House Price Crash Forum

Hyperinflationary Depression 2010

narco

HOLA441
This is not the case, as the money will not be absorbed into the bank by interest charges, because the creditors will default.

THATS WORSE: the pledged asset is a LIABILITY, and adds further to the losses the bank needs to cover in its balance sheet. And they lose the interest they would have got over the term.

It really is the last thing a bank wants.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I don't believe that is the case. People have not been building up equity because of the increase. What they have been doing is MEWing the proceeds on things.... Holidays, Cars etc..

I think the percentages released are much bigger this time. How many 90% + house loans where there around.

An interesting point, although I still can't get my head around how this could be THAT high a percentage compared to the whole lent... would be interesting to see some figures, I can imagine it would take a bit of work to get what would only be a ball park figure though

HOLA443
THATS WORSE: the pledged asset is a LIABILITY, and adds further to the losses the bank needs to cover in its balance sheet. And they lose the interest they would have got over the term.

So if people start defaulting, which they are BTW, the money stays in the system. Yes it is worse for the banks. Hyperinflation is scary.

HOLA444

I can only see reasons why, in the long term, money supply by the creation of debt is going to decrease massively. Again I can only see deflation long term.

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Bubble&Squeak

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
An interesting point, although I still can't get my head around how this could be THAT high a percentage compared to the whole lent... would be interesting to see some figures, I can imagine it would take a bit of work to get what would only be a ball park figure though

I bet the historic % of equity figures would be a good place to start. I wonder what they say? Has anyone seen somewhere to get them?

Edited by PiXeL8r

HOLA448
So if people start defaulting, which they are BTW, the money stays in the system. Yes it is worse for the banks. Hyperinflation is scary.

only a small percentage will default, the banks will need to keep more of their income to stay afloat and they will lend less. Much less.

This is already happening.

Interest rates for other lending are rising also.

Money is also leaving these shores by the GOLD boat load.

This place is Leaking money. The replacement for it is going to the very banks that created it.

HOLA449
only a small percentage will default, the banks will need to keep more of their income to stay afloat and they will lend less. Much less.

This is already happening.

Interest rates for other lending are rising also.

Money is also leaving these shores by the GOLD boat load.

This place is Leaking money. The replacement for it is going to the very banks that created it.

Have you seen the default rates in the US. Last time I saw them it was up to 8% of subprime. Britain has it's own subprime which is just about starting to implode.

Edited by PiXeL8r

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Nearly 100% (all bar about 4% I seem to remember) of all money created is as debt, there are few vehicles for moving this debt around now... the debt creation will slow dramatically and therefore so will money creation. Deflation is completely unavoidable IMHO.

All money is debt in a fiat system, notes and coins included.

As of February, in the UK 2.86% of money was circulating notes and coins - that is, non-interest bearing. Free money if you like.

In addition to this, a further 1.35% of money was reserve balances at the central bank.

4.21% of the money is "real" money. The other 95.79% is privately issued credit.

The domestic broad money supply figure for the UK is 1.69T.

EDIT: FIxed some maths

Edited by dazednconfused

HOLA4412
Have you seen the default rates in the US. Last time I saw them it was up to 8% of subprime. Britain has it's own subprime which is just about starting to implode.

I agree. Its alarming, there is no cure except that which to market inflicts.

PAy down debt, stock some food is about all you can do.

If you are starving and everyone around you is starving , being able to buy a block of flats with an ounce of the gold stuff is not going to be a lot of help.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Deflation is completely unavoidable IMHO.

There will not be deflation as the central banks will keep bailing out banks from the OTC derivative meltdown. Which means adding more money to the system. The can not let the debts deflate as it would bring the $500 derivative market to failure. So they have to hyper-inflate not deflate.

Failure is not an option with derivative market because of it's size.

Edited by PiXeL8r

HOLA4416
There will not be deflation as the central banks will keep bailing out banks from the OTC derivative meltdown. Which means adding more money to the system. The can not let the debts deflate as it would bring the $500 derivative market to failure. So they have to hyper-inflate not deflate.

Failure is not an option with derivative market because of it's size.

That is a view, but you have not yet explained how money poured into the broken banks will end up in circulation

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I agree. Its alarming, there is no cure except that which to market inflicts.

PAy down debt, stock some food is about all you can do.

If you are starving and everyone around you is starving , being able to buy a block of flats with an ounce of the gold stuff is not going to be a lot of help.

Agree, if it comes to that gold doesn't taste very good. But you would still have resources to fall back on with the rest of the world. There would be nothing stopping you going somewhere else with your global currency - gold.

HOLA4419
That is a view, but you have not yet explained how money poured into the broken banks will end up in circulation

It is already in the system. In that it has entered it in the massive run up of houses and debt. Propping up the banks means the inflation already created does not get deflated.

So the money poured into the banks supports the already introduced inflation.

HOLA4420
It is already in the system. In that it has entered it in the massive run up of houses and debt. Propping up the banks means the inflation already created does not get deflated.

So the money poured into the banks supports the already introduced inflation.

so are you arguing that there is going to be more money in the system after today, sufficiently more to encourage hyperinflation, which we DO NOT have witht the current amount of money, or are you saying that the money in circulation is already hyperinfaltionery?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
so are you arguing that there is going to be more money in the system after today, sufficiently more to encourage hyperinflation, which we DO NOT have witht the current amount of money, or are you saying that the money in circulation is already hyperinfaltionery?

I am saying that the money already in the system is hyperinflationery. The banks being supported just keeps it here.

Look at the debt figures. Government & private.

Lending money that can't be defaulted on is hyperinflation.

Edited by PiXeL8r

HOLA4423
I am saying that he money already in the system is hyperinflationery. The banks being supported just keeps it here.

sorry, I fail to see the hyperinflation with the current cohort of money in circulation.

I see inflation in low order items

I see deflation in high order items

All I can see is the BUST phase in the boom bust world we live in

You might like to review this video. It takes about an hour but the lecturer is extremely captivating.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...rassimir+petrov

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
The key will be the bond market. When China and Japan start dumping dollar holdings, the $100 dollar bill will be more functional as toilet paper.

the west will wish they were more respectful of the olympic torch next time round. :lol: