Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
kittingerjump

Kingston Upon Thames

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, longgone said:

It's an awful location. Right on the main road with constant traffic noise/jams, but too far to walk to Esher or Surbiton stations, so you'd have to go to Thames Ditton and either change at Surbiton or sit on the slow one.

It is really handy if you like to spend your weekends looking around car dealerships or self-storage facilities, though.

I'd definitely not want to live there, but I bet someone will still offer near £1m for this. If the developer rejects that, I can see it staying on the market a very long time. Awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, worried1 said:

It's an awful location. Right on the main road with constant traffic noise/jams, but too far to walk to Esher or Surbiton stations, so you'd have to go to Thames Ditton and either change at Surbiton or sit on the slow one.

It is really handy if you like to spend your weekends looking around car dealerships or self-storage facilities, though.

I'd definitely not want to live there, but I bet someone will still offer near £1m for this. If the developer rejects that, I can see it staying on the market a very long time. Awful.

it was supposed to be flats originally  which was what was there before. god knows why they changed the plan, as there is more risk trying to shift 4 units.  the asking price is ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, worried1 said:

It's an awful location. Right on the main road with constant traffic noise/jams, but too far to walk to Esher or Surbiton stations, so you'd have to go to Thames Ditton and either change at Surbiton or sit on the slow one.

It is really handy if you like to spend your weekends looking around car dealerships or self-storage facilities, though.

I'd definitely not want to live there, but I bet someone will still offer near £1m for this. If the developer rejects that, I can see it staying on the market a very long time. Awful.

That is absurd. Anyone spending that much money on a house can surely find a nicer place. Sure, there is a lot of floor area and you get a "ready to live in place" but otherwise it is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am new to this thread but have been lurking for a while. Very interesting for me as I was born and raised in SW London and have lived in Kingston for almost 10 years now. Also interesting to see how popular and long running this thread is versus the ones for other parts of London.

Anyway, this is crazy, right? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/57045018

Flicking through the first few pictures I expected a double fronted or large detached house. Maybe something on Latchmere or Liverpool Rd for that money. I  can see that they've extended the hell out of it, but £1.3m?! I guess it's the classic Foxtons' mark up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2018 at 15:40, KT2new said:

Am new to this thread but have been lurking for a while. Very interesting for me as I was born and raised in SW London and have lived in Kingston for almost 10 years now. Also interesting to see how popular and long running this thread is versus the ones for other parts of London.

Anyway, this is crazy, right? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/57045018

Flicking through the first few pictures I expected a double fronted or large detached house. Maybe something on Latchmere or Liverpool Rd for that money. I  can see that they've extended the hell out of it, but £1.3m?! I guess it's the classic Foxtons' mark up? 

Absolutely mad price.

Then again, I keep coming back to this "under offer" property here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:40, KT2new said:

Am new to this thread but have been lurking for a while. Very interesting for me as I was born and raised in SW London and have lived in Kingston for almost 10 years now. Also interesting to see how popular and long running this thread is versus the ones for other parts of London.

Anyway, this is crazy, right? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/57045018

Flicking through the first few pictures I expected a double fronted or large detached house. Maybe something on Latchmere or Liverpool Rd for that money. I  can see that they've extended the hell out of it, but £1.3m?! I guess it's the classic Foxtons' mark up? 

I have been on this thread for years. It is really interesting to see what was considered crazy in 2013 actually seems like a very reasonable price now!

That is the problem with HPC. I believe that we are definitely 'right', in that prices have been far too high for a very long time, but if I hadn't heeded the advice and bought a house in 2013 and sold it in 2017, I'd have made a lot of money for doing nothing at all!

The local thread is one of the most interesting to me because prices are so variable between different areas. A small terraced house for £500k would look good value in most of Kingston, a complete steal in Richmond, but far too expensive in most places outside of the M25.

That house you linked to is definitely a crazy price in my opinion. I notice that Foxtons have put a lot of interior photos before the shot of the outside of the house, presumably thinking they are tricking potential buyers into thinking that this is a much grander house as opposed to an extended workers cottage.

The trouble is that Foxtons (and others) tend to value on sqft rather than house type. That can't be right - I'd much rather have a 1,200sqft detached house with room to extend sensibly in the future than something like this. The problem is compounded by the fact that the Foxtons view of what each sqft is worth is very high as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 09:44, worried1 said:

I have been on this thread for years. It is really interesting to see what was considered crazy in 2013 actually seems like a very reasonable price now!

That is the problem with HPC. I believe that we are definitely 'right', in that prices have been far too high for a very long time, but if I hadn't heeded the advice and bought a house in 2013 and sold it in 2017, I'd have made a lot of money for doing nothing at all!

The local thread is one of the most interesting to me because prices are so variable between different areas. A small terraced house for £500k would look good value in most of Kingston, a complete steal in Richmond, but far too expensive in most places outside of the M25.

That house you linked to is definitely a crazy price in my opinion. I notice that Foxtons have put a lot of interior photos before the shot of the outside of the house, presumably thinking they are tricking potential buyers into thinking that this is a much grander house as opposed to an extended workers cottage.

The trouble is that Foxtons (and others) tend to value on sqft rather than house type. That can't be right - I'd much rather have a 1,200sqft detached house with room to extend sensibly in the future than something like this. The problem is compounded by the fact that the Foxtons view of what each sqft is worth is very high as well.

will we ever see pre HTB pices though.  

even with cheap rates i cannot see how someone can pay the prices being asked. even if they halved they are still ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, longgone said:

will we ever see pre HTB pices though.  

even with cheap rates i cannot see how someone can pay the prices being asked. even if they halved they are still ridiculous. 

 

If ALL support was removed then prices would have to go down, I guess. Whether we would ever see them go that low is debatable. I think not because the biggest housing bubble of all time has engulfed a whole generation who now believe houses prices only ever go up. Even a sharp crash probably wouldn't put a lot of them off - they'd just buy in expecting the market to start going up again next year.

I don't think that the support will be removed anyway. If rates do go up meaningfully, we'll see more schemes like HTB and increasingly ridiculous fractional ownership.

The developers wield a lot of power, just look at their shameless claims that HTB has been a great help to buyers and the economy, when it is totally obvious to all concerned that they themselves are the only real beneficiaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, worried1 said:

 

If ALL support was removed then prices would have to go down, I guess. Whether we would ever see them go that low is debatable. I think not because the biggest housing bubble of all time has engulfed a whole generation who now believe houses prices only ever go up. Even a sharp crash probably wouldn't put a lot of them off - they'd just buy in expecting the market to start going up again next year.

I don't think that the support will be removed anyway. If rates do go up meaningfully, we'll see more schemes like HTB and increasingly ridiculous fractional ownership.

The developers wield a lot of power, just look at their shameless claims that HTB has been a great help to buyers and the economy, when it is totally obvious to all concerned that they themselves are the only real beneficiaries. 

The problem is global in nature, so talking about the UK removing props such as HTB might make a small dent but if people aren't prepared to look into the reasons the problem is global, then we'll continually be blaming the wrong things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   64 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.