House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Midlands Today (western Region)

Anyone in the area should watch it.....the trailor for the local news at the start of the of main national news went something like:-

Nick Owen

"Is the bottom about to drop out of the housing market? We speak to a building society manager who has given up his job and is selling his house..."

...or something to that effect. They are sure to run this again on the main bulletin @ 18:30. It seems to be the headline story...watch if you can.

EDIT:- It the second lead story on the 18:30 News as well for anyone that missed it earlier.

Edited by Notlongnow
Anyone in the area should watch it.....the trailor for the local news at the start of the of main national news went something like:-

Nick Owen

"Is the bottom about to drop out of the housing market? We speak to a building society manager who has given up his job and is selling his house..."

...or something to that effect. They are sure to run this again on the main bulletin @ 18:30. It seems to be the headline story...watch if you can.

I think if you have Sky, you can go to one of the 900 numbers (no, not those ones ;) ), and look at a region's BBC progs, even if it is not your own...

Nicks just been saysing about it again. I'll be tuning in.

No doubt it will have some 'expert' (estate agent) closing the piece saying he's mad and house prices are unlikely to fall. Or Stuart Law from Assetzzz saying house prices will rise 400% before next Sunday.

Nicks just been saysing about it again. I'll be tuning in.

No doubt it will have some 'expert' (estate agent) closing the piece saying he's mad and house prices are unlikely to fall. Or Stuart Law from Assetzzz saying house prices will rise 400% before next Sunday.

Haha....you were right about the "expert" Estate Agent.

However, even she said that it is a "difficult" market, and houses need to be correctly priced to sell. She typically tried to blame the media for whipping up hysteria.

I'll post a link to the story when I can find it - its sure to be on the BBC website soon.

Just watched the clip on BBC Midlands after they switched from Kate Silverton on the national BBC news. With concentration regained I thought it was a nice piece of news. For balance they threw in a random middle aged female EA saying that the market was "picking up." I wonder what that looks like? Two phone calls last week compared with just one call the week before?

Edited by Realistbear
The presenter was called Robin Hunt – I thought they were referring to the Estate Agent. :lol:

:lol:

At least the EA didn't tell great big porkies about all being OK.

What I thought was odd, was the choice of EA... in a small place like Kineton... a bit obscure I thought - it's a lil' village in Warwickshire.

Wow, that's amazing - so it's not just BTL that is getting out of the market but also homeowners as well. With so many properties already on the market there is going to be an even greater oversupply of property for sale which will drive down prices much quicker. All goes to show that the collapse has less to do with fundamentals and more to do with basic human psychology - FEAR. We are now in that stage and it will quickly lead to panic.

I think you are right.

Many others now will think they are being savy by selling up and taking out their equity. I think they are too late.

http://www.iammoving.com/articles/?id=2 says 1 in 5 are considering selling up and renting in the short term!!

As soon as the mainstream media come around to the idea of HPC (as they seem to be) we'll see some serious panic selling followed by forced selling as mortgage rates reset onto the lenders SVR.

...interesting times. Really glad I don't own a house....

Is there more to this story... I mean, why in these economically uncertain times would you quit your job to sell your house in a market that the seller admits is slow?

It's not as if it needs renovating, from what I could tell it's a new build.

Sometimes these 'local' news stories leave you asking more questions than was answered.

Sometimes these 'local' news stories leave you asking more questions than was answered.

agreed - is that bloke going to continually mow the lawn until there is nothing left? :lol:

what is he going to be doing all day just to sell his house?

who would buy his house after watching the film clip?

all in all a bit odd really but great bear food nonetheless.

agreed - is that bloke going to continually mow the lawn until there is nothing left? :lol:

what is he going to be doing all day just to sell his house?

who would buy his house after watching the film clip?

all in all a bit odd really but great bear food nonetheless.

Local news stories do have a habit of being driven by PR agencies with a product to sell.

My guess is that this one has come from the website mentioned in the clip (and link provided above)......like you say, who'd want to buy his house now?

Additionally, if you think house prices are going to fall and you've yet to exit the market, the LAST thing you do is go onto TV saying you want to sell your house because it is currently hugely overpriced.

Hardly likely to have buyers knocking on his door with offers at the ready.

Agreed - it is great bear food.

Local news stories do have a habit of being driven by PR agencies with a product to sell.

My guess is that this one has come from the website mentioned in the clip (and link provided above)......like you say, who'd want to buy his house now?

Additionally, if you think house prices are going to fall and you've yet to exit the market, the LAST thing you do is go onto TV saying you want to sell your house because it is currently hugely overpriced.

Hardly likely to have buyers knocking on his door with offers at the ready.

Agreed - it is great bear food.

Yeah what a dickhead. "take the equity out" he said. Although as we all know, there are probably enough idiots out there for him.

If everyone in the UK was as level headed as HPC members, would prices follow the trend line perfectly? :lol::lol:

I notice the seller said he will earn £6k a year net interest and claimed to be able to live off this - plus the money he won't lose by selling a depreciating asset now.

That estate in Hatton was built on the site of a former mental hospital/institute. Looks like at least one nutter still lives there.

Edited by BuyInTheDip