House Price Crash Forum

Hot Water Supply And Rights Of Tenant

equitystasher

We have just rented a nice one bedroom flat. The letting agent is approved by trading standards and has handed the property over in a good clean condition with the snags ironed out.

On the first day however we found we have no hot water.I contacted the agent which booked the plumber to repair the boiler. This was Friday morning. Chased it up in the afternoon only to be told that the plumber had a few jobs and was doing them as quick as possible.

Here I two days on and no hot water. I know under the landlord and tenant act 1985 hot water is something that has to be provided my the landlord. Does anyone know what the time scale of grace on this should be and has the letting agent discharged its responsibilities by calling the plumber? To make matters worse the letting agent is not open till tuesday.

We have just rented a nice one bedroom flat. The letting agent is approved by trading standards and has handed the property over in a good clean condition with the snags ironed out.

On the first day however we found we have no hot water.I contacted the agent which booked the plumber to repair the boiler. This was Friday morning. Chased it up in the afternoon only to be told that the plumber had a few jobs and was doing them as quick as possible.

Here I two days on and no hot water. I know under the landlord and tenant act 1985 hot water is something that has to be provided my the landlord. Does anyone know what the time scale of grace on this should be and has the letting agent discharged its responsibilities by calling the plumber? To make matters worse the letting agent is not open till tuesday.

It probably doesn't constitute an emergency, in the way the boiler exploding or total electricity failure does. My understanding is that something like this should be fixed within a week, though without diving through websites I can't quote you chapter and verse.

It's up to the letting agent to chase the plumber, though in practical terms you may get faster service if you do as well!

Edited by cartimandua51

Do you have the name and address of your LL? If so, try calling them at home and see if a solution can be found.

Is there only 1 plumber in your area or is this a plumber that has a special contract with the agent? If so, could it be that the agent has refused to pay weekend fees and the plumber won't come?

Does the agent have an emergency number?

In the past I've had to call out a new plumber and then get my money back.

Do you have the name and address of your LL? If so, try calling them at home and see if a solution can be found.

Is there only 1 plumber in your area or is this a plumber that has a special contract with the agent? If so, could it be that the agent has refused to pay weekend fees and the plumber won't come?

Does the agent have an emergency number?

In the past I've had to call out a new plumber and then get my money back.

I don't have a emergency contact which is my fault for not asking.In my contract it states about the supply of hot water being and landlords responsibility. I take it there must be a grace period but was hoping for less than 1 week!

I don't have a emergency contact which is my fault for not asking.In my contract it states about the supply of hot water being and landlords responsibility. I take it there must be a grace period but was hoping for less than 1 week!

I think the courts (on the occasions when it comes to that) tend to look at what CAN be done. In the case of gas or electrics, the LL CAN'T legally do it himself; he has to use his best endeavours to get a properly qualified tradesman in, and if that tradesman, in the best tradition of the Great British Tradesman, just doesn't turn up, all the LL or LA can do is ring up another one.... and so the long day wears on. It wouldn't be any different if it were your own home!

Hi again,

Sorry to hear about the lack of an emergency number but as yours just moved home (one of the top) stressful things, then you are not too blame.

The agent is supposed to give you the LL details under law.

Have you tried to find another plumber? I'm wondering if this one is dragging his feet as the agent won't pay for bank holiday rates?

• 3 years later...

My boiler stopped working a week ago. I've e-mailed the LA a couple of times but no response. I think they're in breach of Section 604 of the Housing Act 1985 regarding satisfactory supply of hot and cold water. Would it be reasonable to ask for compensation?

For FS. Two days and your asking about compensation.

What would the situation be if it were your own house or apartment. A few winters ago our central heating boiler developed a fault which led to a very slight gas leak. When we smelt gas we immediately turned it off and called the gas board emergency line. they sent an engineer round within a matter of minutes. He gave it a cursory examination, tested for leaks using some sort of sensor and declared it unsafe and not to be used until repaired.

We had to wait three weeks for a gas certified plumber. He arrived tightened a nut where the gas pipe entered a valve. In two minutes the leak was fixed and the boiler operational. These things happen, its life get on with it. Is it the landlords fault? maybe. Did his last tenant tell him or the agent?, doubt it. I rely on my tenants telling me if there is a fault to be attended to. If they don't it's unlikely I will know about it and won't know to take any remedial steps.

Mind you in those three weeks in a particularly cold spell I found out one thing I liked about cold showers - getting out.

For FS. Two days and your asking about compensation.

Try reading the thread FFS!!!

To Will, I'd say that you have made reasonable attempts to get the LA/LL to resolve the problem. Try phoning them and see what they say, if they say they haven't recieved the emails then see if they actually do something about it now-give a couple of days (although if they use email as a business contact the law regards it that you have a reasonable belief that they have recieved the emails). If they still do nothing, email them saying that as they have failed to act you will recieve three quotes for the work and will proceed with the cheapest and deduct the cost from rent. They'll suddenly spring into action.

Edited by zebbedee

Thanks for the advice! I phoned them up: the first person I spoke to gave me another number to phone but did confirm that the e-mail address I'd been using was the right one. The second number was a mobile phone voicemail and the outgoing message gave a different e-mail address. I've left a message and e-mailed the new address, now to see what happens.

Try reading the thread FFS!!!

I've now re-read the thread FFS!!!!. Makes no difference to my opinion. He's only been waiting for a few days, these things happen and with the best will in the world it often takes a few days to sort things out. Not everything can be done instantly. And just to make sure you understand I've read the thread Will has been without hot water for a week. Not the end of the world is it.

Edited by sleepwello'nights

I've now re-read the thread FFS!!!!. Makes no difference to my opinion. He's only been waiting for a few days, these things happen and with the best will in the world it often takes a few days to sort things out. Not everything can be done instantly. And just to make sure you understand I've read the thread Will has been without hot water for a week. Not the end of the world is it.

Methinks the point is, he's frustrated at the lack of any sign of action. If it was his own house he'd've made an effort to get it fixed, and he wants an indication that the agent is doing that.

But yes, the fact he and others expect hot water as a right show how far our housing has come since the 1980s reforms.

As porcia says, I also think its the matter of apparently being ignored, I would hope that if one of your tenents had an issue that you have to deal with and they had emailed to inform you of the problem you would reply letting them know that metters are being dealt with and give an indicative time frame. If you fail to acknowledge them then they are left ignored and by extension with the feeling that the problem is being ignored. I've been there and when a response was not forthcoming did as I advised here, they responded within the hour that the matter would be dealt with after no response for weeks (funny that), kinda suggests that my feeling that the communication was ignored implies the problem was being ignored was correct. It may not be the case here but a courtecy reply would cost them nothing.

I resurrected this thread rather than starting a new one as it summed up my problem quite nicely.

If they still do nothing, email them saying that as they have failed to act you will recieve three quotes for the work and will proceed with the cheapest and deduct the cost from rent. They'll suddenly spring into action.

Well, it worked! No response to my phone message or e-mail to the new address, so yesterday I e-mailed the manager and followed your suggestion above. Replies by phone and e-mail this morning and boiler fixed this afternoon (problem with the control switch on the immersion heater). Apparently the LA did receive my messages but has been trying to get hold of the LL to authorise the work. This might well be true, but all they had to do was acknowledge receipt of my messages.

Thanks to all for your advice!

I resurrected this thread rather than starting a new one as it summed up my problem quite nicely.

Well, it worked! No response to my phone message or e-mail to the new address, so yesterday I e-mailed the manager and followed your suggestion above. Replies by phone and e-mail this morning and boiler fixed this afternoon (problem with the control switch on the immersion heater). Apparently the LA did receive my messages but has been trying to get hold of the LL to authorise the work. This might well be true, but all they had to do was acknowledge receipt of my messages.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Result!