HOLA441
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
FT Thurs front page - no link as yet

(It's reported that the BoE believes all the worst bank/credit crunch news is now known & past, and loss forrecasts were too pessimistic perhaps.)

******! why did blanchflower mention 35% falls then without IR cuts?

HOLA443

Because they've all had a good scare. 100% loans will be a thing of the past for a generation. House prices will correct significantly. Life will go on. Some people will be stuck in negative equity. Slowly general inflation will take away some of the pain and things will get back to 'normal'.

It's almost becoming a 'nothing to see here scenario'. This will now just play out and we'll have falling house prices for a few years.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
so what happens once the uk subprime defaults hit the balance sheets?

They're being drip-fed on to the balance sheets and rights issues will strengthen them.

Here's something a lot of people on here don't seem to get.

When something dramatic happens - like Soros taking the UK Government to the cleaners in 1992 - there is a reason - i.e. someone stands to benefit.

Markets work because of the cumulative actions of individuals.

It is in no-one's interest for banks to fail - so they won't. There is no market force driving their failure.

HOLA4410
They're being drip-fed on to the balance sheets and rights issues will strengthen them.

Here's something a lot of people on here don't seem to get.

When something dramatic happens - like Soros taking the UK Government to the cleaners in 1992 - there is a reason - i.e. someone stands to benefit.

Markets work because of the cumulative actions of individuals.

It is in no-one's interest for banks to fail - so they won't. There is no market force driving their failure.

drip fed? I thought gordon gave them 100 days to declare?

no market force? tell that to Bear Stearns....

Edited by mbga9pgf

HOLA4411

Because there's a power struggle in the engine room of the economy. And it's not like the bull/bear argument here.

The doves like Blanchflower, with journalistic outriders like Hutton, want a drastic Fed style lowering of rates and so are painting the blackest picture they can think of. Many of their supporters, like Brown and the rest of the Labour front bench, can't paint this picture but there are nods and winks.

The hawks like King, with journos such as Liam Halligan and Ruth Lea, want a steady monetary policy and are saying that there is nothing to see here.

David Smith is not in either camp. He's just an idiot.

So whereas a bear on here would expect a crash and want interest rates higher, there are very few people off this site who say this. There are also few equivalents of the "neither bulls" who both see a rosy future and want interest rates cut. Perhaps David Smith, but he should be in special school.

If we understand this then we either get less frustrated or more. I don't really know.

HOLA4412

Tell that to all the hedge funds and banks that shorted each other. :P If any of them had any faith they would have been praying all day for bank failures!

HOLA4413
Because there's a power struggle in the engine room of the economy. And it's not like the bull/bear argument here.

The doves like Blanchflower, with journalistic outriders like Hutton, want a drastic Fed style lowering of rates and so are painting the blackest picture they can think of.

Indeed. and Blanchflower sings the tune given him by ... guess who... the banks that would be the only ones to benefit from rate cuts.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
The BoE didnt see the credit crises coming so how would they know the worst is over?

Exactly.

With another 8%+ growth in debt, the situation is GETTING WORSE, not improving, this massively outstrips the rise in earnings and meanwhile they are fanning inflation which again is roaring ahead way beyond real incomes.

HOLA4418

Complete sh1te. We ONLY just started to see y-o-y falls in the ASSETS (homes) that all those turbo leveraged instruments are built on. Lets see how well the crises is doing when people go into neg equity and default or lose their jobs as our MEW/debt economy goes into a protracted recession.

POW! Right in the kisser.

HOLA4419
Complete sh1te. We ONLY just started to see y-o-y falls in the ASSETS (homes) that all those turbo leveraged instruments are built on. Lets see how well the crises is doing when people go into neg equity and default or lose their jobs as our MEW/debt economy goes into a protracted recession.

POW! Right in the kisser.

I'm not goign to say you're wrong (couldn't agree more) but that MK is talking about the financial / banking system crisis specifically. He's not saying the economy or the property market are fine.

Edited by williamdb

HOLA4420
Maybe the worst really IS over in the financial markets and already priced in - does the FTSE 100 nudge towards 7,000 by the end of the year?

No.

Are you suggesting we will go through the biggest credit bubble in history with only Northern Rock and a 10% FTSE wobble to show for it ??

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I'm not goign to say you're wrong (couldn't agree more) but that MK is talking about the financial / banking system crisis specifically. He's not saying the economy or the property market are fine.

Well l dont see how worsening default rates on mortgages, and absolute losses in the backing assets, both in the US and UK, are going to do anything but worsen the derivatives (MBS's etc) that have been so far responsible for all these big write downs. What about all the tier 3 garbage, is that going to get better anytime soon in these cirumstances?

I think we got a few more banks to go insolvent by all measures before we start talking past the worst..

HOLA4423
FTSE 100 isn't specifically the UK economy though, is it?!. I don't see the DOW crashing yet and they're 18 months in front of us.... ;)

Correct on both counts. The global recession has not yet begun, but is entirely unavoidable.

Footnote, the $ has lost something like 30% of value in last 4 years. Big losses hidden nominally on the Dow and you know it! :P

HOLA4424
Well l dont see how worsening default rates on mortgages, and absolute losses in the backing assets, both in the US and UK, are going to do anything but worsen the derivatives (MBS's etc) that have been so far responsible for all these big write downs. What about all the tier 3 garbage, is that going to get better anytime soon in these cirumstances?

I think we got a few more banks to go insolvent by all measures before we start talking past the worst..

I think 'Let's get it right' sums it up well with the above post in this thread. One thing that I found so striking in the 90s is how 'well' Barclays seemed to be doing while the economy was falling apart (based on anecdotal evidence, Barclays has always been a favourite pet hate of mine so that's why I remember, I wasn't keeping an eye on banks at the time).

HOLA4425