House Price Crash Forum

The Welcome Thread For New Members

Does anyone know who actually owns/runs the housepricecrash website?

I always assumed hpc would have tens of thousands, perhaps even close to 100k unique users, because of the broad interest in house prices and the economy.

I posted in the affordability article yesterday, about how i think hpc actually should play a part in helping the Contrarian view to be more visible and perhaps cause a change in mainstream views. Somebody called me delusional for thinking that the site could have that impact, but I fully believe that good quality information on the Internet is more trusted than anything in paper these days.

Simce then I had a look at how hpc topics rank in Google, and realised that the SEO on the site is a disaster and it's not getting visibility in Google and with the amount of content on here it really should be ranking in the way something like mums net does. Would be really good to know who is in charge of that

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always assumed hpc would have tens of thousands, perhaps even close to 100k unique users, because of the broad interest in house prices and the economy.

I posted in the affordability article yesterday, about how i think hpc actually should play a part in helping the Contrarian view to be more visible and perhaps cause a change in mainstream views. Somebody called me delusional for thinking that the site could have that impact, but I fully believe that good quality information on the Internet is more trusted than anything in paper these days.

Simce then I had a look at how hpc topics rank in Google, and realised that the SEO on the site is a disaster and it's not getting visibility in Google and with the amount of content on here it really should be ranking in the way something like mums net does. Would be really good to know who is in charge of that

Why don't you google it, SEO-genius.

Edited by Venger

Hi AnotherFineMess and welcome to the forum! :)

These sound like really great ideas - there's more information on who owns the website and the links between the forum and the commercially operated aspects of the site

Hi venger, that's really helpful Thanks.

I really meant, is the person who runs the site someone who also comments and might be contactable through some known route rather than me having to try and track them down and spam then on linkedin?

But you know, I should have expected some miserable ass response from you, as it basically seems to be what you spend your life doing. Nice one though, very welcoming. Cheers

But you know, I should have expected some miserable ass response from you, as it basically seems to be what you spend your life doing. Nice one though, very welcoming. Cheers

You just don't get it do you!

We are not miserable. You read the misery into the post, but it's not there. Venger's joke at your expense was clever, succinct and funny.

You do realise that there's basically only one place on the internet where forum threads are confused with articles...

And do you realise that the person who called you delusional is the person who rickrolled you - Ghost Bird is Idlewild is Bland Unsight. Same poster, same account. Just changing the display name, just to show you that you are a fish out of water.

Welcome to HPC. See you around. ;)

@ghost. It was succinct, I'll give you that. Must be a first for venger ;)

I don't agree on the influence of Internet fora and blogs, and theres plenty of research out there about how opinions are strongly influenced by niche internet sites

Other places similar to hpc where opinions are shaped and formed: doctors.Net, pistonheads, zerohedge, Guido fawkes (and many other political blogs), Facebook in general. Max keiser's YouTube channel and other media... There are absolutely tons

To think that fora or blogs have to be as enormous as mumsnet to influence opinion within a niche in a tangible way is a mistake. But you do need visibility to find new people, and a degree of openness to welcome new joiners. I found out about hpc because there was some representative talking head that appeared briefly on the news years ago - but it seems like that person isn't involved anymore.

Having some of the most active people in the community taking the view that the conversation has no real-world impact, and treating the forum as a private playground to act like bullies is (imo) more damaging than worried vested interests coming on, spouting some tired and faulty arguments and labelling the forum a doom mongering joke

I don't agree on the influence of Internet fora and blogs, and theres plenty of research out there about how opinions are strongly influenced by niche internet sites

Other places similar to hpc where opinions are shaped and formed: doctors.Net, pistonheads, zerohedge, Guido fawkes (and many other political blogs), Facebook in general. Max keiser's YouTube channel and other media... There are absolutely tons

To think that fora or blogs have to be as enormous as mumsnet to influence opinion within a niche in a tangible way is a mistake. But you do need visibility to find new people, and a degree of openness to welcome new joiners. I found out about hpc because there was some representative talking head that appeared briefly on the news years ago - but it seems like that person isn't involved anymore.

Having some of the most active people in the community taking the view that the conversation has no real-world impact, and treating the forum as a private playground to act like bullies is (imo) more damaging than worried vested interests coming on, spouting some tired and faulty arguments and labelling the forum a doom mongering joke

No, the difference is that no one wants to listen to the message.

Only in time when people can no longer deny that their lives are ******ed up will they come round to this way of thinking.

When people like you will be around to claim all the credit. It was people like anotherfinemess wot did it. Rentier.

Edited by 24 year mortgage 8itch

Is every post you make going to centre around ad hominem attacks on another posters or are you going to get over that at some point?

No, the difference is that no one wants to listen to the message.

Only in time when people can no longer deny that their lives are ******ed up will they come round to this way of thinking.

When people like you will be around to claim all the credit. It was people like anotherfinemess wot did it. Rentier.

The idea that there is an agreed upon message to be promoted seems a bit bizarre to me anyway. This is a discussion forum, not a campaigning group.

People sometimes organise or promote small scale ad hoc campaigns via the forum, but other posters are always free to actively disagree with them, and they are in any case a very small part of what the forum has to offer (and the fact that many different perspectives are already regularly expressed on the boards is precisely why there is no unified voice with which the forum could campaign).

Sharing, analysing and questioning information, debating opinion and challenging viewpoints (which includes challenging one's own viewpoint by subjecting it to the rigours of debate, and to my mind is also a matter of respect - only if I was absolutely certain that the other party had nothing whatsoever of interest or intelligence to offer would I feel there was nothing to be gained by engaging them on points of apparent disagreement), are all incredibly useful and worthwhile activities in their own right.

Intelligent and well researched contributions do much more for the forum than grandiose plans to influence the UK housing market, IMO.

Hey all.

I've been reading for years. First of all around 2006, then stopped as I was out of the uk for a while and wasn't really thinking about houses. Came back in 2014 and started lurking on here a bit again, just getting a feel for the alternative views on the market.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs

I do want to say though, from a long time reader but never commenting perspective, the way lots of people turn on anyone who has a vaguely alternative perspective to the general group think is really off putting.

Often this would be called trolling on here, but imo it sometimes looks to an outsider like anyone with a different opinion is harassed off of the forum.

People might argue this is the Hpc forum, so any view that supports the main stream view is trolling. Or that any vi should be made to feel unwelcome. I don't agree and I just want to finally put that out there...

Vaguely alternative perspective.../ different opinion.

Thread with a raging troll lashing out at HPC as being forever wrong, later admitting to being a 3xBTLers outed from LLZ.... and you stepping in to suggest we should not push back against it with a robust defence. You claim a robust defence is bad a troll behaviour. Just a few posts and you've posted bullying at least twice now. You're going to get challenged if you continue to do it.

Why don't you post your vaguely alternative perspectives and different opinions, instead of tipping up and telling us what to do, and how to post.

You didn't like us laughing and pushing back at a confirmed x3 BTLer Troll (had to be outed for he didn't reveal his VI at the outset) with his 'house prices go up forever because of population growth, and obsession'. We can get that anywhere.

Why don't you post your vaguely alternative perspectives and different opinions, instead of tipping up and telling us what to do, and how to post.

+1

I was happy to give the benefit of the doubt based on a first post but everything I've seen since suggests I might have been mistaken to do so.

But you do need visibility to find new people, and a degree of openness to welcome new joiners. I found out about hpc because there was some representative talking head that appeared briefly on the news years ago - but it seems like that person isn't involved anymore.

If increased visibility will bring more inept trolls, then it's certainly not something I have an interest in working towards. As to that person you refer to, you need to read How to Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Every single poster tipping into you here - five at current count - could tell you the answer, but none will. It's a social space and you're negotiating it with the kind of deft touch one would expect from PovertyLater's leading 'article' writer when reflecting on a good time to use a Holocaust simile.

Man, it is a while since I spent any time talking to a good old fashioned troll. I am loving the nostalgia.

I don't think that a forum has no real world impact, but I think it's impact could easily be exaggerated.

Take the example of the PovertyLater tw@ts. The posters there believed back in July 2015 that they could get Osborne to perform a U-turn on the restriction of their ability to deduct their mortgage interest expense when calculating the profit chargeable to income tax, (so called Clause 24, strictly speaking Section 24 of the Finance (No. 2) Act 2015).

In retrospect we can see that this belief, though earnestly and fervently expressed, was totally delusional and that many posters of the PovertyLater forum posters humiliated themselves by expressing it.

Likewise, many people came fresh to HPC as posters because they were so aghast by the more objectionable PovertyLater posters that they wanted to join in a conversation about those people being scum and derived a moments amusement from simply laughing at them, protractedly.

The whole business of influence is much more subtle than you suggests, and as Neverwhere so eloquently explains the point of the forum isn't influence - it's conversation. HPC is not a campaign group.

Edited by Ghost Bird

Sorry to litter the welcome thread with this, but it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile trying to explain to AnotherFineMess what it is that I get out of posting. Look at the changes that Nationwide made to rental covers today. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have noticed such a change and would not have been in the slightest bit interested. Five years ago, puzzled by the behaviour of UK property I started reading books and googling stuff and that led me to HPC. If you start googling property related search terms you'll keep finding HPC thread titles - PovertyLater translation 'articles' ;) - and eventually out of curiosity you'll read one.

My experience via IRL friends is that some of them dabble with the forum but don't care for the way information is presented, because essentially it isn't presented. It's just a bunch of conversations in a social context. If you come in off the street you have a lot of catching up to do. It tickles me to be castigated by a newcomer for not welcoming newcomers because essentially the opposite is true. Given the effort that was involved in catching up with the conversation I've always tried to post clearly, even if it has meant that I have to repeat myself and post longer, more detailed posts than are strictly necessary in order to merely continue the conversation with the other clued up posters I hope might read and respond. Regardless of the merits, or otherwise, of my efforts, at the end of the day each individual lurker and poster can only involve themselves in the conversation if they first make an effort to follow the conversations. But why bother?

Today is a nice example of that. The move by Nationwide was not news for those of us who had been following and posting in the relevant conversations, of which this is an example. We had been anticipating the move since last July when Osborne announced Section 24. Hence one of the things that you get is a better map of the territory, and with that a sense that even if you don't know what's going to happen next, at least you have a handle on what is going on, and that is a considerable step forward from being deeply puzzled by the unceasing inflation of a truly monstrous bubble.

Essentially HPC is an awesome resource, but you gain access to it by reading it and taking part. There is a lovely line in David Mamet film State and Main, "Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself, it isn't fun. It's entertainment".

For me HPC is fun, not entertainment.

Haha I've made a name for myself as troll already. Thanks for taking the time to reply ghost bird.

I don't want to be a troll, I just came on and bothered to post as I was at my wits end with seeing people castigated for their views, and with the momentum moving as much as it is right now I'm sure there are lots of new people questioning their hi forever ideas. So I kinda came in moody, it was the point I bothered posting rather than just consuming.

Anyway, I'll cool it now. We're coming from the same place in general. I do realise it's not the best way to make friends to come in as Mr grumbles, but as I say it was the only thing that really made me bother to post in the first place so it was always gonna happen.

There's so much great info contributed here each day, and I can't claim to be an insider or have any info that others don't have access to anyway. Just some anecdotal stuff, and the same ability to sift the wheat and chaff posted here the same as anyone else could

Roll on the crash.

And to set the record straight, no I'm not a rentier!

Haha I've made a name for myself as troll already. Thanks for taking the time to reply ghost bird.

I don't want to be a troll, I just came on and bothered to post as I was at my wits end with seeing people castigated for their views, and with the momentum moving as much as it is right now I'm sure there are lots of new people questioning their hi forever ideas. So I kinda came in moody, it was the point I bothered posting rather than just consuming.

Anyway, I'll cool it now. We're coming from the same place in general. I do realise it's not the best way to make friends to come in as Mr grumbles, but as I say it was the only thing that really made me bother to post in the first place so it was always gonna happen.

There's so much great info contributed here each day, and I can't claim to be an insider or have any info that others don't have access to anyway. Just some anecdotal stuff, and the same ability to sift the wheat and chaff posted here the same as anyone else could

Roll on the crash.

That's weird because you came in backing up the guy who was castigating everybody else for their views, and you seem to still be doing it now.

Yeah I stand by what I said.

That guy started off reasonably balanced and got pounced on. Their really dodgy posts were after they got pounced on and they then saw the opportunity to troll as the thread and argument rubled on. I really came in not because of that single poster, but because I've seen tons of people treated the same way and i got to my wits end with the whole theme.

Can we stop this conversation, we're probably all tired of it by now?

On a side note, I really don't get why you post with all these different accounts, it's shill behavior. But whatever. Rick rolling me was funny and the stuff you post is interesting, I just don't get why you use multiple accounts?

Ghost Bird changed his display name he did not create a new account. I am not Ghost Bird. For one thing, I'm the wrong gender.

I very much respect all of the regular posters who have contributed to this thread recently so I'm not at all offended by the choice of "multiple accounts" with which you have falsely embued me. However, your claim that I am personally engaged in "shill behaviour" and running "multiple accounts" is of course offensive, and an out and out ad hominem attack, and has been reported to the Moderators as such.

What that guy started off by doing was castigating other posters for expressing their views and accusing them of "spouting rubbish". He then simply continued on in the same vein.

Im sorry but this is not affordability... This is a measure of house prices relative to wages not affordability....

The definition of affordability is... The extent to which something is affordable, as measured by its cost relative to the amount that the purchaser is able to pay.

This really is basic stuff here, affordability is actually at an all time high due to record low interest rates even with higher house prices... The time bomb is when rates do go up then what was affordable becomes affordable, if you couple that with falling house prices you have the perfect storm.

I would also question why are you posting stats from 2013?

Sorry but I agree house prices are too high but just like the EU debate if you spout rubbish the less interested everyday folk just think well thats clearly rubbish, everything they say is rubbish which is why HPC has become a doom mongering joke

You seem to think that it's okay for you personally to castigate people (which is what you have been doing) and that it's okay for vested interests with no evidence to castigate people (which is what you have been defending) but that it's not okay for anyone with a reasoned position on the evidence to point out the flaws in such castigation or to respond robustly to the insults contained therein (which is what you have been castigating).

Standing by that doesn't leave you looking all that great IMO but you are of course free to do so.

On a side note, I really don't get why you post with all these different accounts, it's shill behavior. But whatever. Rick rolling me was funny and the stuff you post is interesting, I just don't get why you use multiple accounts?

My fine, witless friend! I do it to demonstrate that you are thick.

I don't post from "multiple accounts". That is an idiotic PovertyLater misunderstanding of how the HPC forum works. I can change my display name every thirty days. Just to help out the troll dullards I am presently leaving my profile unchanged so, as you yourself determined at about half-ten last night, it is a matter of record that the new display name attaches to a the same old account.

Once I change the profile a modest increase in skills will be needed for you to relate the display name to the poster.

I check the profile regularly to see who has stopped in.

The whole identity is at least in part a trap for trolls. :D

What I am doing is using my superior knowledge of the topography to make sport of disingenuous clowns.

It must be noted that you discharging your clown responsibilities with admirable consistency.

I say again - welcome to HPC.

[bTW - a shill must sell, you are being trolled - the accusation of shill behaviour misses the Mark ;) ]

Edited by Ghost Bird

Haha I've made a name for myself as troll already.

No you haven't. You are a cypher. A nobody - for the moment. At present you seem as likely to be the next Ruggerlad as the next pipllman.

I am engaging with you not on your own merits but in order to communicate with the other posters and the lurkers. If other credible posters reprimand me, I will have to reflect on whether or not I have gone too far. To the lurkers I want to send a message that it is fun to post! :D

And also, as ever, that we are Zion, and we are not afraid... ;)

Edited by Ghost Bird
  • 2 weeks later...

Roll on the crash.

Now you've joined, and found out how not to post, post. You'll get far far more from the forum by engaging with it, but do so as a participant not a regulator.

In time you'll earn enough respect as a participant to castigate others without a backlash, and some of those others will be new posters with the wrong attitude.

Welcome aboard - it's a fun, entertaining and deeply instructive space. Don't be put off, get stuck in, everybody wants you to, even those who have castigated you. Just have some respect and above all, listen (or read, whatever - pay heed).