House Price Crash Forum

Anti-english Attacks Kick-off In Pembrokeshire And Powys, Wales

HOLA441
We're all British, for goodness' sake! All this nationalism will end in tears for everyone - just look at what happened in Northern Ireland or Yugoslavia.

Regional autonomy, or devolution, is fine, but whether we're English, Scottish, Welsh or Cornish, we're primarily British.

Wasn't British nationalism largely to blame for the sad state of affairs in the north of Ireland?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
...actually closer to 80%. i.e. the attempt to stamp out Welsh is not doing as well as you think.

anyway the problem is wider as we all know. lots of young people can't afford to live where they were brought up. I'm from semi-rural Wales and my wife is from a coastal resort in Devon and both our childhood villages are waaay beyond our means.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a signature yet

On the other hand. are there any JOBS in the villages where you were brought up? Deserted villages (as in a lot of France before the Brits & Dutch started buying) are no improvement!

HOLA446

My parents bought a "holiday home" in mid-Wales in 96 I think. About 3 months later my mother started living there full-time. When they decided to make it permanent they sold the cottage to a local couple for a FAR LOWER price than they could've got selling to a londoner (for example!) - but wanted to integrate properly in the community. The house they're living in now is WAAAAY over-valued/priced and totally beyond the means of any local people - on the plus side - it was a new build (3 years ago?) so my parents have only screwed over themselves in this instance. ;)

I think they just about get away with settling in as mum was brought up in Cardiff & dad is a Scot...

HOLA447
Welsh Girls are fantastic. Loads of talent and no morals (does that infringe RB's code?).

Up Ystrad Mynach!!!!

:lol: I remember the daily lunchtime pilgrimage from Pengam (site of Lewis Boys' school) to Ystrad Mynach (site of Lewis Girls' School). Those were the days

HOLA448

its the same pattern. welsh and scottish anti english, but no anti scottish or anti welsh feelings from the english.

ive have never heard an englishman complain about sending anything, goods or services to either region.

less whining, more reality i say. such an easy scapegoat.

seems, the nicer the mountains - the more anti english people get.

i bet the nepalese hate us.

HOLA449
And quick look through social networking site MySpace reveals a Meibion Glyndr page with friends including the "Free Wales Army" and "Welsh Nationalists". It has been viewed by more than 1,500 people.

In that case it'll be much easier to catch them this time. I find it amazing how many people seem to think that just because they post on a website or forum anonymously, that the authorites can't trace them if they need to.

That having said, a political decision will probably be made not to catch them...

HOLA4410
I think it would be a far more effective campaign if they wrote the slogans in English... The first rule of war, know your enemy. In this case the English, as a whole, can't speak or read a bleeding word of Welsh. I amost crashed the car once trying to work out what "ARAF" meant, it was spelt in big white letters right across the middle of the road. :blink:

You'd be amazed at how many welsh don't understand them either.

!Smirks and runs for Offa's Dyke!

HOLA4411
its the same pattern. welsh and scottish anti english, but no anti scottish or anti welsh feelings from the english.

ive have never heard an englishman complain about sending anything, goods or services to either region.

Nepalese love us. We let them join our army and then after service will let them live here.

Strangely the same doesn't seem to work with the Scottish.

!Smirks and runs for Hadrians wall!

trust me as soon as Scotland gets independance they will start on someone else for there problems.

Either the EU for not letting them in, THe French for blocking there accesssion or Glasgow for eating up all the spare cash.

HOLA4412

You're joking right? Apart from the ever so funny labels (Jocks, sweaties, porridge wogs etc), any time the Scottish / English thing is raised, the first thing to be mentioned is invariably that England is "subsidising" Scotland. (The second is usually Gordon Brown - don't say we don't give you anything in return for all your hard earned taxes).

HOLA4413

Strange this has started happening in areas that aren't that Welsh culturally (Narberth, Newtown). When I was a nipper, I remember being in St Davids, Pembrokeshire, which I always though of as pretty Anglo, when there were loads of burnings going on - even remember an English-owned holiday house just North of St Davids that got burned twice in a row. And big anti-English slogans all over the place.

Pembrokeshire seemed to be more of a focus for burnings, in the days of Meibion Glyndwr, than my home patch in the Welsh heartland, in Ceredigion.

I guess that the more Welsh speaking areas have more cultural / social solidity, so people feel less threatened by incomers, whereas places like Narberth and Newtown, etc., feel very English, and there would be people around who would really resent that.

I am noticing more extreme nationalist activity. Indeed, there are rumours of arrests having been carried out in Cardiff recently, connected to the resurgent Welsh Republican movement. Not sure where this will end.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4414
Guest anorthosite

This forum should provide you with all the anti-Scottish comments you could ever want.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
We're all British, for goodness' sake! All this nationalism will end in tears for everyone.

You could go further and say we are all just human, all just 3 cubic feet of bone and blood. Nationalism is just another form of control. A way to convince young men that 'dulce et decorum est pro patria mori'

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I think it would be a far more effective campaign if they wrote the slogans in English... The first rule of war, know your enemy. In this case the English, as a whole, can't speak or read a bleeding word of Welsh. I amost crashed the car once trying to work out what "ARAF" meant, it was spelt in big white letters right across the middle of the road. :blink:

before a bend was it? Ironic, as the "slow" sign was there to stop you crashing :lol:

HOLA4419
Guest Skint Academic
trust me as soon as Scotland gets independance they will start on someone else for there problems.

I reckon the opposite will happen. As soon as Scotland gets independence the Scots will be less defensive, have more pride in themselves and their country and relations between Scotland and England will be better. They will never be any good all the while the Scots are constantly being told that they are worthless subsidy junkies who should accept English rule or flounder. The Scots will be able to work at building their own country rather than knowing in the back of their minds that they are contributing to Westminster and indirectly, contributing to a system that exploits them.

Either the EU for not letting them in, THe French for blocking there accesssion or Glasgow for eating up all the spare cash.

Except that Scotland is already a part of the EU in the same way that Britain is. Independence won't mean Scotland gets chucked out (for better or worse). And remember, smaller countries do better in the EU.

It would be particularly funny if Scotland's independence prompted Wales to do the same, then for Ireland to become unified and then for all the independent countries to create a fair and balanced celtic federal United Kingdom that excluded anglo-saxon England.

You might even find the Cornish leaving England to join the new UK ;)

HOLA4420
I reckon the opposite will happen. As soon as Scotland gets independence the Scots will be less defensive, have more pride in themselves and their country and relations between Scotland and England will be better. They will never be any good all the while the Scots are constantly being told that they are worthless subsidy junkies who should accept English rule or flounder. The Scots will be able to work at building their own country rather than knowing in the back of their minds that they are contributing to Westminster and indirectly, contributing to a system that exploits them.

Except that Scotland is already a part of the EU in the same way that Britain is. Independence won't mean Scotland gets chucked out (for better or worse). And remember, smaller countries do better in the EU.

It would be particularly funny if Scotland's independence prompted Wales to do the same, then for Ireland to become unified and then for all the independent countries to create a fair and balanced celtic federal United Kingdom that excluded anglo-saxon England.

You might even find the Cornish leaving England to join the new UK ;)

Oh dear, the old Celtic bull**** being spouted again. I think you will find that

1) The Celts were not indigenous to the British Isles

2) The percentage of Scottish / Welsh / Irish people with a significant amount of 'Celtic' blood in their veins is tiny. Most are indistinguishable from those of 'Anglo-Saxon' stock.

3) The Celts were very few in number in comparision with the population of the British Isles at the time. They didn't have a great deal of impact on the genetic pool of the British Isles. Probably about the same impact that the British had on the Indian gene pool.

HOLA4421

No you have just tried to invade and conquer Wales throughout the middle ages and suppressed us since 1535 (I think) under English law, so no anti scottish or anti welsh feelings from the english then ;) . We have long memories Grrrr. It pathetic I agree, as a nation we need to adapt to the new world, move on, promote Wales as tourist destination further, and encourage the English to visit our beautiful country so we can take all your money and charge you to visit the castles that you lot built! ;)

Right back in the new millenieum, I have often found that English people who do move to Wales appreciate the place more than the local Welsh. I think you will find that the politicians and the older generations are much more anti-english than us young pups, we are proud of our heritage, our identity and our country, therefore we want to show it off rather than keep it all for ourselves. I see this in Scotland also.

The second home thing is a huge problem but I don;t like the argument being toted as an anti-english agenda. Love the English, just keep those knobber Football hooligans to yourselves and send your rigby team our way for a whippin' anytime! :P

HOLA4422
Oh dear, the old Celtic bull**** being spouted again. I think you will find that

2) The percentage of Scottish / Welsh / Irish people with a significant amount of 'Celtic' blood in their veins is tiny. Most are indistinguishable from those of 'Anglo-Saxon' stock.

3) The Celts were very few in number in comparision with the population of the British Isles at the time. They didn't have a great deal of impact on the genetic pool of the British Isles. Probably about the same impact that the British had on the Indian gene pool.

Celtic refers to a branch of languages historically spoken in the Celtic countries - Breton, Cornish, Manx, Irish, Scots Gaelic. Indeed, I can understand Breton today when I go there on holiday. We also have a great deal else in common as well, in terms of religion, folk-lore, social values (historically speaking!), etc. So no, this isn't nonsense. And there are strong ethnic ties between the Celtic countries as well. How different are the Celts from the Ango-Saxons in genetic terms - there are differences, but does it matter???? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1787 ;)

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4423
Guest anorthosite

Well, apart from doing quite a good job of proving some of young Skinty's points, don't you know this is of no consequence to people in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Cornwall who have decided to feel Celtish?

I guess when entire nations call themselves something, they become that, even if it has a different modern meaning.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I think they mean Meibion Glyndwr (not Glyndr) -

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-...91466-20891198/

Could we see return of cottage-burning group?

May 11 2008 by Tim Lewis, Wales On Sunday

THEY caused havoc across Wales for more than a decade, but only one man was ever convicted of their crimes.

In a campaign of arson lasting for more than 10 years Meibion Glyndr – the “Sons of Glyndr” – targeted the second homes in rural Wales belonging to people living in England.

The last attack was in the mid-1990s but many Welsh speakers continue to have difficulty finding homes in their own communities and the question is being raised – are we seeing a resurgence of Meibion Glyndr?

In April the Pembrokeshire stables of a Cardiff-born husband and wife were vandalised apparently in a case of mistaken identity by people who thought the couple were English.

The sick criminals even targeted one of the horses – slashing its nose.

Elsewhere, police in Mid Wales were called in to investigate more anti-English vandalism, this time on a housing estate in Newtown.

Graffiti slogans exclaiming “Meibion Glyndr”, “Wales 4 the Welsh” and “Welsh homes 4 Welsh people!”, started to appear on the Vaynor housing estate in a campaign stretching over a number of months. And quick look through social networking site MySpace reveals a Meibion Glyndr page with friends including the “Free Wales Army” and “Welsh Nationalists”. It has been viewed by more than 1,500 people.

Last week, again in Pembrokeshire, but this time in Narberth, Meibion Glyndr symbols were sprayed in huge writing onto the walls of the graveyard.

They were accompanied by a big slogan declaring “Troi Nol Saes” meaning “Turn Back English” in white letters.

A nearby car had also had its bonnet ruined with the same logo bearing the initials M and G.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time in Kidwelly that read, cut and paste this sort of tripe, Gruffy Boy? How desperate are you to buy your cottage in Pembrokeshire?

p