House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
co2_is-not_man_made

Phew, Just Got Out

Well hello everyone, been lurking around on here for a while. Just managed to exchange on my house sale. I feel very lucky . been trying to sell for a year, ended up taking 10% less than i wanted last year but not a problem as I still got double what i paid 7 years ago.

Now renting a far better house for less money than my existing mortgage and equity in the bank. looking to get back in when i reckon we will see 40% falls from here. I intend to be mortgage free when that happens.

The problem i have is how to protect equity from inflation, because of course property is a hedge. Please do not suggest gold ,I was looking at the inflation proof government bonds anyone any experience of these?

The other option to leave the country and get away from this nonsense government , but have to get the kids through school yet so a few years off.

Well hello everyone, been lurking around on here for a while. Just managed to exchange on my house sale. I feel very lucky . been trying to sell for a year, ended up taking 10% less than i wanted last year but not a problem as I still got double what i paid 7 years ago.

Now renting a far better house for less money than my existing mortgage and equity in the bank. looking to get back in when i reckon we will see 40% falls from here. I intend to be mortgage free when that happens.

The problem i have is how to protect equity from inflation, because of course property is a hedge. Please do not suggest gold ,I was looking at the inflation proof government bonds anyone any experience of these?

The other option to leave the country and get away from this nonsense government , but have to get the kids through school yet so a few years off.

Hi there. Goverment Index Linked Bonds seem good value to me. They come in 3 or 5 year Certificates, but the good news is you can sell them after 12 months. There is no risk to your capital, becauase they are protected by the treasury. At the moment, over a 3 or 5 year period they pay RPI (4.1%) + 1.35% = 5.45% tax free. They seem a no brainer to me.

Edited by Housing Bear

Hi Love,

I cant offer you help with your investment needs but I can say well done and make sure you get drunked tonight.

See Ya.

Well done!

And more importantly, good luck.

What's your risk tolerance like?

But where would you go to find a good government? USA? France? Ireland? Italy?.......Zimbabwe?.......

Well done , what AREA though ???

NSI index linked certs recommended

NS&I index-linked certificates are IMHO the perfect place for an STR fund stash.

Problem is, they are only issued a couple of times a year and you can only have 30k in each issue (15k in the 3year bond, 15k in the 5year bond).

Other than that, I have some cash, some gold, some Yen and Swiss Francs, and some government index-linked gilts (like the NS&I certs these are a hedge against inflation but unlike the certs, there is a capital risk involved)

Anyone know if the new issues of NS&I certificates will be out at start of financial year (April 6th) or is it just random?

Random , as and when , these current ones have been going since April last year :rolleyes:

I have most of my wealth in short-date index linked UK qov't bonds.

Some interesting facts about them:

1. The real (i.e. stripping out inflation) yield on them is less than 1% (about 0.8% for the 2009 maturity and 0.9% for the 2011 maturity) but you get inflation on top of that.

2. While the coupons you receive on the bonds (which are typically about 2.5% of nominal, which comes to the 0.8% or 0.9% in cash given the purchase price is about 270 odd for 100 of nominal) are treated as taxable income, the inflation component is treated as a capital gain, AND no capital gains tax is payable by private individuals on Gilts. Hence, if you are a higher rate tax payer, and think that RPI is about =3.5%, you get a return before after tax of 3.5%+60%*0.9% = 4.22%, which would be equivalent to 4.22%/0.6 = 7.0% on a pre-tax basis for a fully taxable investment. This is pretty good for a risk free investment.

3. You probably only want to buy the shorter maturity Index-Linked Gilts, since otherwise you have heavy exposure to the impact of interest rate fluctations on the value of the bonds

4 The Bonds are indexed off RPI rather than CPI

Site down?

Here's the article; There's a have your say at the bottom.

It is no wonder that house prices are beginning to show a sustained downward trend. Yesterday the British Bankers' Association (BBA) reported that there were only 43,870 mortgage approvals in February, one of the lowest levels on record and down a third on the same time last year. With fewer loans being made available, there is less money swilling around to support high prices. First-time buyers in particular have all but disappeared from the market as few banks are prepared to lend to buyers without a large deposit.

The danger with prices now falling every month is that both buyers will start expecting significantly lower prices and will therefore delay making offers in the hope they will be able to pick up a similar property for much less later on. If this happens, it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if buyers withdraw from the market it will undermine demand, reducing the ability of vendors to achieve the prices they want. Meanwhile, if prospective sellers also start expecting large price falls, they may choose to put their homes on the market before things gets too bad, triggering a massive increase in supply, depressing prices further.

Working against this is the fact that the Bank of England may soon lower the cost of borrowing, which should support confidence and eventually make mortgages cheaper. Also, while levels of employment remain high, demand should remain reasonably robust and there will not be enough homeowners selling for “distressed” reasons to undermine the market.

Nonetheless, the more prices fall, and the longer the credit crunch continues, the greater the risk of a big slump in prices. We are not at that point yet, but it is looking more likely now than it was only a month ago.

Edited by nmarks

NS&I index-linked certificates are IMHO the perfect place for an STR fund stash.

Problem is, they are only issued a couple of times a year and you can only have 30k in each issue (15k in the 3year bond, 15k in the 5year bond).

No you can buy them in TRUST { but there really yours } for anyone spouse/partner , kids , family members , you can multiply the amounts many times , they only get the money if you pop it , it's like a tax loophole .

Northern Rock bonds.

Guaranteed to any amount, anywhere else, theres the 35K limit

The country is fecked.

They'd better get Terminal 5 working properly pronto 'cos its about to be tested severely with people desparate to get out!

any inflation will be offset by the defaltion in asset prices.chill and don't be greedy.

Spot on, don't worry - be happy.

If the money's earmarked for property then go low risk in sterling and make sure it's available when you need it.

I was looking at the inflation proof government bonds anyone any experience of these?

hahaha.......they don't protect agiant inflation when the inflation statistics are manipulated.

Stick your cash in physical silver via goldmoney and you'll be fine.