House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
headmelter

Daily Mail Advertises For Ir Cut.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people in the commented that they want rates to go up. Not one said they wanted a cut.

It's only really those who've played the bubble game who need it* For the rest, and there are a *lot* of us, inflation concerns trump high interest rates every time. If, as many on here are, you're part of the generation that's deepest into the bubble (late 20s, early 30s), then it's hardly difficult to find a few mates who're up to their noses in it. Try the same thing with a load of 40-somethings or later, you'll find most of them are totally untouched by it.

Oh, and guess which age groups are most likely to vote... ;)

* 'It' being cuts.

Edited by Moo

It's only really those who've played the bubble game who need it* For the rest, and there are a *lot* of us, inflation concerns trump high interest rates every time. If, as many on here are, you're part of the generation that's deepest into the bubble (late 20s, early 30s), then it's hardly difficult to find a few mates who're up to their noses in it. Try the same thing with a load of 40-somethings or later, you'll find most of them are totally untouched by it.

Oh, and guess which age groups are most likely to vote... ;)

* 'It' being cuts.

not in my experience, the 40s and 50s that have moved are as much in it as everyone else- remember- the rungs of the ladder are much further apart becasue of the lending.

And I read here very recently that many pensioners enter retirement absolutely shafted with debt.

This is intergenerational.

I particularly like the use of the present tense in this comment under a picture of a couple of confused FTBs outside an EA's

Slow times: Property prices are still rising but at the slowest rate in 12 years

And yet what they should have said was: property prices have been falling for four months.

So I got to the top of the hill and then as I drove (musn't say down) the other side, I noticed that I was rising at the slowest rate since I started driving up the hill earlier. CLINTS

Edit to add:

and here are the other stories:

Other stories:

Families selling up and renting instead

Families face £1,300 a year mortgage hike

Nationwide hikes rates as mortgages fall

Still 'good mortgage deals' for borrowers

First-time buyers: Shortcuts to a first home

Five-year mortgage could save you £5,500

We took a 25-year fix to beat rates

Lenders pull plug on 10,000 mortgage deals

Property market slumps to 20-year low

Homeowners suffer as mortgages vanish

Homeowners suffer as mortgages vanish

Falling prices hit Easter house price hunt

Parents can help beat mortgage squeeze

Unwanted flats legacy of buy-to-let boom

HIPs of 'little value' says Which?

Fears over interest-only home loans

What we must realise though is the VI of the Mail. The hate Labour, so understandably want to attack from both sides. Disaster because interest rates are high and disaster because Inflation is high.

Not to mention the added disaster that banks aren't passing on any rate cuts to borrowers, just to savers.

Edited by bobthe~

Wouldn't trust Nationwide figures, they shut their mortgage book in January so the number of homes surveyed by them in Feb and March would have been far less, so it is a rubbish statistic, but at least this'll help get an interest rate cut in April.

- Steve, Berkshire

What an excellent observation. Now that Haliwide have suddenly changed their lending criteria, I wonder what effect it will have on their stats.

not in my experience, the 40s and 50s that have moved are as much in it as everyone else- remember- the rungs of the ladder are much further apart becasue of the lending.

And I read here very recently that many pensioners enter retirement absolutely shafted with debt.

This is intergenerational.

It's definately true to say that the bubble was a lot more optional for those who bought in before it. Yes, I'm sure there are some who've utterly stuffed themselves, but I would be incredibly surprised if they were in the majority.

Long shot, but does anyone have access to anything that might resemble "average size of mortgage held by age-group"?

When credit crunch, there is close to 0 correlation between the central bank rate cuts and liquidity in financial markets. So, I'd rather see the BoE keep the rates on hold to bring real I (not the Brownian) inflation under control and provide liquidity (not rate cuts, which are useless anyway) to those that need it to maintain stability of the financial system.