House Price Crash Forum

My Dad Wants To Move Next Door

the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA441

We moved into a flat in Dulwich/Sydenham Hill. We're paying 1080 a month. My parents like the area so my dad looked at an identical flat effectively next door.

It's on for 365K

He viewed it on Saturday, and the owner told him a couple of things.

"I shouldn't tell you this, but it's been on for four weeks, and I haven't had a viewing until now."

"I shouldn't tell you this, but I am willing to move on price."

Oh dear...

Also, he works in the mortgage industry, and until recently was a bull (you think he'd know better). Interestingly, he told me that Kensington Mortgages is still alive and kicking, but not doing any new lending. So what are they doing, I asked? Concentrating on their existing loan book, trying to maximise revenue from that. I thought that was quite interesting. He's not a bull anymore, and thinks I'm quite smart for not having bought now :)

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest The_Oldie
Honestly, you don't need to tell me. I think when you've owned for over twenty years, the idea of renting really is anathema. I can understand that.

I had owned for over thirty years. The first six months renting felt a little strange, but now I can't imagine wanting to own a house again.

Perhaps I'll change my mind in a few years if and when it makes financial sense to buy again, but the way I feel now, I may never own again.

HOLA444
I had owned for over thirty years. The first six months renting felt a little strange, but now I can't imagine wanting to own a house again.

Perhaps I'll change my mind in a few years if and when it makes financial sense to buy again, but the way I feel now, I may never own again.

Well, we've just been through a nighmarish year with a slightly deranged landlord, and before that we lived in a flat that got dry rot so were forced to move out.

Financially renting is better, but there is something to be said for having some control over your living space. Not that ownership gives you complete control, but I can see why it's hard to give up.

HOLA445
So what are they doing, I asked? Concentrating on their existing loan book, trying to maximise revenue from that. I thought that was quite interesting.

Is that like "spending more time with the family"? How do you maximize revenue from your existing loans? I thought you lent them the money, they paid (or not) you interest, and that was that. There doesn't seem much opportunity for maximising, minimising or performing any other mathematical function on it, as far as I can see,

Peter.

HOLA446
Is that like "spending more time with the family"? How do you maximize revenue from your existing loans? I thought you lent them the money, they paid (or not) you interest, and that was that. There doesn't seem much opportunity for maximising, minimising or performing any other mathematical function on it, as far as I can see,

Peter.

Figuring out which properties to repossess, which to turn the screws on, and which are beyond saving. Chasing the loans, "counselling" people in trouble ('Have you heard of ebay?'), doing legal work in-house.

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

HOLA447
Figuring out which properties to repossess, which to turn the screws on, and which are beyond saving. Chasing the loans, "counselling" people in trouble ('Have you heard of ebay?'), doing legal work in-house.

Interesting. The above would seem to require a rather different skill set than that required to flog mortgages to anyone who could fog a mirror. I wonder if they all get retrained,

Peter.

HOLA448
Well, we've just been through a nighmarish year with a slightly deranged landlord, and before that we lived in a flat that got dry rot so were forced to move out.

Financially renting is better, but there is something to be said for having some control over your living space. Not that ownership gives you complete control, but I can see why it's hard to give up.

unless you're in a leasehold flat with bad and/or greedy managing agents/freeholders. Even less control, not easy to move.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Interesting. The above would seem to require a rather different skill set than that required to flog mortgages to anyone who could fog a mirror. I wonder if they all get retrained,

Peter.

For most things, I doubt it. How much training does it take to harass debtors? The legal side might require training. On the whole it's more a case of "do this, or we make you redundant" I expect.