House Price Crash Forum

Superb Piece In The Times By Alice Miles. Tells The Truth.

HOLA441
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
What we need is a 3 or even 5 part documentary that examines the cozy links between Niu Laboor and the media --- and then a VERY careful & forensically examination of the role of the BANKS -- and WHY the warning signs went unheeded...

And -- I reckon we need to VERY closely examine the LOBBYING POWER of the VESTED INTERESTS - i.e. the Property Developers and BANKS/MONEYLENDERS.............

Eric,

NuLab are dug in deep with our meeja, and have covered all the social classes, ie,

BBC/Guardian/Times axis with Marr, Ashley, Miles, Dimbleby, Toynbee, Five Live etc, the list is endless.

GMTV axis with Fionna & Kate, doing the dumb sofa celeb thing. Both NuLab luvvies.

Sky News/Sun axis with Boulton, Holmes, Kendrick doing the lads footie white van thing.

Scary if it was all pre-planned.

HOLA443
HPC Senior Veteran

Group: Members

Member No.: 767

QUOTE (newp @ Apr 18 2008, 10:03 AM) *

It's David Smith who's prompted me to shout at the newspaper a few times over the last 5 years ,,,,,,,,,,

Can we PROVE that this guy has a huge BTL "Portfolio" -- and then FORCE him to reveal this?

Hallo, my first post.

I emailed David Smith about his recent comments regarding "obsessives" on the internet "wrongly" predicting a house price crash. (Wonder who he could have been referring to). Very tetchy. I suggested he had a vested interest which he loftily dismissed as "the usual nonsense". Also claimed that his analysis was "spot on" because he "understood the numbers", as if nobody else did (particularly, presumably, all you "obsessives" out there.) At least he engaged in some sort of rudimentary debate in a know-all sort of way, but came across as supercilious and patronising.

Tricksters.

Welcome to the site - and please feel free to post his reply so we can have a good look at it... ;)

HOLA444

Good comment here.

An excellent article- one thing missing though. Because house prices and rents have risen so drastically, the impact on inflation has meant that, in effect, housing inflation has cost us about a 25% increase in public sector spending because that is the extra amount that we have to pay public sector workers to live in crazy property land. So pretty much all all of the chancellors increases in public spending on the NHS etc has actually gone to landlords and those making money from houses. And he is trying to continue it!

ian n harper, franham common,

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Before we all get carried away remember this -

It was the media s refusal to address these issues and bring the govt to task that contributed to this bubble developing.

In fact the media profited from all this with advertising and were happy to cash-in with property sections.

Why is the Times publishing this now?

Well,

1 - its probably 'safe' now that its already happening (rear view mirror anyone?) and

2 - their advertising revenue from builders/developers/PR-fluffers is probably in decline, so why not tell the truth.

This article is a rehash of what has been said on this site for years. Nothing more.

Dont get fooled again.

This is in the mainstream because it suits them to print it.

They are addressing it now for one simple reason - they can smell blood!

HOLA448
Can we PROVE that this guy has a huge BTL "Portfolio" -- and then FORCE him to reveal this?

Not sure whether you can still do this but it used to be possible to do a "name search" at the Land Registry. But with a name like David Smith you would also need a residential address to narrow it down a bit. Anyway, it probably only costs a few quid. Has anyone done it for Phil and Krusty? Or Sarah?

HOLA449

Or, on the assumption that there may be corporate vehicles/wrappers for these holdings, Companies House searches to find the directorships held by the respective parties...

Sadly Freedom of Information Act requests for details of property holdings would not be possible because C4 and the Times etc are not public bodies.

HOLA4410

My personal favourite from the comments:

You lot jsut dont get it do you, people simple are not going to sell a house they paid £250l to you for 180k, they will sit on it till it is worth 250k again no matter how long that take's.

England is just going to end up like japan with generation mortgaes, we are an island too, so yes prices for new build homes might come down, and the odd bankrupt home here and there, but the rest of us will be sitting still the price goes back up.

Mr w Jones, Liverpool, England

I presume, Mr W Jones, that you have a secure job and are sitting with a large equity in your character property looking smugly at the neighbours (in their “new builds”) trying to keep up with you.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Or, on the assumption that there may be corporate vehicles/wrappers for these holdings, Companies House searches to find the directorships held by the respective parties...

Sadly Freedom of Information Act requests for details of property holdings would not be possible because C4 and the Times etc are not public bodies.

Zebedee!!!!!!!!! :P

Just read this over and over and over again -- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...?Submitted=true

AND NOTE THE 100's of people who comment and mostly agree after the article....

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Not sure whether you can still do this but it used to be possible to do a "name search" at the Land Registry. But with a name like David Smith you would also need a residential address to narrow it down a bit. Anyway, it probably only costs a few quid. Has anyone done it for Phil and Krusty? Or Sarah?

I think they stopped this....

BADONG!!!!!!!!!

HOLA4417
I know this doesn't add anything to the thread.. but the comments on that article make for a fantastic read :)

Yes they do Reggie!!!! 139 Comments have been made so far -- and it's still going up! - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...?Submitted=true

and only about 5 of them DON'T agree that the Housing "Market" is a total DISGRACE - and Luring FTB's now is a "SCANDAL"......

And remember too - the Telegraph had several articles to which HUNDREDS of people ALSO commented angrily about the absurd house "prices" of recent times --- one of the articles is here -- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...?Submitted=true

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4418
Yes they do Reggie!!!! 139 Comments have been made so far -- and it's still going up! - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...?Submitted=true

and only about 5 of them DON'T agree that the Housing "Market" is a total DISGRACE - and Luring FTB's now is a "SCANDAL"......

And remember too - the Telegraph had several articles to which HUNDREDS of people ALSO commented angrily about the absurd house "prices" of recent times --- one of the articles is here -- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...?Submitted=true

I see it's the most commented on column and is flagged as a 'Times recommends' article. Hopefully they'll ditch Anne whats-her-name who seems to atract a lot of negative comments every time she "writes" something for them.

HOLA4419
I see it's the most commented on column and is flagged as a 'Times recommends' article. Hopefully they'll ditch Anne whats-her-name who seems to atract a lot of negative comments every time she "writes" something for them.

Agree Reggie --- That rather dumb Anne whatever-her-name should be asked to just take a look at this graph: -

homepage.png

Is she going to be able to take one look at it - and UNDERSTAND? .............. I wonder!! :D:D

After all -- a 5 year old would understand this graph without even thinking about it..........

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425