House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441

OK this'll amuse you Kingstonians

I sold one of these (albeit in vastly better condition) in 07 for £246K

Most expensive Kingston Ex-LA ever?

This is one of the better, smaller, better located LA estates in Kingston

IMO the ceiling for this sort of thing is about £175K - ie the stamp duty threshold.

I think the above puts any current "uptick" in perspective

When I look at the pics I feel relieved to have got out and be renting a smart flat in Putney

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
OK this'll amuse you Kingstonians

I sold one of these (albeit in vastly better condition) in 07 for £246K

Most expensive Kingston Ex-LA ever?

This is one of the better, smaller, better located LA estates in Kingston

IMO the ceiling for this sort of thing is about £175K - ie the stamp duty threshold.

I think the above puts any current "uptick" in perspective

When I look at the pics I feel relieved to have got out and be renting a smart flat in Putney

I am not sure that it is any more unreasonable than a lot of the flats on the market at the moment. I think a lot of people are prepared to look past the ex-LA thing as long as it is not on one of the big estates like Cambridge or Kingsympton.

This flat is very close by, for £10k more. Despite it's smart new build appearance, you get no separate kitchen, 1 bedroom instead of 3, and 500 sqft instead of almost 900. I'd have neither in that location, but you certainly get more for your money with the ex-LA - almost twice as much in fact.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...ts%26index%3D10

HOLA443
but you certainly get more for your money with the ex-LA - almost twice as much in fact.

You certainly get more than you bargain for with ex-LA, I've pormised mysellf that I would never put myself through that again.

Chavvy kids useing the stairwells as a hangout, smashing the windows (which were NEVER replaced just boarded up) - in fact RBK did almost exactly no maintenance during the time was there other than simply patch things up.

Drug addicts using the stairwells to shoot up then leaving needles lying around.

Neighbours not taking their rubbish down and leaving it piled up outside their front door for you to step over.

gangs of kids getting drunk and fighting at weekends on the estate.

Constant noise and shouting.

yep you definitely get more sqft for your money - but is it worth it at that money?

never again

HOLA444
You certainly get more than you bargain for with ex-LA, I've pormised mysellf that I would never put myself through that again.

Chavvy kids useing the stairwells as a hangout, smashing the windows (which were NEVER replaced just boarded up) - in fact RBK did almost exactly no maintenance during the time was there other than simply patch things up.

Drug addicts using the stairwells to shoot up then leaving needles lying around.

Neighbours not taking their rubbish down and leaving it piled up outside their front door for you to step over.

gangs of kids getting drunk and fighting at weekends on the estate.

Constant noise and shouting.

yep you definitely get more sqft for your money - but is it worth it at that money?

never again

You definitely put a good case not to get one at any price! I think I am a little naive with this sort of thing. I know that type of thing happens all the time on the Cambridge Estate (I don't even really feel comfortable driving past it), but thought it would be a lot less on the smaller estates where there is a good proportion of privately-owned places.

I love Kingston as an area, but it amazes me that people will put up with this type of thing to live here. Take the people that bought your flat for £246k - they could have bought a house on a nice road in somewhere like Woking, Crawley or Redhill for that money, and still have not much of a longer train ride into town.

Ok, these are hardly the nicest places in the SE, but I would rather live there than in a poor part of Kingston and go through what you did.

It also underlines just how expensive the niver parts of Kingston still are - once you strip out all of the ex-LA and poorer areas from your search, you are back to over £200k of a 1 bed flat.

• 1 month later...
HOLA445

Hi there, Not been on this site for some time as I've not been thinking much about housing. Although figures would suggest a blooming market, all I've seen are more shops shutting (the latest being the newspaper shop at Kingston station although it might be a refurbish!) Also, notice so many 'for let' signs above the shops. Lots of empty buildings. That doesn't mean kingston is deserted as it's always looking busy. House wise on globrix, it has been quiet, not much coming on or going off. I've tracked several properties for amusement and most seem to come off after 3-4 months before reappearing (some at inflated prices) So how are others finding it? And how is this site as well, still as relevant?

HOLA446
HOLA447

On the subject of Kingston station, what is being built just opposite? Surely not more flats in that location (ie, right on the one-way)...

Hi there,

got no idea but I enjoyed the space created when the old shops got knocked down. The new build looks unsurprisingly like flats above shops. Great, another town planning disaster!

HOLA448

Hi there,

got no idea but I enjoyed the space created when the old shops got knocked down. The new build looks unsurprisingly like flats above shops. Great, another town planning disaster!

Yes, that's precisely what it looks like to me too! A truly horrendous location. Handy for the station and the Rotunda though - providing you don't get flattened crossing the one way.

Regarding your earlier query about the state of the market in Kingston - I haven't been watching either, but it just seems to just be on-hold at the moment. I don't think there's been a crash as such. Anyway, the politicians mostly seem to view a buoyant property market as part of the 'recovery'. It's how things have been made to work for the past 10+ years. There is no plan B.

HOLA449

Yes, that's precisely what it looks like to me too! A truly horrendous location. Handy for the station and the Rotunda though - providing you don't get flattened crossing the one way.

Regarding your earlier query about the state of the market in Kingston - I haven't been watching either, but it just seems to just be on-hold at the moment. I don't think there's been a crash as such. Anyway, the politicians mostly seem to view a buoyant property market as part of the 'recovery'. It's how things have been made to work for the past 10+ years. There is no plan B.

It is about the worst location I can think of in Kingston. The Rotunda has a great cinema and bowling alley, but you would have to go there very often to make it worth living next to a place like that and the type of people it is bound to attract. Kingston has great facilities and is a great place to live near i.e. within a 10 minute walk of the town centre, but as with all large towns it becomes over-run with drunk teenagers in the evenings.

The market does not seem to be moving at the moment - good stuff still seems to be selling at 85%+ of peak price, the rest just sticks on there for months.

HOLA4410

Kingston has great facilities and is a great place to live near i.e. within a 10 minute walk of the town centre, but as with all large towns it becomes over-run with drunk teenagers in the evenings.

Fortunately, I am almost exactly 10 minutes away.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Hi, all,

Anyone else seen this in The Times today?

Whole article I think has been posted elsewhere ('House prices slip as owners aim to sell by Christmas') but in the paper Times there is also a chart of 'best' and 'worst' performers re monthly change for November. (Best naturally = prices rising most. :( )

'Worst' are listed as:

Barking and Dagenham at -5.3%

Kingston upon Thames at -4.8%

Richmond on Thames at -4.7%

Westminster at -4.7%

Havering at 4.2%

Whole article at

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/property_and_mortgages/article6917998.ece

HOLA4412

Hi, all,

Anyone else seen this in The Times today?

This is an interesting article. Kingston always seems to wildly fluctuate and I'm not sure if this is because there are some properties at the higher end which can shift the balance more noticeably than some other areas. Some of the asking prices are shocking considering what you are getting in terms of space. I have to admit that I've considering looking much further afield which is a shame but this area is way over where it should be.

HOLA4413

On the subject of Kingston station, what is being built just opposite? Surely not more flats in that location (ie, right on the one-way)...

For anyone interested, the purpose of this development has now been revealed by posters on the side of the development as 'Luxury Student Studios'! Nice for 'em - and awfully handy for the big nightclub just opposite. There's even an example now ready for inspection on site.

HOLA4414

For anyone interested, the purpose of this development has now been revealed by posters on the side of the development as 'Luxury Student Studios'! Nice for 'em - and awfully handy for the big nightclub just opposite. There's even an example now ready for inspection on site.

They'll be lovely in the summer :( .

Imagine trying to work for exams in a stuffy room where you can't open the window because of the fumes/racket of 15 buses trundling past every minute.

But maybe 'luxury' means air-conditioned. I wonder what they're going to charge per week? Dread to think.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4415

When we bite the bullet and buy (after the next leg down in the crash!) it will probably be in Kingston so I'm constantly researching and looking for our ideal property. We've always rented in the river roads area - and love being so close to the river however it looks like we would get a bigger and better house (and more choice of style) for our bucks up Kingston Hill.

I expect this means being dependent on a car or walking down that horribly busy road into town/the river.

Are the river roads that much more expensive just because of the schools or is it just because Kingston Hill is further out of town? Any Kingston Hill fans here? I still need to be convinced.

Edited by quine

HOLA4416

Are the river roads that much more expensive just because of the schools or is it just because Kingston Hill is further out of town? Any Kingston Hill fans here? I still need to be convinced.

Are you talking about the river roads by Canbury Gardens or the ones down towards Surbiton?

The Surbiton river roads are my area of interest. They are much more expensive than the surrounding roads because they are within a 5 minute walk of Surbiton station and only 10-15 minutes on the riverside path to Kingston town centre whilst remaining a relatively quiet area to live. Nowhere else in the area has this, but I am not sure it is worth quite such a big difference in price (£700k for a 3 bed semi compared to £450k a short distance away)

I am not so familiar with the Canbury river roads, but I expect it is similar - walking distance to Kingston, Canbury and Richmond parks etc.

Kingston Hill is cheaper because it is a hell of a walk into the town centre. For a lot of people, there is no point in living near a big town like Kingston unless you can walk to it. In this case, it is often better to move a lot further out and get something cheaper.

HOLA4417

Are you talking about the river roads by Canbury Gardens or the ones down towards Surbiton?

The Surbiton river roads are my area of interest. They are much more expensive than the surrounding roads because they are within a 5 minute walk of Surbiton station and only 10-15 minutes on the riverside path to Kingston town centre whilst remaining a relatively quiet area to live. Nowhere else in the area has this, but I am not sure it is worth quite such a big difference in price (£700k for a 3 bed semi compared to £450k a short distance away)

I am not so familiar with the Canbury river roads, but I expect it is similar - walking distance to Kingston, Canbury and Richmond parks etc.

Kingston Hill is cheaper because it is a hell of a walk into the town centre. For a lot of people, there is no point in living near a big town like Kingston unless you can walk to it. In this case, it is often better to move a lot further out and get something cheaper.

Worried1

It is the river roads by Canbury Park that I'm referring to. We've also looked at Surbiton river roads - there seem to be a bigger variety of types of houses there and they are *less expensive (well you get more for your money) than the Kingston river roads but again that busy main road along the river is so offputting (to me).

* feels inappropriate writing that when they are all so bloody expensive and overpriced.

Anyway I'll keep on looking at KOT, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Ham on Rightmove while I wait to see what's going to happen after the election. Are there any other areas Surbiton way that I should be looking at (river, greenery, train station) that I don't know about ?! I know the area westwards but not so hot on eastside.

HOLA4418

Worried1

It is the river roads by Canbury Park that I'm referring to. We've also looked at Surbiton river roads - there seem to be a bigger variety of types of houses there and they are *less expensive (well you get more for your money) than the Kingston river roads but again that busy main road along the river is so offputting (to me).

* feels inappropriate writing that when they are all so bloody expensive and overpriced.

Anyway I'll keep on looking at KOT, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Ham on Rightmove while I wait to see what's going to happen after the election. Are there any other areas Surbiton way that I should be looking at (river, greenery, train station) that I don't know about ?! I know the area westwards but not so hot on eastside.

That is interesting. I had not realised that the Kingston river roads were even more expensive.

There are actually not that many different options on the Surbiton river roads. There is one road of 20s/30s 3 bed semis (The Mall) which seem to sell for £650k+. There are a couple of streets of small Victorian terraced cottages (£400-£500k). The rest of the roads are large Victorian villas which have either generally been converted to flats or knocked down to make way for flats. There are probably about 15-20 larger Victorian houses that remain on all of the river roads, and these would probably vary from £800k to £2m, but I never really see any of them come onto the market.

You are right to be concerned about the Portsmouth Road running along by the river. It is a very noisy road, but the noise really dies down when you get a little way down the river roads themselves. The middle of each of the roads is ideal, because they are sandwiched between Portsmouth Road and Maple Road. Maple Road is less busy, but I wouldn't want to live right on it. The middle of the river roads is pretty much as quiet as anywhere I have experienced in the Kingston area.

I have lived in Kingston/Surbiton for years, and I find the Surbiton river roads to be the best part of the area for my own needs, but as I mentioned earlier I don't know if it is worth the massive premium over the surrounds.

Other areas that may be worthy of consideration in Surbiton:

Cranes Park - This is the part of Surbiton that joins Kingston, and there are some lovely, large Victorian houses on Cranes Park itself, and some more modern houses on the surrounding roads. Under 15 minutes walk to both Kingston and Surbiton centres from here and quite green. You get a lot more for your money than on the river roads. It may also be worth looking at Knights Park across the border into Kingston.

Long Ditton/ Hinchley Wood borders - Quite a nice area on the other side of Surbiton. Still only a 15 minute walk from Surbiton station, but 30 minutes into Kingston town centre. This is cheaper again, and quite a bit greener.

Berrylands - This would not suit everyone due to it's 'ultra-suburban' character, but the nicer roads are still within a 15 minute walk of Surbiton station, and even closer to Berrylands station itself (zone 5). The type of houses that sell for £650k in the river roads are more like £400-£450k here, so a significant difference.

I wouldn't go too close to the Tolworth border.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419

When we bite the bullet and buy (after the next leg down in the crash!) it will probably be in Kingston so I'm constantly researching and looking for our ideal property. We've always rented in the river roads area - and love being so close to the river however it looks like we would get a bigger and better house (and more choice of style) for our bucks up Kingston Hill.

I expect this means being dependent on a car or walking down that horribly busy road into town/the river.

Happy New Year, all!

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

We live just off K Hill, a couple of mins' walk from R Park. It'd take me perhaps 25 minutes to walk right into Kingston so I hardly ever do - either a couple of mins in the car or (increasingly) jump on a bus. The 85 is very frequent nowadays and I use it far more than I used to. (Which was not at all, now I come to think of it.)

I like our location, but then we are a fair way back from the main road - I certainly wouldn't like living close to the traffic. Mind you K Hill is not quite as busy as many people think. So much goes down the bypass and I don't know when I've had to wait more than a few seconds to cross the road.

The river roads are lovely - I'd certainly enjoy being close to the river, but then it's nice being so close to R Park too. When we want to walk along the river (often) we usually take the car through the park to Ham Gate and leave it by Ham House (no charge for parking there.) We used to park a lot in Water Lane and go up past Canbury Gdns but the sodding moneygrubbing council have now started charging there in the evenings as well as in the daytime. We hadn't realised and got caught for in the summer for £40 or whatever it was. :ph34r:

I'm sure it's the case that the river road houses have the 'good school' factor included in their prices, but the proximity to the river must have something to do with it, too.

From a commuting POV Norbiton station is one zone cheaper than Kingston, and at least it's easy to drop someone off/pick them up there, which is more than you can say for Kingston.

Should add that when we bought the house aeons ago we weren't thinking of schools or much else except having somewhere to call home - were living abroad at the time with one small baby and stayed overseas another ten years. I didn't really know the area at all, but Mr B is from Wimbledon and one factor that certainly influenced him was the park. (He prefers it to Wim Common any day).

HOLA4420

Happy New Year, all!

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

We live just off K Hill, a couple of mins' walk from R Park. It'd take me perhaps 25 minutes to walk right into Kingston so I hardly ever do - either a couple of mins in the car or (increasingly) jump on a bus. The 85 is very frequent nowadays and I use it far more than I used to. (Which was not at all, now I come to think of it.)

I like our location, but then we are a fair way back from the main road - I certainly wouldn't like living close to the traffic. Mind you K Hill is not quite as busy as many people think. So much goes down the bypass and I don't know when I've had to wait more than a few seconds to cross the road.

The river roads are lovely - I'd certainly enjoy being close to the river, but then it's nice being so close to R Park too. When we want to walk along the river (often) we usually take the car through the park to Ham Gate and leave it by Ham House (no charge for parking there.) We used to park a lot in Water Lane and go up past Canbury Gdns but the sodding moneygrubbing council have now started charging there in the evenings as well as in the daytime. We hadn't realised and got caught for in the summer for £40 or whatever it was. :ph34r:

I'm sure it's the case that the river road houses have the 'good school' factor included in their prices, but the proximity to the river must have something to do with it, too.

From a commuting POV Norbiton station is one zone cheaper than Kingston, and at least it's easy to drop someone off/pick them up there, which is more than you can say for Kingston.

Should add that when we bought the house aeons ago we weren't thinking of schools or much else except having somewhere to call home - were living abroad at the time with one small baby and stayed overseas another ten years. I didn't really know the area at all, but Mr B is from Wimbledon and one factor that certainly influenced him was the park. (He prefers it to Wim Common any day).

Thanks for your input Mrs B. I suppose when push comes to shove it will depend which house wins our hearts, be it up the hill or by the river. Norbiton really doesn't do it for me though. I love the parks - was so surprised when I moved to this part of the country to find just so much greenery.

HOLA4421

That is interesting. I had not realised that the Kingston river roads were even more expensive.

There are actually not that many different options on the Surbiton river roads. There is one road of 20s/30s 3 bed semis (The Mall) which seem to sell for £650k+. There are a couple of streets of small Victorian terraced cottages (£400-£500k). The rest of the roads are large Victorian villas which have either generally been converted to flats or knocked down to make way for flats. There are probably about 15-20 larger Victorian houses that remain on all of the river roads, and these would probably vary from £800k to £2m, but I never really see any of them come onto the market.

You are right to be concerned about the Portsmouth Road running along by the river. It is a very noisy road, but the noise really dies down when you get a little way down the river roads themselves. The middle of each of the roads is ideal, because they are sandwiched between Portsmouth Road and Maple Road. Maple Road is less busy, but I wouldn't want to live right on it. The middle of the river roads is pretty much as quiet as anywhere I have experienced in the Kingston area.

I have lived in Kingston/Surbiton for years, and I find the Surbiton river roads to be the best part of the area for my own needs, but as I mentioned earlier I don't know if it is worth the massive premium over the surrounds.

Other areas that may be worthy of consideration in Surbiton:

Cranes Park - This is the part of Surbiton that joins Kingston, and there are some lovely, large Victorian houses on Cranes Park itself, and some more modern houses on the surrounding roads. Under 15 minutes walk to both Kingston and Surbiton centres from here and quite green. You get a lot more for your money than on the river roads. It may also be worth looking at Knights Park across the border into Kingston.

Long Ditton/ Hinchley Wood borders - Quite a nice area on the other side of Surbiton. Still only a 15 minute walk from Surbiton station, but 30 minutes into Kingston town centre. This is cheaper again, and quite a bit greener.

Berrylands - This would not suit everyone due to it's 'ultra-suburban' character, but the nicer roads are still within a 15 minute walk of Surbiton station, and even closer to Berrylands station itself (zone 5). The type of houses that sell for £650k in the river roads are more like £400-£450k here, so a significant difference.

I wouldn't go too close to the Tolworth border.

Thanks W1. I'll have a look at some of the suggestions you have made. I hadn't even heard of Hinchley Woods.

HOLA4422

Thanks W1. I'll have a look at some of the suggestions you have made. I hadn't even heard of Hinchley Woods.

I will be interested to hear what you think. Hinchley Wood is quite close to Esher, and takes on a bit more of the provinicial feel of that place rather than the suburban London character of Kingston/Surbiton. Nice, though, if a little quiet for some people. It certainly gives more options for family homes than the best part of Kingston/Surbiton.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4423

Thanks for your input Mrs B. I suppose when push comes to shove it will depend which house wins our hearts, be it up the hill or by the river. Norbiton really doesn't do it for me though. I love the parks - was so surprised when I moved to this part of the country to find just so much greenery.

I live in north Kingston – my road has Richmond Park at one end of it, Canbury Gardens and the river at the other end. The station is ten minutes away, as are all the shopping facilities, cinema, theatre and other amenities. My GP is on my road, dentist is just off it (both excellent), and there's a major hospital nearby (in walking distance, not that I've ever had to go there, yet). In other words, everything is on your doorsteps. In addition, there are great walking and cycling facilities, and Richmond is very close by (ten minutes by 65 bus, which runs very frequently and all night). I love this area. It's better than anywhere I've lived in London (quite a few places, including Islington, Holland Park, Clapham, etc). I also feel completely safe here if I come back from somewhere late at night – unlike in other parts of London.

Someone mentioned Kingston Hill here. I have a friend who lives off the hill. It's certainly not within walking distance of anywhere useful. In addition, in the streets around where she is, the houses are enormous and imposing – but mostly gated and unfriendly looking. There's certainly no sense of community there. (There may be other bits of the hill that are not like that, but I have not seen them.)

Edited by amethyst

HOLA4424

Have read all your posts with interest. Have moved back to Kingston and am looking to buy in the area in the future hopefully during a second leg down. Live in North Kingston close to the R park.

In my opinion Mrs Bear you live in the nicest part of Kingston. If you're looking for the best areas & houses, in my opinion it is either Kingston Hill or the couple of roads close to Ham entrance to R park. Canbury is okay, but a bit busy.

Kingston Hill has so many properties hidden away from view by a mask of greenery that you would never know it is there, especially Warren Drive and surrounding roads on both sides. Also with the park, common and golf course all very close, it provides a bit more of rural feel while still remaining in close proximity to services. Unfortunately, they are all priced accordingly.

Worried1 can see what you mean about being able to walk to Kingston or Surbiton relatively quickly from areas around Uxbridge road, but I find the area like Canbury a little too busy and roads like Portsmouth always seemed to be bunged up.

Would really like to see a return to some affordability in the area as I feel it bridges the gap between countryside & access to London quite well, with good schools etc. Just a shame about the main train line.

HOLA4425

Worried1 can see what you mean about being able to walk to Kingston or Surbiton relatively quickly from areas around Uxbridge road, but I find the area like Canbury a little too busy and roads like Portsmouth always seemed to be bunged up.

Would really like to see a return to some affordability in the area as I feel it bridges the gap between countryside & access to London quite well, with good schools etc. Just a shame about the main train line.

I'd agree with that, but I think it depends on what your prorities are. I'd love to live closer to Richmond Park, but I need to be close to the main trainline for the daily commute, so Kingston Hill and Ham are out for me. :(

Uxbridge Road itself is busy as they made it one way a couple of years ago and it has become a rat run from the Maple Road junction down to Portsmouth Road. The other roads running off the river (Catherine, Grove etc) carry much less traffic, and you lose the road noise from Portsmouth Road almost completely once you get halfway down them. These roads effectively have Surbiton station at one end and the river at the other.

You are definitely right about the area bridging the gap between access to countryside and London very well. I have lived here for years, and I have still not found anywhere else that offers this combination as well for the same price. The only thing that worries me is that the area seems relatively well-priced compared to those surrounding it. The same house that would cost you £650k in the Surbiton river roads or Canbury area is more like £900k in a good part of Wimbledon and £1m in a good part of Richmond. Kingston will never have the same cachet as these places, but people who are looking for better value may move here with large cash sums from houses sold closer into London, making it harder still for locals to buy.