House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441
22 hours ago, longgone said:

It's an awful location. Right on the main road with constant traffic noise/jams, but too far to walk to Esher or Surbiton stations, so you'd have to go to Thames Ditton and either change at Surbiton or sit on the slow one.

It is really handy if you like to spend your weekends looking around car dealerships or self-storage facilities, though.

I'd definitely not want to live there, but I bet someone will still offer near £1m for this. If the developer rejects that, I can see it staying on the market a very long time. Awful.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 hours ago, worried1 said:

It's an awful location. Right on the main road with constant traffic noise/jams, but too far to walk to Esher or Surbiton stations, so you'd have to go to Thames Ditton and either change at Surbiton or sit on the slow one.

It is really handy if you like to spend your weekends looking around car dealerships or self-storage facilities, though.

I'd definitely not want to live there, but I bet someone will still offer near £1m for this. If the developer rejects that, I can see it staying on the market a very long time. Awful.

it was supposed to be flats originally  which was what was there before. god knows why they changed the plan, as there is more risk trying to shift 4 units.  the asking price is ridiculous 

HOLA443
9 hours ago, worried1 said:

That is absurd. Anyone spending that much money on a house can surely find a nicer place. Sure, there is a lot of floor area and you get a "ready to live in place" but otherwise it is awful.

HOLA444

Am new to this thread but have been lurking for a while. Very interesting for me as I was born and raised in SW London and have lived in Kingston for almost 10 years now. Also interesting to see how popular and long running this thread is versus the ones for other parts of London.

Anyway, this is crazy, right? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/57045018

Flicking through the first few pictures I expected a double fronted or large detached house. Maybe something on Latchmere or Liverpool Rd for that money. I  can see that they've extended the hell out of it, but £1.3m?! I guess it's the classic Foxtons' mark up? 

HOLA445
On 09/10/2018 at 15:40, KT2new said:

Am new to this thread but have been lurking for a while. Very interesting for me as I was born and raised in SW London and have lived in Kingston for almost 10 years now. Also interesting to see how popular and long running this thread is versus the ones for other parts of London.

Flicking through the first few pictures I expected a double fronted or large detached house. Maybe something on Latchmere or Liverpool Rd for that money. I  can see that they've extended the hell out of it, but £1.3m?! I guess it's the classic Foxtons' mark up? 

Absolutely mad price.

Then again, I keep coming back to this "under offer" property here.

HOLA446
HOLA447
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:40, KT2new said:

I have been on this thread for years. It is really interesting to see what was considered crazy in 2013 actually seems like a very reasonable price now!

That is the problem with HPC. I believe that we are definitely 'right', in that prices have been far too high for a very long time, but if I hadn't heeded the advice and bought a house in 2013 and sold it in 2017, I'd have made a lot of money for doing nothing at all!

The local thread is one of the most interesting to me because prices are so variable between different areas. A small terraced house for £500k would look good value in most of Kingston, a complete steal in Richmond, but far too expensive in most places outside of the M25.

That house you linked to is definitely a crazy price in my opinion. I notice that Foxtons have put a lot of interior photos before the shot of the outside of the house, presumably thinking they are tricking potential buyers into thinking that this is a much grander house as opposed to an extended workers cottage.

The trouble is that Foxtons (and others) tend to value on sqft rather than house type. That can't be right - I'd much rather have a 1,200sqft detached house with room to extend sensibly in the future than something like this. The problem is compounded by the fact that the Foxtons view of what each sqft is worth is very high as well.

HOLA448
On 11/10/2018 at 09:44, worried1 said:

I have been on this thread for years. It is really interesting to see what was considered crazy in 2013 actually seems like a very reasonable price now!

That is the problem with HPC. I believe that we are definitely 'right', in that prices have been far too high for a very long time, but if I hadn't heeded the advice and bought a house in 2013 and sold it in 2017, I'd have made a lot of money for doing nothing at all!

The local thread is one of the most interesting to me because prices are so variable between different areas. A small terraced house for £500k would look good value in most of Kingston, a complete steal in Richmond, but far too expensive in most places outside of the M25.

That house you linked to is definitely a crazy price in my opinion. I notice that Foxtons have put a lot of interior photos before the shot of the outside of the house, presumably thinking they are tricking potential buyers into thinking that this is a much grander house as opposed to an extended workers cottage.

The trouble is that Foxtons (and others) tend to value on sqft rather than house type. That can't be right - I'd much rather have a 1,200sqft detached house with room to extend sensibly in the future than something like this. The problem is compounded by the fact that the Foxtons view of what each sqft is worth is very high as well.

will we ever see pre HTB pices though.  

even with cheap rates i cannot see how someone can pay the prices being asked. even if they halved they are still ridiculous. 

HOLA449
6 hours ago, longgone said:

will we ever see pre HTB pices though.  

even with cheap rates i cannot see how someone can pay the prices being asked. even if they halved they are still ridiculous. 

If ALL support was removed then prices would have to go down, I guess. Whether we would ever see them go that low is debatable. I think not because the biggest housing bubble of all time has engulfed a whole generation who now believe houses prices only ever go up. Even a sharp crash probably wouldn't put a lot of them off - they'd just buy in expecting the market to start going up again next year.

I don't think that the support will be removed anyway. If rates do go up meaningfully, we'll see more schemes like HTB and increasingly ridiculous fractional ownership.

The developers wield a lot of power, just look at their shameless claims that HTB has been a great help to buyers and the economy, when it is totally obvious to all concerned that they themselves are the only real beneficiaries. 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, worried1 said:

If ALL support was removed then prices would have to go down, I guess. Whether we would ever see them go that low is debatable. I think not because the biggest housing bubble of all time has engulfed a whole generation who now believe houses prices only ever go up. Even a sharp crash probably wouldn't put a lot of them off - they'd just buy in expecting the market to start going up again next year.

I don't think that the support will be removed anyway. If rates do go up meaningfully, we'll see more schemes like HTB and increasingly ridiculous fractional ownership.

The developers wield a lot of power, just look at their shameless claims that HTB has been a great help to buyers and the economy, when it is totally obvious to all concerned that they themselves are the only real beneficiaries. 

The problem is global in nature, so talking about the UK removing props such as HTB might make a small dent but if people aren't prepared to look into the reasons the problem is global, then we'll continually be blaming the wrong things.

HOLA4411
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:46, naturals said:

Absolutely, it's like a war zone around there right now. 

Still, anything down on 2016 prices, with a refurb thrown in, shows the state of the local market atm.

I'd be surprised if they get anything like that. It's right next to the troublesome Cambridge Estate, which was probably priced into the original £369k, but the eatate is going to be torn down at some point.

That will be years of upheaval during the demolition/construction and although the new estate will undoubtedly look better, it is going to be twice as big, which I'd expect to mean twice as much trouble on your doorstep.

Edited by worried1

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, worried1 said:

I'd be surprised if they get anything like that. It's right next to the troublesome Cambridge Estate, which was probably priced into the original £369k, but the eatate is going to be torn down at some point.

That will be years of upheaval during the demoliation/construction and although the new estate will undoubtedly look better, it is going to be twice as big, which I'd expect to mean twice as much trouble on your doorstep.

two people knifed to death in less than a year around that area. 

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

This is a good example of how not to market a house. It went on a month or so ago with one agent. It has now been removed and relisted by FOUR separate agents the week before Christmas:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-77312879.html

I get the feeling that they have missed the boat with selling this anyway. It wasn't that long ago that £1m+ 3 bed semis on the river roads would fly off the market. There have now been several of time sitting on the market for months, and all of the others have less work to do than this one.

HOLA4420
11 hours ago, worried1 said:

This is a good example of how not to market a house. It went on a month or so ago with one agent. It has now been removed and relisted by FOUR separate agents the week before Christmas:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-77312879.html

I get the feeling that they have missed the boat with selling this anyway. It wasn't that long ago that £1m+ 3 bed semis on the river roads would fly off the market. There have now been several of time sitting on the market for months, and all of the others have less work to do than this one.

Probably 700 or 800 soon although they still don't look like that kind of money to me

HOLA4421
14 hours ago, longgone said:

Probably 700 or 800 soon although they still don't look like that kind of money to me

I'd like to see examples like that where a lot of work is required down at about £600k, £750k once they are refurbished to a good standard and a bit more if extended properly.

I agree that the houses themselves are uninspiring, but the location is good and if you want to live in a reasonably-sized house there, these are about the only options.

At the moment, this type of house can be over £800k even if it is on the A3:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59043342.html

I wouldn't live in that location if you paid me to do so, so it is hard for me to put a real value on it. Perhaps £350-£400k for those who really don't mind road noise, pollution and lack of facilities?

HOLA4422
11 minutes ago, worried1 said:

I'd like to see examples like that where a lot of work is required down at about £600k, £750k once they are refurbished to a good standard and a bit more if extended properly.

I agree that the houses themselves are uninspiring, but the location is good and if you want to live in a reasonably-sized house there, these are about the only options.

At the moment, this type of house can be over £800k even if it is on the A3:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59043342.html

I wouldn't live in that location if you paid me to do so, so it is hard for me to put a real value on it. Perhaps £350-£400k for those who really don't mind road noise, pollution and lack of facilities?

They are river roads but what use is the river really. you can`t even see it.

the tolworth one would struggle at half price you have a foxtons premium on that.    

slightly further out 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69017563.html

HOLA4423
31 minutes ago, longgone said:

They are river roads but what use is the river really. you can`t even see it.

the tolworth one would struggle at half price you have a foxtons premium on that.    

slightly further out 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69017563.html

I think the appeal of the river roads is in the proximity to the station, town centre, Maple Road & Kingston whilst generally being quite quiet. The river is only a small part of that.

The Mall is a bit different from the rest of those roads because it is 1920's housing rather than Victorian and it is the cut-through used by black cabs from Surbiton station.

The advantage that it has is that the houses are bigger, and could be extended to 2000 sqft. On the other roads they are either small Victorian terraces or large houses that are converted to flats or millions of pounds. The housing is boring in style, but at least it is consistent rather than the other roads which are a mish-mash of styles.

I see the premium, but the market is so distorted it isn't really clear what it should be.

On top of everything else I hate about the Tolworth house, it seems very strange that they have made it ultra-modern inside, but left the cheap, mock leaded-light windows in place. They have nothing to do with the style of the original house and don't match the new look at all. They should have ripped them out and put triple glazing in to make the traffic noise a little more bearable.

The Thames Ditton one is much better, but still requires a lot spent on it, and might be a bit too far out for some.

HOLA4424
30 minutes ago, worried1 said:

I think the appeal of the river roads is in the proximity to the station, town centre, Maple Road & Kingston whilst generally being quite quiet. The river is only a small part of that.

The Mall is a bit different from the rest of those roads because it is 1920's housing rather than Victorian and it is the cut-through used by black cabs from Surbiton station.

The advantage that it has is that the houses are bigger, and could be extended to 2000 sqft. On the other roads they are either small Victorian terraces or large houses that are converted to flats or millions of pounds. The housing is boring in style, but at least it is consistent rather than the other roads which are a mish-mash of styles.

I see the premium, but the market is so distorted it isn't really clear what it should be.

On top of everything else I hate about the Tolworth house, it seems very strange that they have made it ultra-modern inside, but left the cheap, mock leaded-light windows in place. They have nothing to do with the style of the original house and don't match the new look at all. They should have ripped them out and put triple glazing in to make the traffic noise a little more bearable.

The Thames Ditton one is much better, but still requires a lot spent on it, and might be a bit too far out for some.

so station proximity again.  trouble is surbiton agents are well out of whack with reality. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67703863.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69125608.html

• 1 month later...
HOLA4425