Kingston Upon Thames

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-7.2% Wonderful :lol:

It does seem a massive drop, but surely these figures could be easily skewed a few less £2-3m houses on Coombe Hill going on the market and a lot more sub-£150k one bed flats in Tolworth/Chessington replacing them?

Prices are definitely going down quickly, though.

It does seem a massive drop, but surely these figures could be easily skewed a few less £2-3m houses on Coombe Hill going on the market and a lot more sub-£150k one bed flats in Tolworth/Chessington replacing them?

Prices are definitely going down quickly, though.

Agreed, except that the Richmond and Kingston figures are pretty similar. A contact in one of the EAs in Richmond told me that their figures were very good last month as they had sold 1 x £6m and 1 x £3m house (but very little else!)

This is the Sound,

This is the Sound of the Suburbs

This is the Sound,

Every Lousy Monday Morning Heathrow jets goes crashing over my home,

Ten O’clock Broadmoor siren driving me mad won’t leave me alone,

The woman next door just sits and stares outside,

She hasn’t come out once ever since her husband died,

This is the Sound,

This is the Sound,

Paddles - I know I am falling into your trap and allowing you to continue to hijack this thread with your tiresome "Planes over Kingston" message, but I have to nail this one once and for all. Kingston is affected by Heathrow noise to some degree - the whole of London is. However, it is not especially affected. KT is both too close to the airport for incoming stacking and too far away for substantial noise pollution. It is south of the airport, so relatively unaffected by departing aircraft either leave west of east along the runway corridors. Information about this can be found here. This will allow you to spend as much time as you wish checking the flightpaths of LHR aircraft. I don't suppose you will give it too much time, however, as it will compromise your mistaken impression that the outskirts of SW London are overly affected by aircraft noise.

Now, why don't you return to your second favourite past-time - harassing the Foxtons staff.

BD

I agree, compared to a lot of shopping areas, kingston is still a good place to go for, but it needs the local business to make it a little more unique.

The problem is that the overhead is too high for retail space in Kingston. Because it is seen as a 'regional shopping centre', the rents are double what they are elsewhere locally. There are a few decent independent retailers in Surbiton and Esher. I am not sure how they survive with the lack of shoppers in these small towns, but the risk in doubling the rent and moving to Kingston is too much.

Kingston is affected by Heathrow noise to some degree - the whole of London is. However, it is not especially affected.

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to this type of noise. If you don't want to hear any aircraft noise at all, Kingston is not the place to live, but it is very minor compared to places further north like Richmond, Hounslow, Hammersmith etc

I am quite sensitive to this type of noise, and it has hardly ever bothered me in Kingston.

Paddles - I know I am falling into your trap and allowing you to continue to hijack this thread with your tiresome "Planes over Kingston" message, but I have to nail this one once and for all. Kingston is affected by Heathrow noise to some degree - the whole of London is. However, it is not especially affected. KT is both too close to the airport for incoming stacking and too far away for substantial noise pollution. It is south of the airport, so relatively unaffected by departing aircraft either leave west of east along the runway corridors. Information about this can be found here. This will allow you to spend as much time as you wish checking the flightpaths of LHR aircraft. I don't suppose you will give it too much time, however, as it will compromise your mistaken impression that the outskirts of SW London are overly affected by aircraft noise.

Now, why don't you return to your second favourite past-time - harassing the Foxtons staff.

BD

You misunderstand my use of those lyrics; I was having a pop at all the reclusive widows in Kingston.... um....

Anyway, call me picky, but Kingston isn't SW London. I prefer to think of in terms of SE Wales.

Edited by Paddles

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to this type of noise. If you don't want to hear any aircraft noise at all, Kingston is not the place to live, but it is very minor compared to places further north like Richmond, Hounslow, Hammersmith etc

I am quite sensitive to this type of noise, and it has hardly ever bothered me in Kingston.

We only get it very occasionally here (just off Kingston Hill) and I don't suppose I'd notice it at all if not for the fact that we don't get any traffic noise. Loudest racket in my garden is the parakeets.

Richmond, on the other hand... I've been a lot to Richmond open air pool lately - one aircraft directly overhead every two lengths.

You misunderstand my use of those lyrics; I was having a pop at all the reclusive widows in Kingston.... um....

Anyway, call me picky, but Kingston isn't SW London. I prefer to think of in terms of SE Wales.

On the aircraft side - An artificial climbdown there, but a climbdown nonetheless.

On much we agree. I personally don't like Kingston either - the town is full of bony-nosed ratboys and it is probably more dangerous than its Jamaican namesake after midnight. The best things about the borough occur outside of the main town - Surbiton, Esher, Claygate - these are the places with individual shops on the highstreet, with residents who frequently go into London using the fast train line, with restaurants where you can have nice food in a friendly atmosphere. Kingston offers none of these. I can't stand Kingston the town, but the borough has some nice places.

BTW - I don't live there anymore but I still occasionally come back to Surbiton and go visiting the pubs.

BD

Edited by BREWERSDROOP

...and it is probably more dangerous than its Jamaican namesake after midnight.

hmmm...i very much doubt it! ;)

Actually I'm not going to join in the bashing of KT as compared to a lot of places in london it's actually pretty good. All places have got their pros and cons.

My likes are...

Easy to get to and from

Can be out of London in double quick time

You'll never go thirsty!

Decent restaurants / good cinema complex / amenities etc

Great music shop

The river.

My dislikes...

Some strange people ranging from snooty to downright dirty (kinda sums london up!)

The lack of parking for local people who are conned by parking permits.

House prices unreal (but that's changing)

I know the town isn't everyone's cup of tea but there are plenty worse for many more reasons and I've lived in a lot of them! You still cannot beat proper country though but that's a different living experience.

Actually I'm not going to join in the bashing of KT as compared to a lot of places in london it's actually pretty good. All places have got their pros and cons.

Ditto. Mr Bear just back from 6 months in S Africa on and off, and he's really missed having the park on the doorstep. One of the reasons we're still here after over 20 years. We have friends in Devon who live down a tiny lane with grass growing down the middle of it, but you still have to get in the car and drive 15 mins to be able to let the dogs off the lead. Crazy that dog-walking is so much less of a performance when they're here.

Snuffle, just wondering how you're getting on. Any joy with the sale yet?

Crazy that dog-walking is so much less of a performance when they're here.

London is a fantastic place to have dogs. I have a pair of springer spaniels, which is an incredibly active boisterous breed, and we have so much choice about walking them. We can leave the house in the morning and walk for hours with them. Around Wimbledon Common and across the road to Richmond Park is their new favourite walk. (Though we have to be careful to avoid the deer.)

Which is exactly why they can't have that kind of freedom in the country. It's a rare dog that you can take for a walk through a field of sheep or cows without having to worry that they'll cause mayhem. However I'd be pretty wary of owning property too near to a tidal river with a shitty outdated barrier.

London is a fantastic place to have dogs. I have a pair of springer spaniels, which is an incredibly active boisterous breed, and we have so much choice about walking them. We can leave the house in the morning and walk for hours with them. Around Wimbledon Common and across the road to Richmond Park is their new favourite walk. (Though we have to be careful to avoid the deer.)

Which is exactly why they can't have that kind of freedom in the country. It's a rare dog that you can take for a walk through a field of sheep or cows without having to worry that they'll cause mayhem.

God, don't tell me. Once spent half a New Year's Day trying to find Devon friends' flattie after she decided to go and make friends with sheep 2 fields away... Farmer was not amused. Her dad (well, he never had any kids so it's about right) had actually bought a huge field with a stream at the bottom, purely for the dogs to run in - had to sell it 2 yrs later because of sheep nearby.

Luckily our old dog (RIP) never chased the R park deer. Would hardly go more than 25 yards away from me - she was a terrible Mummy's dog.

Another drop in KT2:

This one reduced from £375ish 2-3 weeks ago, now on with 2 agents at £349,950, still not U/O.

Farthings is tucked away behind lower reaches of Kingston Hill, OK area, easy walk Norbiton Station etc.

Of course I've been for a good old nose round the outside ;)

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=03500

This was U/O recently, but now for sale again - at £335K, offers invited.

On much we agree. I personally don't like Kingston either - the town is full of bony-nosed ratboys and it is probably more dangerous than its Jamaican namesake after midnight. The best things about the borough occur outside of the main town - Surbiton, Esher, Claygate - these are the places with individual shops on the highstreet, with residents who frequently go into London using the fast train line, with restaurants where you can have nice food in a friendly atmosphere. Kingston offers none of these. I can't stand Kingston the town, but the borough has some nice places.

BTW - I don't live there anymore but I still occasionally come back to Surbiton and go visiting the pubs.

BD

I partially agree, although I don't think Kingston is particularly dangerous if you are over 25. The vermin youth tend to prefer to pick on each other rather than anyone else. Either way, it is not particularly pleasant to encounter them if you are on the way back from the cinema, for example. If you avoid the cheesy nightclub areas it is fine - I often have a nice meal/drink down by the river late in the evening with no hassle. For a large town, it is still pretty good. I have seen more trouble in Guildford and Sutton on occasional visits than I have done in Kingston in years of living close by.

Surbiton is the only place that I would want to live in the borough, though. It is nice to be able to walk into Kingston easily, but living just a mile away means that you escape all of it's downsides. The bars and restaurants in Surbiton are nicer too, and the train link much better. It is surprising just how peaceful parts of Surbiton are really, even when you are within a mile of Kingston town centre, and half a mile from Surbiton centre as well.

Esher and Claygate are actually in the borough of Elmbridge, but share the KT postcode. They are lovely areas but probably cater for families better than singles/couples.

London Lite

Report on the stale nature of the market. Which area came out as hardest to shift a property....you guessed it!

I think this is down to a reluctance to meet valuations. Fair play to hold out, or just desperation?

Anyway, still makes interesting reading.

kj

http://www.smartnewhomes.com/property/Deta...aspx#img1876302

"Trinity reach is set in Kingston-upon-Thames, one of the most desirable and prosperous areas in southwest London, which has long been the retreat of royalty, the wealthy and the artistic. Just a mile from the vibrant centre of Kingston, yards from Old Father Thames, you’ll discover our stylish new development"

Discuss...

According to a large ad in Saturday's Telegraph, all 6 of these are still for sale, still at £1.69m, down from £2.2.

And the developers are offering to pay the stamp duty, which if my sums are right = £67,600.

Hi Folks,

I've been reading this forum for some time now but this is my first post. I would appreciate your input in the following situation.

My parents are looking at houses in the Coombeside are and really seem keen on this one;

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=00491

The question is that i'm finding it tricky putting a "semi-accurate" figure on it in this housing climate.

What should the ceiling price be?

Should one wait another 6 months or so or is there danger of missing the boat?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My parents are moving back from abroad so there is no rush to buy and they come with a substantial depo.

Thank you.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My parents are moving back from abroad so there is no rush to buy and they come with a substantial depo.

Thank you.

Coombe is a very difficult one to estimate. Some of the best roads (off Kingston Hill) are super expensive, and would not really follow the general Kingston market at all.

The house that you linked to is not in one of those roads, and does not look a bad price compared to some in this part of the area. The lack of internal pictures would suggest that this is due to it being in need of significant internal modernisation. Prices are coming down in the area as a whole and I think that this part of Coombe WILL be affected sooner or later.

I would certainly not be worried about 'missing the boat' by not buying in now. Some will argue that houses in this type of road will merely stagnate or fall a little, others will say that they will take the full force of the crash. No one is saying that values will increase in the short term.

Aye, right now the only time you'll miss the boat is by being too quick.

Credit is gone. Way gone. Anyone with 300k+ in the bank and more than 25 years to retirement likely to buy this?

Anyone else noticed the local property rag that gets stuffed through the door at weekends has got a bit... slender? This week seemed to have more rentals than sales in it!

Anyone else noticed the local property rag that gets stuffed through the door at weekends has got a bit... slender? This week seemed to have more rentals than sales in it!

I haven't seen that come through in a while, but I have noticed a distinct lack of houses coming onto the market. My area of interest is quite small, but nothing that fits the bill has come on at all in the last 2 months at any price. Up until the summer there was something coming on most weeks.