House Price Crash Forum

Well Done You Teachers!

HOLA441
Guest absolutezero
It's the school administrators/office staff that deserve a pay rise. Quite shocking how low their pay is, yet it is these fantastic ladies (on the whole) that keep the schools running.

Agreed.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Guest pioneer31
* troll remark*

*another troll remark*

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Injin.

· View this post

· Un-ignore Injin

Edited by pioneer31

HOLA443
Average wage for a teacher today? £34,000. More than we pay police constables or nurses.

Take home pay last year: £24,769.10

Increase salary by 2.45% and include the reduction in tax and NI

Take home pay this year: £25,814.00

% increase: 4.22

My ex was/is a College teacher, her pay was about £22K - hardly great to live on!

Take home pay last year: £16,729.10

Increase salary by 2.45% and include the reduction in tax and NI

Take home pay this year: £17,298.80

% increase: 3.41

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Just a few opinions

- At least someone has the balls to stand up to the man for the ever decreasing pay spiral.

- The figure of £34k is the maximum a teacher can reach once threshold is passed. It takes a min of 8 years. The threshold is in place to prevent progress past £31k. Averages will be an awful lot lower.

- Who ever told you that teachers have their student loans repaid? Just try and achieve it! There is a one month period where it USED to be able to be claimed IF you reach every criteria specified. However, proving your application was recieved in that month has resulted in more than a few losses.

- If a parent has to take a day off, then enjoy the time spent with your kids. If you cant afford one day off (paid or otherwise) ENJOY THE RECESSION. PILLOCK!!! The last time teachers went on strike, most families only had had one major earner. We as a population sold our souls for equality - discuss....

- The holidays appear good, but how many of you volunteer to go into work during a shutdown? No kids, no work, why bother?

- If teachers are all so poor, why do all of you believe that your opinions are so valid. Maybe your teachers were not all that bad after all. Or did you all learn the language, cognitive, motor and IT skills required to post your view from performing your private sector role? Possibly some of the failings attributed to your teachers should fall a little closer to home.

- What on earth is wrong with an unpaid day off once every 21 years?

Jealousy can be a terrible thing.

I was a miner, i was a docker, etc....

HOLA447

While it's great that all these strikes are hurting the government, I don't think teachers deserve anymore money. A job with hours from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm with amazing holidays and 20k plus a year...sounds great to me. Not all teachers are great teachers and the ones that are good teachers earn a lot more than 20k....probably closer to 50k.

HOLA448
While it's great that all these strikes are hurting the government, I don't think teachers deserve anymore money. A job with hours from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm with amazing holidays and 20k plus a year...sounds great to me. Not all teachers are great teachers and the ones that are good teachers earn a lot more than 20k....probably closer to 50k.

Don't know many teachers do you dubsie?

HOLA449
Guest pioneer31

"Excuse me sir are you a good teacher"

"No"

"Here's 20k"

"Excuse me sir are you a good teacher"

"Yes"

"Here's 50k"

HOLA4410

20 pages, mostly of crap!

No offence to the OP, I am sure that he did not intend for this to degenerate into a pointless argument between those who have some personal vendetta against teachers (Freud would have plenty to say about this) or are envious of all public-sector workers, and gullible teachers and their friends/family falling prey to the wind-ups, voraciously trying to over-assert how teachers slave for a pittance.

This thread has, as most with any mention of teachers, degenerated into a childish contradiction-type argument filled with very obviously fictitious figures (I'm embarrassed to think that I even bothered to question one of these), wild exaggerations and puerile name-calling.

What could have been an interesting discussion has become spammed up with mindless drivel.

It seems there are very few posters on this thread who have any insight into what this thread should really be about.

And this only reinforces the terrifying fact that NuLab's brainwashing is working on the majority.

King Stromba says it all here:

Divide and conquer. And you cant see it

If the replies in this thread are anything to go by, we dont deserve better than the labour government we have.

Its about time people stopped arguing with each other, and turned their anger on the real cause of all our problems, Gordon Brown and his labour cronies.

And Some other points that speak sense:

Personally I don't see it as a question of whether or not teachers deserve a pay rise, but rather that any worker with clout should use withdrawal of labour to force this government to control inflation. I despise Gordon's sneaky method of promoting inflation for his own ends and then blaming inflation on workers asking for pay rises to keep up with government manufactured inflation. So I don't really care whether its teachers, refinery workers in Scotland, tinkers, tailors, soldiers or sailors who go on strike to achieve wage rises in line with inflation - it's the only way we have to force this government to control inflation.
But this strike is now NOT about getting a decent wage for the job so much as having achieved a decent wage, trying to retain its value vis a vis inflation.

I'm glad they are making life dificult for the government by refusing to accept a real wage cut - i.e. one that doesn't reflect inflation.

It is next to impossible for private sector employees to take such a stand. One of my daughters worked for a DIY chain - they made it next to impossible for unions to operate within the company and at every opportunity fleeced their employees of a fair wage for work done by various underhand means. This is the ugly face of capitalism; in my daughter's case it was driven by a leveraged buyout and directors who were intent on cutting costs at the expense of their employees, by fair means or foul. And the means very pretty foul, I can tell you.

Therefore only public sector workers can take a stand against government instituted inflation. Teachers are responding to the inflation that government has allowed, not causing it. I therefore support their action.

Why wouldn't you think it was a good idea to protect the interests of workers through collective bargaining?

It always surprises me how willing people are to serve the interests of the powerful rather than themselves.

Thank you for trying to make this into a worthwhile thread although by now it is probably too late to salvage it!

Wouldn't it be great if people would wake up and look beyond the ends of their own noses.

The bigger picture is more scary than most realise but gov uk are successfully getting everyone nicely blinkered up and so wrapped up in their own little worlds that they won't try to do anything about it.

Although I must admit that imo this is an excellent point about education in the UK:

Teachers need to step up then. This is what you should be striking over! Teachers should be determining best how to educate and what to teach. Then maybe some here will consider you as true 'Professionals'. Take control.
Edited by FedupTeddiBear

HOLA4411

Let's stop the teacher bashing for a moment and consider the facts.

1. There's good and bad in teaching just like in the private sector. I had some great teachers, and some that were the dregs.

2. Teachers deserve packages that are consistent with the time they work, and with comparable professions.

There seems to be some nonsense here about how many extra-curricular hours are worked by teachers, this is the exception but not the rule. Teachers get VERY generous leave entitlements and mostly work during term times. Prep work sat in the garden during the summer hols is no more work than me reading a technical journal during the evening. If I accounted for the total time spent on work and work related activities then my week is 60-70 hours. Not the 45-50 I claim on my timesheet.

So what are comparable professions - well, anyone with a degree in say engineering or science. If you compare engineers packages with the terms on the website posted earlier it's clear to me that Teachers are adequately remunerated. The range of 22k for a starter to 100k for an inner city head looks reasonable and when you take into account the vacations and pension. In fact, the terms are generous.

I wonder if the truth is more simple. The pigs have taken over the farm - teachers think they are more equal than others because they are looking at absolutes and not relatives. The truth is, Britains are going to get poorer as the BRIC countries standard of living rise and they get more fairly remunerated for providing raw materials and making our goods. The same is happening here in the USA....... So why should the public sector be immune to the new millenia in which youngsters are cheated into paying for boomers who never had it so good and whom are determined to take more out of the system than they put into it.

My guess is nearly two decades of NuLab has ruined any chances of a fair future for youngsters in Britian. They should emigrate and leave the public sector to feed off itself. It will be fun to watch the hogs squeel when they realise they ate their young.

Oink

Edited by bpw

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
A gold star for you!!!

How many parents take an interest in their childs development once they've reached the age of 5 and are packed off to school? Crap parents = crap kids!! The teachers just do not have the time or resources to deal with the inadequacies of poor parenting. The truth hurts, I know! Suck it up!

Or maybe they're too busy working all the hours under the sun in the private sector to pay the teachers wages.

HOLA4414
Please supply a link showing where this figure comes from.

The link you have provided shows the range of incomes possible for those working in education but does not give an average.

The majority of teachers are on the main pay scale, with a very small minority working as advanced skills teachers or in leadership.

Perhaps the median would be a more suitable measure as a result of the large range with such a small minority at the top.

Yesterday's bbc news has a section covering reporting teacher's pay - which I trust as being reasonably accurate.

TEACHERS' PAY

£20,133 - starting salary (England and Wales)

£34,281 - most experienced teachers' salary (outside London)

+£4,000 - additional pay for inner London teachers

£39,525 - headteachers' starting salary

Nearly £100,000 - most experienced headteachers' salary

Radio 5 also interviewed a few teachers yesterday afternoon, with one whining on about how she'd just bought a house a while back and now was finding things tough with all the price rises of petrol and food and electricity and gas.

Are we to bail her and others public sector workers like her from the strain of negative equity too?

Twenty minutes ago Radio 5 was reporting on just how many different parts of the public sector may be going on strike in the next few months... suggesting it might be called "the summer of discontent".

Are there many strikes going on in the USA? I can't find any recent reports of any, just stories of how life has changed for many people suffering in the downturn, but getting on with it as best they can, thinking as positively as they can, grateful for employment when they have it or get it, and not making impossible demands on the government as public sector workers here are doing.

HOLA4415
Yesterday's bbc news has a section covering reporting teacher's pay - which I trust as being reasonably accurate.

Radio 5 also interviewed a few teachers yesterday afternoon, with one whining on about how she'd just bought a house a while back and now was finding things tough with all the price rises of petrol and food and electricity and gas.

Are we to bail her and others public sector workers like her from the strain of negative equity too?

Twenty minutes ago Radio 5 was reporting on just how many different parts of the public sector may be going on strike in the next few months... suggesting it might be called "the summer of discontent".

Are there many strikes going on in the USA? I can't find any recent reports of any, just stories of how life has changed for many people suffering in the downturn, but getting on with it as best they can, thinking as positively as they can, grateful for employment when they have it or get it, and not making impossible demands on the government as public sector workers here are doing.

Americans have always been more self-reliant than their British counterparts in this regard. When I lived in the U.S. at the end of the dot com bubble, I was surprised by how many restructured "professionals" were prepared to work at gas stations and convenience stores to keep some kind of wage coming in for their families and some kind of working pride for themselves.

Contrast that with Britain, where any restructured professional will most likely claim dole money for months or even years until a job comes along that they think "befits" their status.

Guess which of these two countries is more likely to come out of the current mess by reinventing itself? :unsure:

Edited by Tokyo_Expat

HOLA4416
I think more and more people are thinking the same thing. I'm not old by any means but even in my working life things have gone so bad so quickly it's hard getting through to younger people who have just joined the workforce, how much better things were before when we had some sort of union support to fight for thr rights of working men and women. Employers have gotten away with murder the past 15 years or so, safety standards have lapsed and work practices such as actually having a "lunch hour" an actual whole hour away from work that is! have long since disappeared. This together with the attitude that wages "never go up", has left the British workforce the most overworked and unhappiest in Europe.

Something has to change it really does and I agree that 70's style unions are a thing of the past, but there has to be somewhere in the middle ground for a modern day union.

So good for the teachers for having the balls to stand up and be counted! ;)

Yes; a return to 1970s style restrictive practices would be a disaster. Then, the whole workforce would down tools and walk out if, for instance, a hospital porter dared to pick up a sweet wrapper - that was the job of the hospital cleaners. Unions then supported all manner of ridiculous and uncompetitive working practices, and prevented any efficiency moves and technological advancements that may have seen machines replace manual labour.

However, we've moved beyond that now and by and large our workplaces are efficient. What is now needed is a more professional type of union that will stand up to underhand employment practices in the private sector (such as temporary propmotions that don't attract a pay rise for the first 6 month, followed by a demotion when the law requires the pay rise is awarded). Employers are adhering to the letter of the law but deliberately ignoring the spirit of the law. We need unions to stand against that kind of unfair practice. And, of course, to make life as uncomfortable as possible for a government by demanding wage rises in line with inflation. If government wants to control inflation then they should get on and do it, and not blame workers for causing inflation by trying to retain the purchasing power of their wages.