC producer with a string of 'buy to let' properties in the north of England, Razla would like to hear from you. Anonymity guranteed of course.

Guest negativeequity
It will, once it has dropped off the first pages of the main board

Thank you HPC Managemnt

I think judging by the massive responce in the thread and unusually, everyone agreed with each other i.e that the programme was advocating madness in terms of advice to FTB. this thread is a true classic.

A classic thread in reponce to a classic programme.

It well derves its place in the HPC Hall of Fame.

I actually saw this woman speak at Excel a few weeks ago ostensibly about the Thames Gateway and the Olimpics.

She said nothing of any interest on either topic . This will NOT come as a surprise to the people on this thread !

I too was gobsmacked by her ramping of the Stratford market (and Barking and Dagenham ) to be bothered to ask a question at the end. A few people walked out,but I stayed for the laughs.

That the BBC were taken in by her is beyond belief. It is only ENTERTAINMENT and we must not forget that.

I actually saw this woman speak at Excel a few weeks ago ostensibly  about the Thames Gateway and the Olimpics.

She said nothing of any interest on either topic . This will NOT come as a surprise to the people on this thread !

I too was gobsmacked by her ramping of the Stratford market (and Barking and Dagenham ) to be bothered to ask a question at the end. A few people walked out,but I stayed for the laughs.

That the BBC were taken in by her is beyond belief. It is only ENTERTAINMENT and we must not forget that.

She was advising people to move to Kings Cross as well last night.

Incredible. She is of course getting ready for 8 years' time! The cheeky bint! She's bought up loads of property in glorious east, east London, and waiting for the (possible) Olympics to make her rich. I can hardly believe the cheek of the woman...

She's probably realised we ain't going to get the Olympics, and that unless FTbers flock to this "upcoming" area, she is up the creek without a paddle!

Guest pioneer31
Current affairs programs cannot include all points of view all of the time

This is a very flimsy response

One member arguing for each side of the debate is the least we should be able to expect.

Otherwise, why not let Michael Howard and the shadow cabinet present question time?

Well at last theres someone who can think with their brain instead of their dick and see that the buck for last nights vested interest drivel stops with the programme producer and not Babs the snake oil seller who simply took the chance to plug her business. Where was the other point of view on the program? Why wasn't she challenged? Why is *all* the anger on this forum directed at Babs and none at the real culprits the program makers?