House Price Crash Forum

The Questions The Journalists Should Be Asking

Dylan

Day after day there are politicians in the media trotting out the same old lines about housing, mortgages, the state of the economy etc, and they never seem to get properly challenged.

What questions would you like to see politicians forced to give a straight answer to?

Caroline Flint and Alistair Darling:

Why are you doing everything you can to support high house prices, when it just means that it is virtually impossible for FTBs to get on the ladder, and for home owners to step up the ladder?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Day after day there are politicians in the media trotting out the same old lines about housing, mortgages, the state of the economy etc, and they never seem to get properly challenged.

What questions would you like to see politicians forced to give a straight answer to?

Caroline Flint and Alistair Darling:

Why are you doing everything you can to support high house prices, when it just means that it is virtually impossible for FTBs to get on the ladder, and for home owners to step up the ladder?

Why am I worser off 8 years on, earning nearly double what I did back then, when you claim inflation is only 2%??

To Gordo and Ali D

It was obvious to anyone who chose to look that the credit crunch was coming (since ever increasing debt was unsustainable).

Did you see it coming? Please choose answer (a) or ( b )

(a) I didn't see it coming. I am an idiot.

( b ) I did see it coming and chose to do nothing about it. I am incompetent and dishonest.

Edited by r thritis

Ooh, can I have a go?

How about...

"Has the Government stress-tested its budget for a 25% fall in tax revenues? Would the Chancellor care to release the minutes of the working group tasked with this activity?"

"How does the Labour Party intend to repay its own borrowing in the event it loses office?"

"Who is likely to succeed Alistair Darling as Chancellor in the event that he needs to spend more time with his family or is similarly indisposed?"

"What is the nation's total exposure under PFI? Are any of these terms renegotiable? And is any of this offset at present against land valuations?"

"Why did you vote for doubling the basic rate of tax?"

"Why did you vote, in 2003, for CPI targetting, rather than RPI or RPI-X targetting?"

Edited by ParticleMan

to Gordon Borwn and Alister darling

were you born ******* blithering incompetent idiots or did you learn that skill whilst in Nulab?

Do you really know what is going on in the real world?

how many times have you had to "blow" George W Bush?

how much do you really earn and how much tax do you pay every year?

are you sorry for what you have done to this country?

do you listen to your Voters?

Isn't it self explanitary? It's because a massive crash will be far, far worse than the alternative of a small backwards correction or stagnation for a few years.

It puzzles me why almost all the people on here seem to so desperately want a property market collapse and are quite gleefull about it. I understand why they may think it's coming but to actually want it is rather sick to my way of thinking. The fall out from it will be absolutely horrendous and all of us are going to end up paying for it through state benefits to the huge number of newly homeless, jobless tradesmen, suicides, business crashes, etc.

People who have recently bought their own homes by stretching themselves and sacrificing do not deserve that. Do any here actually remember what things were like in the early 90's? It was ******in horrible, quite honestly.

You lot on here chirp on about how these nastly BTL'ers and "fools, morons, idiots, etc, etc" who've paid big prices and have artificially inflated prices in some cases to make profit. Yet everyone wants the market to go tits-up so they can get something artificially cheap. You are all exactly the same as the BTL'ers in that you want a market advantageous to your own situation at the expense of others. Only in the case of people here you aren't prepared to risk large sums of your own cash or acrifice your lifestyles.

You lot on here chirp on about how these nastly BTL'ers and "fools, morons, idiots, etc, etc" who've paid big prices and have artificially inflated prices in some cases to make profit. Yet everyone wants the market to go tits-up so they can get something artificially cheap. You are all exactly the same as the BTL'ers in that you want a market advantageous to your own situation at the expense of others. Only in the case of people here you aren't prepared to risk large sums of your own cash or acrifice your lifestyles.

I don't know that I particularly agree with this. I don't want a market situation that favours me over someone else, but there are two things I want.

• A fair market

• To see all of the people that have manipulated the market for their own personal gain suffer the kind of injustice that they have inflicted upon others

Isn't that allowed?

I a quoting Tony Benn here

5 questions to ask the powerfull

What power have you got ?

Where did you get it form ?

In who's interests do you excersise it ?

To whom are you accountable ?

How do we get rid of you ?

I wonder what answers they would give ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Benn lost all credibility (for me at least) a few weeks ago when he announced in an interview "of course, Gordon Brown is a safe pair of hands......." He didn't look or sound convinced while he was saying it, looked slightly embarrassed actually. Now there's a surprise - an insincere politician.

Isn't it self explanitary? It's because a massive crash will be far, far worse than the alternative of a small backwards correction or stagnation for a few years.

It puzzles me why almost all the people on here seem to so desperately want a property market collapse and are quite gleefull about it. I understand why they may think it's coming but to actually want it is rather sick to my way of thinking. The fall out from it will be absolutely horrendous and all of us are going to end up paying for it through state benefits to the huge number of newly homeless, jobless tradesmen, suicides, business crashes, etc.

People who have recently bought their own homes by stretching themselves and sacrificing do not deserve that. Do any here actually remember what things were like in the early 90's? It was ******in horrible, quite honestly.

That is, quite frankly, absolute b0llocks. Which is going to cost the economy and society more in the long run: a short sharp shock where a few thousand people are stuck with negative equity and benefits are paid to people who lose their jobs, or a whole generation who are forced to rent until their mid thirties and children who are brought up in homes that are too small because their parents can't afford to move from the 1 bedroom shared-ownership flat.

I don't know that I particularly agree with this. I don't want a market situation that favours me over someone else, but there are two things I want.
  • A fair market

• To see all of the people that have manipulated the market for their own personal gain suffer the kind of injustice that they have inflicted upon others

Isn't that allowed?

But, what's a "fair" market? A fair price for a particular good must surely be whatever someone is prepared to pay for it?

You say that people have "manipulated the market". How do you do that? An individual, or even a company can't just decide to go out and rig the housing market. People have used property to make money but that's hardly immoral as every type of market only exists because people make their living off of it.

Yet everyone wants the market to go tits-up so they can get something artificially cheap.

Am I the only person out there struggling with the very concept of "artificially cheap" ?

Of course if you can entertain the idea (without checking yourself into the Priory in the process), it introduces the idea of "artificially expensive", and mandates some sort of metric such that one can distinguish the two. Some sort of metric which could be assessed in a continuum of pricing.

And then, going back to the assertion, if "everybody wants" "something artificially cheap", then the implication is, that nothing is is artificially cheap at present - or it would've been bought already. Or to put it another way, everything is currently artificially expensive.

And isn't this a bad thing? Everyone owning artificially expensive things? Shouldn't we want to do something about this?

Down with that sort of thing, I say.

How do you intend to minimise the effects of the 80/20 rule to the extent that the 'normal' taxpayer feels that they are getting value for money?

I'd be more intrigued to know what happens to the normal taxpayer's ideas about value for money if the 80/20 rule is applied recursively to a given population (and there's no reason why it shouldn't be).

That is, quite frankly, absolute b0llocks. Which is going to cost the economy and society more in the long run: a short sharp shock where a few thousand people are stuck with negative equity and benefits are paid to people who lose their jobs, or a whole generation who are forced to rent until their mid thirties and children who are brought up in homes that are too small because their parents can't afford to move from the 1 bedroom shared-ownership flat.

It's very easy to refer to "a few thousand people" in so glib a manner but it goes deeper than that and it's not just about negative equity. Nor will it only be a few thousand people, either. People on here are deperate for a huge crash so they can pick up cheap properties and that means repossessions or distressed sales which also means bankruptcies, families being evicted, businesses going under, suicides, council tax and income tax rocketing to pay for all of this, and so on.

So people are forced to rent - big deal. If you value property ownership that much then save for a while, maybe a long time and make sacrifices.

Crashes and recession are very bad for a country and wanting it to hapen is just sick, quite honestly.

Crashes and recession are very bad for a country and wanting it to hapen is just sick, quite honestly.

It's a better idea to blame the juggler who threw, than the ball for falling.

This recession (and sector-specific price crash) have been baked in since folk equated Greenspan's cheap credit with a rise in intrinsic demand (and proceeded to sweat their collective bollock off producing to meet this fiction).

Welcome back to reality.

• A fair market

Isn't that allowed?

Absolutely agree