House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441
Sorry, everyone's allowed an opinion and mine is that some areas of Greater London are beyond the pale. These include (and here's the bit where I lose what few friends I have left on here);

- The far South West (i.e. anything further than Barnes). It's just drenched in jettisoned avation fuel.

- The East. Yes, there's a reason why it's so cheap, feel free to send a thank-you note to the Luftwaffe.

- Anywhere in the North outside of zone 2 unless you really really need to eat fried chicken on the way home from the tube.

- Sarf Lahndan. It's just yardie crack gang/drunk Irish hell.

So, those are my prejudices. Sorry an' all.

OK, Paddles. No offence taken.

Kittingerjump, thanks for Maple Road info - will take a look.

If you ever go to Ayudhya, ask for a table downstairs. Nowt wrong with upstairs but decor down is nicer.

As for KoT council, don't get me started on them - I'd be here all night. I actually work for them very part-time, but slag them off so much it's a miracle I haven't been sacked. :P

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
Sorry, everyone's allowed an opinion and mine is that some areas of Greater London are beyond the pale. These include (and here's the bit where I lose what few friends I have left on here);

- The far South West (i.e. anything further than Barnes). It's just drenched in jettisoned avation fuel.

- The East. Yes, there's a reason why it's so cheap, feel free to send a thank-you note to the Luftwaffe.

- Anywhere in the North outside of zone 2 unless you really really need to eat fried chicken on the way home from the tube.

- Sarf Lahndan. It's just yardie crack gang/drunk Irish hell.

So, those are my prejudices. Sorry an' all.

Basically, most of London (and England!) is pretty bad, but it has nice pockets. For example, you mention north London outside of zone 2, but what about the more central areas? I went to Highbury & Islington station for the first time ever last weekend, and have never felt so intimidated in my life. I was physically threatened on the way out of the station and racially taunted (I am white) on my way back in. It was just as bad all the way along the Holloway Road. I have been to other parts of Islington and Camden many times and they have been fine. If I hadn't, though, it would have coloured my view of north London.

Interested that you mention Barnes, as I find this to be one of the worse-affected areas for air noise.

HOLA444

if kot is over valued have a look at teddington.

less than 2 miles down the road and nearly a million quid for a nice 4 bed semi close to high street. the commute is longer as well. nice area although within borough of rot aka anti car fundamentalists

HOLA445
Basically, most of London (and England!) is pretty bad, but it has nice pockets. For example, you mention north London outside of zone 2, but what about the more central areas? I went to Highbury & Islington station for the first time ever last weekend, and have never felt so intimidated in my life. I was physically threatened on the way out of the station and racially taunted (I am white) on my way back in. It was just as bad all the way along the Holloway Road. I have been to other parts of Islington and Camden many times and they have been fine. If I hadn't, though, it would have coloured my view of north London.

Interested that you mention Barnes, as I find this to be one of the worse-affected areas for air noise.

That's a fair point; there's a 500m area around Highbury and Isington station that seems like a war zone, full of people drinking out of cans or the Wetherspoons (the next step up the alcoholic's ladder) with dogs on ropes and facial tattoos. Once you've run that gauntlet in all directions except north (i.e. the Holloway Road) the area tends to get tidier.

HOLA446
That's a fair point; there's a 500m area around Highbury and Isington station that seems like a war zone, full of people drinking out of cans or the Wetherspoons (the next step up the alcoholic's ladder) with dogs on ropes and facial tattoos. Once you've run that gauntlet in all directions except north (i.e. the Holloway Road) the area tends to get tidier.

I had a walk around some of the backstreets behind the station, and they were lovely (large, unconverted victorian houses and very leafy streets) - it felt more like Richmond Hill than central London. I should imagine that it is fairly pricey through.

HOLA447
if kot is over valued have a look at teddington.

less than 2 miles down the road and nearly a million quid for a nice 4 bed semi close to high street. the commute is longer as well. nice area although within borough of rot aka anti car fundamentalists

I have never really understood why Teddington is so expensive. It is a nice area (more of the original victorian architecture, with not as much ugly modern infill as Kingston or Surbiton), but I think the reason that people live in suburban areas is a quick link to London and easy access to everything else. Teddington has a 35+ minute train journey into Waterloo, and for any real shopping or facilities it is a bus ride/drive into Richmond or Kingston.

Also, the 2 mile distance does make a big difference to the aircraft noise, which seems much worse in Teddington.

I guess it is just the look & feel of the area and it's reptation that keep prices higher.

HOLA448
I went to Highbury & Islington station for the first time ever last weekend, and have never felt so intimidated in my life.

There's plenty worse than that! I think it's another area that has quite an edgy undertone, but that's London for you. I think after a time it get's the better of most...

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I've just repeated my 2 standard flat searches on findaproperty. (KT2 only)

Sales, £200K-£350K, min 2 beds, = 104

Rentals, £850-£1400pcm, min 2 beds, = 143.

While no. of rentals has stayed around the same, no. of sales has gone up considerably. (Static at 88-ish until recently.)

Would perhaps indicate that while most BTL-ers are staying put, since precious little hope of selling at the moment, properties already on the market and needing to be sold are reducing into this bracket.

HOLA4411

http://www.smartnewhomes.com/property/Deta...aspx#img1876302

"Trinity reach is set in Kingston-upon-Thames, one of the most desirable and prosperous areas in southwest London, which has long been the retreat of royalty, the wealthy and the artistic. Just a mile from the vibrant centre of Kingston, yards from Old Father Thames, you’ll discover our stylish new development"

Discuss...

HOLA4412

"Trinity reach is set in Kingston-upon-Thames, one of the most desirable and prosperous areas in southwest London, which has long been the retreat of royalty, the wealthy and the artistic. Just a mile from the vibrant centre of Kingston, yards from Old Father Thames, you’ll discover our stylish new development"

Discuss...

Ouch...£1.9m! Now I am a great fan of this area, but I can't see how people are going to justify that sort of money. People who do have that amount to spend are going to want to live on top of Richmond Hill, not a mile away from Kingston with no river views!

HOLA4413

Discuss...

Anyone got Property Bee? I could swear that not long ago these were up for £2.2M.

HOLA4414

I haven't got property bee. Is it good as I've heard many people comment on it but haven't got round to using it. What I found hilarious was the sales speak (apart from the price tag!). Old Father Thames etc! I think I've seen the development and it's not in a great location in terms of how it is being sold.

The prices though have started to shift downwards more noticeably in the last couple of weeks. I think finally people may be getting the message that the quoted prices are too high. Some of the people that have bought 'luxury' riverside flats must be worried.

HOLA4415
I haven't got property bee. Is it good as I've heard many people comment on it but haven't got round to using it. What I found hilarious was the sales speak (apart from the price tag!). Old Father Thames etc! I think I've seen the development and it's not in a great location in terms of how it is being sold.

The prices though have started to shift downwards more noticeably in the last couple of weeks. I think finally people may be getting the message that the quoted prices are too high. Some of the people that have bought 'luxury' riverside flats must be worried.

I must go and have a good old nose. To be fair they are pretty big houses, but at that sort of price I would think most would want a detached.

But do agree about the sales blurb. 'Purple prose' is the term that springs to mind. :P

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Has anyone seen these? £210K for 35.8 sq m!! And the 'bedroom' doesn't even have a proper window.

http://www.findanewhome.com/south-east-eng...54-7c5b44e2e7fd

scary stuff...I think I'm going to do a little bit of research on this..

Shocking to think though that they are trying to get 210k for this pile of rubbish. Even a young, affluent single person would not be fooled into this. This price is soooo last year! haha!

HOLA4418
scary stuff...I think I'm going to do a little bit of research on this..

Shocking to think though that they are trying to get 210k for this pile of rubbish. Even a young, affluent single person would not be fooled into this. This price is soooo last year! haha!

Even at last summer's peak we thought they were terribly overpriced for such minute space. But a lot of them seemed to sell - no doubt to BTL-ers - I couldn't see anyone with half a brain buying for themselves, but you never know. That 'stylish' look seems to seduce a lot of dopes who can't see that there's absolutely nowhere to put anything.

HOLA4419
Has anyone seen these? £210K for 35.8 sq m!! And the 'bedroom' doesn't even have a proper window.

http://www.findanewhome.com/south-east-eng...54-7c5b44e2e7fd

By contrast here's one I mentioned before, reduced to 'offers over £240K' - would have been at least £265K not so long ago. I looked at one of these last year - building is pretty hideous and the entrance area is old-fashioned, but they're really good-sized flats.

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.a...p;agentid=00720

HOLA4420

Mrs. Bear, I drove through the area yesterday with Mrs. Paddles. We had our usual chuckle at the mail-order brides in Richmond and then I said "but I suppose one thing in Richmond and Kingston's favour is that they have the riverside".

To which Mrs. Paddles said "so has Bangladesh and we're not f*cking moving there either".

Had to share it with you, sorry!

HOLA4421
Ouch...£1.9m! Now I am a great fan of this area, but I can't see how people are going to justify that sort of money. People who do have that amount to spend are going to want to live on top of Richmond Hill, not a mile away from Kingston with no river views!

I think the first digit must be a typo, surely a zero, that's it £0.9m and not worth a penny more.

HOLA4422
Mrs. Bear, I drove through the area yesterday with Mrs. Paddles. We had our usual chuckle at the mail-order brides in Richmond and then I said "but I suppose one thing in Richmond and Kingston's favour is that they have the riverside".

To which Mrs. Paddles said "so has Bangladesh and we're not f*cking moving there either".

Had to share it with you, sorry!

:P:P

Do agree Kingston riverside is no great shakes, but there's still a pretty nice green walk if you head from Canbury Gardens towards Teddington Lock. Useless K Council should have made much more of riverside when K centre was re-developed. But there you go, they are useless - only interested in tax-earning s*dding shops and flats. Richmond riverside is nicer, but positively heaves in summer.

The mail-order brides aspect of R is a new one on me, but then I hardly ever go except to dentist and theatre. Mr Bear sometimes meets an ex-colleague there for catch-up bevvies - shall have to ask whether he's noticed, but unlikely. Could probably paint sitting room purple and he wouldn't notice. :P

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Just emailed to me by Primelocation, A* candidate for this week's 'Most Overpriced' prize:

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-f...1&skipreg=1

Looks like some blithely optimistic nutter trying to offload a rental.

What's going on round the back of the loo??? Looks like serious tiling problem. What on earth possessed them to take a picture of it?

:lol: overpriced is 100% accurate.

Love the views :blink:

HOLA4425