House Price Crash Forum

Brown's Sky Interview Gold Bug Moment

Guy is out of his ******ing box.

Crown, cheers for your posts on Guido too. Keep up the good work.

spreading the word

I'm checking out websites on delusional states of mind to see what's going on.

I don't think GB is insane, but he is getting there

spreading the word

I'm checking out websites on delusional states of mind to see what's going on.

I don't think GB is insane, but he is getting there

he could just be a close relative of george bush junior.

If only he had diversified into gold

It really is BLOODY unbelievable... and this comes from someone who firmly believes that Brown did the right thing in selling the gold... but that has to be the most confused/dishonest justification I could ever imagine.

If he'd said that gold was an anachronism and he sold a precious metal to support investment in infrastructure, he'd have had a chance at emerging unscathed.

I feel that selling gold was a good idea (though the timing could have been better, I admit) because it undermines the value of an inert investment. Gold does not have value to society where there is a functioning currency - and, as such, selling the gold reserves is a classic move to burn your bridges. Britain, as a state, can no-longer rely upon the perceived wealth of metal in vaults... which, I think, is a good thing. Hoards of precious metals are the least positive form of wealth there is. Was it a huge risk to sell gold? Was the timing awful? Were the motivations bogus? Almost certainly a big yes to all three...

I'm curious about the "previous government" bit - I don't think that was a reference to the Tories. I think that was a reference to the Blair government.

I thought I'd take a quick look back to see if the story was consistent with reporting at the time it occurred. Hmm, no mention of it being the Tories fault then, funny that, he seemed quite pleased with himself at the time. The argument about changing the asset mix is mentioned, although it took UK gold reserves to well below the average of other major countries. Along with the Treasury saying it was used to pay down debt (er, no mention of buying Euros there Gordon.... paying down debt was seen as heading the UK off on the route to meeting Maastricht criteria and joining the Euro)

But I also noticed his calls for the IMF to introduce better surveillance to head off crises. Do you think he managed to save a bit of money by reusing the old press releases?

And his calls to the IMF to sell its gold to alleviate third world debt (though this started in 1996, so even then Labour were reannouncing things already announced to claim benefit or get multiple recognition for single events). In fact in 1996 Ken Clarke was quoted as being a strong advocate of gold sales by the IMF for the same purpose, so nothing new there....

Guest theboltonfury
he sold it in the late 90s, so no it cant be unless he's going mad.

please someone just put this moron out of his misery. What about an HPc Day of the Jackal style hit (only without the getting caught bit at the end)

please someone just put this moron out of his misery. What about an HPc Day of the Jackal style hit (only without the getting caught bit at the end)

Having just watched some of today's interview with Brown I am convinced that the man is totally deluded and deranged. It's a scary thought but the British Prime Minister appears to be a madman.

Good idea - you only need a few labour backbenchers. They already have their knives out - happy days.

He's still carping on about the 10 years inherited from the previous government! He inherited a sound economy, a fiscal dream, he encouraged a credit boom with a ponzi pyramid selling scam for 10 years instead of investing in a sound economic future ie industry, he fritted away billions for the benefit of a few bankers and property barons.

"We are the only economy of the major economies that has continued to grow without a major recession in the last 10 years," he added.

This guy is seriously deluded he is a danger, the problem is the danger has been running the economy for 10 years and the grinning chimp and arch zealot Blair has to shoulder a major responsibility for this fiasco also.

Having just watched some of today's interview with Brown I am convinced that the man is totally deluded and deranged. It's a scary thought but the British Prime Minister appears to be a madman.
Guest theboltonfury
Rumour has it that he has partial lockjaw on account that he never had his tetanus booster.... :blink:

ps plus his mother dropped him once....

very funny!

On a serious note, if one trawls history for political assassinations, many have done a lot less to ****** up a country than Brown and had their heads blown off. Some people will have been plunged into utter despair by this mans lack of control and it's not beyond credibility that he'll be taken down - the nutter count in the UK seems to be getting higher every day

Can I just say, that should this happen, it was not me and I did not plan it, nor do I advocate it.

I noticed that Anna Botting on SKY NEWS has just said TWICE that year on year prices are still up. She seems at pains to point out the market is 'still rising'...protecting her little portfolio, perhaps? <_<