House Price Crash Forum

Cornwall

HOLA441

No actual official change but this area has been cited as somewhere that could be a potential blackspot if there is a crash.

At present prices are around 8 times average earnings - so no first time buyers.

What I am seeing is more houses on the market but the word is they aren't selling for the asking price. No wonder though £200,000 for a bulk standard 2-3 bedroom terrace house and the average loacl wage is £16K

HOLA442

Check out the land registry link. They showed prices rising in Cornwall Jul-Sept 04 in face of a fall nationwide. I know of several properties that have sold at asking price since christmas and some to FTBs, the poor sods. In my area there are lots of SSTC signs gone up.

I have spoken to some EAs though and they did not claim that things were good. Rental properties are sticking to some degree although this is normal in a cornish winter.

It will come later in Cornwall as did the rampant inflation as and when the south east feels serious pain.

HOLA443
HOLA444
The housing market certainly isn't driven by local money anymore.

House prices are already social injustice to the people of the U.K, but in Cornwall I think it borders on being a tragedy to the people working there on average wages.

HOLA445
HOLA446
It took the Saxons

It took the axons and the Normans many hundreds of years to finally capture and subdue all of Cornwall. It then took the English from the Elizabethans to the Victorians hundreds more years to destroy its language and much of its unique cultural identity.

It has now taken the equity release crusaders less than a decade to sucessfully capture the freehold of most of Cornwall!

HOLA447

It's even worse... It might be £16K average, but most jobs advertised are around £12K.

Just curious...

Is there anyone out there living in Cornwall looking to migrate to better paid wage area / cheaper housing in the UK or abroad in the near future???? What makes you stay, or were you lucky to have bought when prices were cheap?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448

My partner and I rent in Cornwall and we remain here as its where we grew up, where our family and friends live and where we can do our hobbies. Quite simply, this is where our lives are.

We rent at the moment due to high house prices and are trying to save for a deposit (its not just house prices though, council tax and water bills are high). With low wages and one just about national wage, we're looking at a long time save if the market remains the same. Average terrace around us is now £170, 000!

We will think about moving if the market stays or increases over the next few years. Why should we be moved from our home county though due to house prices alone?? That thought makes me angry.

HOLA449

Baggott, we are in the same boat. Especially in winter I get angry about cramped conditions etc, but come spring the county becomes a beautiful place. Plus don't forget if you follow Dr Bubb's calculations and 'rent well' you actually pay less for the same standard of housing. Renting has it's upside and there are a lot of costly problems with ownership that you don't hear about, like maintenance, repairing, redecorating etc.

There's no way we will leave Cornwall just because of the housing market; it IS cyclical, and fundamentals here do not in any way justify prices over the last few years.

I have a good friend who lost everything in the last crash around 1991, but since then there have been very cheap houses and plots to buy, at least until about 2001. In 1989 do you think anybody expected that?

Cheers

C.P. B)

HOLA4410

Baggott, we are in the same boat. Especially in winter I get angry about cramped conditions etc, but come spring the county becomes a beautiful place. Plus don't forget if you follow Dr Bubb's calculations and 'rent well' you actually pay less for the same standard of housing. Renting has it's upside and there are a lot of costly problems with ownership that you don't hear about, like maintenance, repairing, redecorating etc.

There's no way we will leave Cornwall just because of the housing market; it IS cyclical, and fundamentals here do not in any way justify prices over the last few years.

I have a good friend who lost everything in the last crash around 1991, but since then there have been very cheap houses and plots to buy, at least until about 2001. In 1989 do you think anybody expected that?

Cheers

C.P. B)

HOLA4411

C.P

In 1989 I was about 11 so the thoguht hadn't even entered my mind. Different people say different things, it will go uo, it will go down. Either way, we're saving and enjoying where we live and if we can't buy then maybe that deposit will take us around the World instead!

Our mian fear is Landlords selling up for quick profit. We're had to move twice due to that after being promised long lets and being good tenants. I hope we're on a winner with where we are now.

Weather looking better today! :)