House Price Crash Forum

Does anyone live in South Norwood? How good/bad is it as a place to live?

Is Penge or Anerley better?

What about Catford?

Your comments much appreciated...

No, but know some people who would like to leave. I think it ranks above Catford and Thornton Heath. Personal body armour is not required in daylight during school hours.

No, but know some people who would like to leave. I think it ranks above Catford and Thornton Heath. Personal body armour is not required in daylight during school hours.

Don't give in and think about buying, Ms London! The prices are starting to come down a bit (look at propertyfinder.co.uk), so we could be onto the start of something :D I have seen some '5% deposit paid, this week only' deals in Sydenham EAs.

I can see what you're thinking - looking at the cheapest areas rather than where you were looking before. Penge is okay, if you choose the right bits, Anerley likewise. I'm not keen on Catford owing to the A205 running through the middle - gets really congested and dirty and to be honest. lots of bits of it are grim. But look at nethouseprices and ask yourself if the Norwood bargains really ARE worth it - it annoys me that a 3 bed in penge costs about the same as in Lewisham but is much further out. Hang on in there, all should become clear after June / July. And don't even think about West Norwood - it's a hole.

Does anyone live in South Norwood? How good/bad is it as a place to live?

Is Penge or Anerley better?

What about Catford?

Your comments much appreciated...

Catford? Don't do it! :o Huge plastic cat sticking out of the top of the 'shopping centre' and the south circular meandering through the town centre. Also no pubs outside the town centre itself. Built out by tee-total loonies in the early 20th century, so I was told. I'm biased as I rented there for a while on arrival in London many years ago...

South Norwood has little or no transport and is a way out of town. Penge reputed as 'rough', Anerley better, which now has Tramlink, if Croydon is your kinda place to shop.

Interesting comments from someone else about West Norwood :angry: But the fact that we're dithering about staying or going and that I refer to where I live as 'the hood, innit' probably gives you some idea. However, there's some grand old property around and since we moved here in 2002 it's been skip-central with every disused building rennovated and lots of property done up. One day Lambeth might even sort out the 'town centre'... Transport's OK by no-tube south-London standards and there's lots of greenspace and good facilities at Dulwich / Crystal Palace within walking distance

But then we only ended up here cos we rented out our Streatham flat, which we sold last August :D

Gotta tell you though given what's coming it would make sense to rent for a year or two if you don't need to buy.

In reply to the last poster about poor transport links in South Norwood I have to disagree.

Norwood Junction rail station has regular trains to London Victoria and London Bridge. Also only one stop from East Croydon and all its connecting services. Trains run through the night from central London to East Croydon so nights out in town are also possible.

I recently moved from south Norwood but believe it is also due to be part of a new tube line sometime in the future but you will need to check that one out. A friend mine still living there believes house prices will rocket there because of this.

Its quite a grim area but relatively cheap house prices. If I was going to live there again I would choose the conservation area of Crystal Palace. Lots of big old character buildings, parks and green spaces. Some decent restaurants. Traffic can be a problem in the main part however.

Sorry to offend West Norwood! The bit I always end up going to is the 'centre' near the bus garage, which is pretty unpleasant. But I like Penge (the bit between the main pound shop - actually there's even a 98p shop :blink::blink: area) and Crystal Palace park, so :angry: back at you!!!! :) Seriously though, I am very curious as to why people (apart from EAs) think the Tube will add value. The East London line is very, very slow - makes the Northern line link in to town from Morden / Colliers Wood look speedy.

Sorry to offend West Norwood! The bit I always end up going to is the 'centre' near the bus garage, which is pretty unpleasant. But I like Penge (the bit between the main pound shop - actually there's even a 98p shop  :blink:  :blink: area) and Crystal Palace park, so  :angry: back at you!!!!  :) Seriously though, I am very curious as to why people (apart from EAs) think the Tube will add value. The East London line is very, very slow - makes the Northern line link in to town from Morden / Colliers Wood look speedy.

hmm south norwood..... 10 years ago I recived a totally undeserved good kicking at the railway station - had to jump on a moving train to escape.

I wonder if it is any better these days, or they now use knives rather than fists & boots?

hmm south norwood..... 10 years ago I recived a totally undeserved good kicking at the railway station - had to jump on a moving train to escape.

I wonder if it is any better these days, or they now use knives rather than fists & boots?

I lived in Penge 10 years ago

It was a bit rough, but more importntly getting worse

Was there last year as there is an excellent butchers shop (great food and reallt well priced for BBQ food)

Popped into the Travel shop to pick up a brochure

They NOW have a locked door. Staff had been robbed twice by 'youths' and have to buzz you in (if they think you aren't going to rob them)

sign of the times and IMO a sure sign that things in that area are getting worse

I know that nice lady on the Property Ladder TV show says look for Coffee shops opening up in the area as a sign that it is up and coming. Well I have noticed an increasing number of greasy fried chicken shops opening in South Norwood, not sure what that means!

One plus factor is that there is an excellent Thai restaurant in South Norwood which has won lots of awards.

Penge used to be the home of Ballroom dancing which may be relevant.

Penge branch of the Halifax looks like a DSS office - no furniture or other unsecured things that can be thrown and lots of screens covered in notes about the terrible fate that will befall you if you abuse the staff. But it's the 98p shop that says it all. When the pound shops start undercutting each other, you know you're onto a good thing :P I am not a fussy FTB who won't settle for less I just don't want to have to pay a min of 225k for a 3 bed house there. You can get a similar sized place for 250k in ok parts of Lewisham and that's zone 2/3 rather than miles out. When they get to 175k I might be more likely to bite. It's a Sure Start area, so you can access loads of free activities for your kids.

Penge used to be the home of Ballroom dancing which may be relevant.

LOL,

My family use to teach with peggy spencer and enter all the competions, luckily I have two left feet.

Its hard to say whether each area is good or bad, mostly bad. However there are pockets of really nice areas. They're easy to spot.

If i were you tho' I'd rent as close to Beckenham as you can for the moment

LOL,

My family use to teach with peggy spencer and enter all the competions, luckily I have two left feet.

Its hard to say whether each area is good or bad, mostly bad. However there are pockets of really nice areas. They're easy to spot.

If i were you tho' I'd rent as close to Beckenham as you can for the moment

What's Shortlands like?

• 2 weeks later...
Any particular reason?

I lived in South Norwood for 2 years, a masionnette with garden and 2 beds in really nice condition bought for £62.5k in 1998. Selling last summer for about £150k but similar ones now trying (and failing) to get £163k.

South of Norwood Junction is ok, the roads around Stanger, Balfour, Crowther and the top of Birchanger. Howard Road is also good, but I don't think the prices are sustainable . We sold late 1999 for £83k to buy a 3 bed house in Addiscombe for £112k which we sold last year for £237k (£4k off the top which was a chain buyer who I turned down in the end).

With CPI of 2% how have we got from £62.5k to £150k? We should be at about £80-90k by my reckoning and we got to that in 18 months...

Anyway, north of the station aint great, south is better. Catford has some nicer bits tucked away but we sold up to travel for 6 months and rent in Cambridgeshire while the fun unravels. So far so good....

we sold up to travel for 6 months and rent in Cambridgeshire while the fun unravels. So far so good....

well done - the prices in the Norwoods and Penge are totally unsustainable. Can't see why a 3 bed there (zone 4+) costs the same as one of similar spec in the Brockley-Lewisham area, which is zone 2 edge. Mrs A has been considering Thamesmead as it's 'affordable', ho hum. Told her not to be so daft (flooding) and anyway, they're about to build a superhighway through it (E-London river crossing). Prices in SE London are falling, but it's very, very slow.

Mrs A has been considering Thamesmead as it's 'affordable', ho hum. Told her not to be so daft

Avoid. Thamesmead is a chav-infested sh1thole. Literally.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:5aC6q...+shithole&hl=en

The something more currently under discussion is the Thames tideway tunnel, a new 35km, large-diameter sewer which would follow the course of the Thames from west to east and intercept storm-sewage like that of last August, diverting it downstream to the Crossness treatment works, between Thamesmead and Erith

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/archive/i...hp/t-82560.html

worst place - almost certainly Thamesmead followed by peckham and Dalston