House Price Crash Forum

Economy Showing First Signs Of Improvement

Link will follow later if I can be arzed

I haven't read story, only seen headline.

likely phrases used

----------------------

phrase / odds

Green shoots 2-1

Upturn 2-1

Welcome relief 2-1

Turned the corner 2-1

Snapping up property bargains 3-1

Buy To Let revival 3-1

Increased activity 3-1

Return of buyers 3-1

Frenzied auction 3-1

Slump may be short-lived 3-1

A historical blip 4-1

Oversold 5-1

Buying spree 5-1

Lending again 5-1

Scotland leading the way 6-1

No longer sitting on their hands 6-1

Sold 3 properties last weekend alone 6-1

yawn

Apparently Rightmove is +1.2% MoM - asking prices, but still rather puzzling!

Meh. The last crash wasn't exactly "straight line all the way down". You'll get small variations simply from the type of housing stock added in any given month.

Figures to be released on Monday are likely to show that the average asking price for new properties increased by 1.2 per cent last month, up by £2,879 to a new record of £242,500.

The figures from Rightmove indicate that, nationally, the market is defying pessimistic forecasts.

RM +1.2 ?? Bizarre - is anybody out there seeing this - Anyone.... we will see on monday i guess

From the article:

ONE estate agent is so confident the housing market will bounce back he has offered to refund buyers if their home falls in value.

Russell Quirke, above, has promised to make up the difference for anyone who buys a house through him but finds the value has dropped when they come to sell in five years.

Mr Quirke, who helps to run the branch of estate agents Quirke Deakin in Thurrock, Essex, said: “We are confident that prices will not dip significantly.

“My family has been in this business since 1957 and in my experience prices have never gone down and stayed down.”

Property experts believe Mr Quirke’s confident predictions could be borne out, since the South-east is likely to escape any significant housing crash.

I think dear old Russell might well be selling dodgy watches "Delboy style" in five years time.

I heard that the McCanns went to Diana's grave at Althorp and despite nearly being stabbed by youths on the way and bankrupting themselves with the extortionate train fares (this being rip-off Britain) they saw some green shoots. Katie remarked how lovely they were, to which her husband answered: "Yes".

From the article:

ONE estate agent is so confident the housing market will bounce back he has offered to refund buyers if their home falls in value.

Russell Quirke, above, has promised to make up the difference for anyone who buys a house through him but finds the value has dropped when they come to sell in five years.

Mr Quirke, who helps to run the branch of estate agents Quirke Deakin in Thurrock, Essex, said: “We are confident that prices will not dip significantly.

“My family has been in this business since 1957 and in my experience prices have never gone down and stayed down.”

Property experts believe Mr Quirke’s confident predictions could be borne out, since the South-east is likely to escape any significant housing crash.

And if that were to happen, where would he find the cash to refund you? The "guarantee" is worth FA to you if you can't satisfy yourself that he could, and that you would be able to enforce it.

Complete and utter loud mouthed tripe.

Oooh ooh, so expert they are that their very names would turn our brains to paste. Fear them, they who shalt not be named!

Guest The_Oldie
From the article:

I think dear old Russell might well be selling dodgy watches "Delboy style" in five years time.

People make some daft promises if their back's to the wall.

Edit: Looks like they've recently set up some new limited companies

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...IN-LIMITED.html

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...29-LIMITED.html

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...AST%29-LTD.html

People make some daft promises if their back's to the wall.

Edit: Looks like they've recently set up some new limited companies

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...IN-LIMITED.html

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...29-LIMITED.html

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-repor...AST%29-LTD.html

Nice find...

Looks like they're getting the lifeboats ready!

All going to plan so far with the intervention in the markets (DOW). They are a leading sentiment driver, especially in the US where they worked so hard to put a false bottom in at 12,000 on the DOW. As the markets were pushed higher so the gloom has lifted and potentially they are getting to a position now where the market will rise on their own through the power of survivors euphoria.

It just show how important it has been to look after them and it is a relatively cheap way when you look at the costs if the markets were to fail at this time. Should confidence be created to the extent where people believe it is safe to start lending again it moves us out of the very dangerous stage we were in in March, but will be far from going back to where it was. None of the core problems have been solved and if you believe many of the post on here this crisis has many potential disasters on the horizon. The thing is if they can prevent the snow balling effect of these various dynamics that will kick in on the way down then the problem will be significantly improved, but far from cosy. If the US can put the breaks on the housing market slide (not sure how without simply manipulated the figures and using the media to drive people back in the market) then a lot of these nasty dynamics can be avoided.

I have been amazed at the control they have maintained so far and given the plans put into place with the handouts (cash to consumers and tax breaks to the businesses) the potential GDP improvements (or at the minimum an injection of cash into the banks) in time for the election you can see the propaganda machine proclaiming disaster over by Christmas. In the debt based economy we now operate in sentiment is everything and this might just prevent the disaster many have been discussing on here. My view is this will just delay it and it might even be too optimistic to expect them to even make it to the election before the markets tank.

You can expect a lot more headlines along these lines in the coming weeks. The media pulled it off in 2004/2005,

with a constant barrage of negative headlines, week in week out for months. The BoE caved in and cut rates

only to find within a few months the banks with their mortgage lending plummeting, the retailers with their retail

sales worst for 20 years, had all lied to them as at the end of 2005. It turned out mortgage lending had broken

all records along with retail sales. Merv fell for the bullsh**. But I fear not this time.

Last week's quarterly inflation report by the BoE called a halt to all the bear articles of the last few months.

Mervyn King made it quite clear interest rates would now be on hold for the next two years and if inflation stays

high interest rates will more than likely rise. So as of this week, expect a steady stream of the worst is behind

us coming from the media and now may be a good time for first time buyers to buy.

Get ready for a sudden change of sentiment from the media as Merv just called an end to their bullsh** by

stating interest rates are not coming down anytime soon.

From the article:

Well an estate agents' promise is as good as his word. That is why they are so well liked and trusted. Basically if prices drop he will liquidate the company and start a new one up thus dropping his obligation.