House Price Crash Forum

Drivers Are Warned Of Further Petrol Price Rises In The Pipeline

HOLA441

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3803775.ece

Petrol prices are expected to reach more than £1.12 per litre next month as service stations feel the effects of the latest surge in global crude prices.

Amid fears of widespread fuel shortages before a planned strike at Grangemouth, Scotland’s largest oil refinery, the AA said that the cost of filling a 50-litre petrol tank stood yesterday at £54.44, up £7.82 on a year ago.

There is a six-week time lag between global crude prices, which touched historic highs of nearly $120 per barrel this week, and pump prices.

The average price for a litre of petrol was 108.89p yesterday but Andrew Horstead, of the energy con-sultancy Utilyx, predicts that prices will rise by about 3 per cent to an average £1.12 per litre during May.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I always wonder at the seemingly devastating impact of a governmental increase in fuel tax. It always makes the paper and is a fundamental of the budget. Yet, as the months tick by and the budget is forgotten, the REAL increases creep in, bit by bit.

:ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Brown and Darling couldn't care less about the price of petrol. They know that the people who'll feel the most visible effects are those in rural areas with little public transport, which tend to be Tory heartlands. Labour's core vote is in inner cities where car use is a lot lower, and most of them are too thick to realise that the price of petrol affects the price of other retail goods, too.

Also, have you noticed how the government has said nothing about the Grangemouth strike? This is partly because Unite is Labour's single biggest trade union donor, but the fact that there's no election in Scotland next week might also have something to do with it...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Its got to keep going up to save the planet! Set yourself a budget for fuel, and every time it goes up drive a bit less.

The problem starts and ends with the government. :angry:

Does this mean I have to stop the car a mile from work and walk the rest?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I live right in the country, my road has two houses down it which is also a dead end. The road exits onto a dual carridge way with no footpaths. I have absolutely no choice but to drive, and even if I did want to walk to say the shops. The nearest one is 3 miles away.

And don't even get me started on my route to work, just say a car IS the only way.

These ever increasing petrol prices are really starting to worry me actually, at the moment its manageable. But what happens in 2-3 years time when if they continue at their current rate they will be around 2-2.50 a litre :(

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

What a relief!

After all the bad news and negativity about falling house prices, hard-working car-owners will recive a boost to their confidence with this welcome news that some things like the fuel market are still bouyant!

Well done Gordon & Alistair!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
What a relief!

After all the bad news and negativity about falling house prices, hard-working car-owners will recive a boost to their confidence with this welcome news that some things like the fuel market are still bouyant!

Well done Gordon & Alistair!

I'm going to buy a few extra cans of petrol to sell at a profit to the next generation.

Hooray for NuLabour, supporting racketeering of all kinds since 1997.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I live right in the country, my road has two houses down it which is also a dead end. The road exits onto a dual carridge way with no footpaths. I have absolutely no choice but to drive, and even if I did want to walk to say the shops. The nearest one is 3 miles away.

And don't even get me started on my route to work, just say a car IS the only way.

These ever increasing petrol prices are really starting to worry me actually, at the moment its manageable. But what happens in 2-3 years time when if they continue at their current rate they will be around 2-2.50 a litre :(

It's a real problem in the countryside, especially if you have oil heating too.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425