House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sambino

Dairy Crest May Pass On Soaring Milk Costs

http://uk.reuters.com/article/allBreakingN...815095820080328

Dairy Crest, the UK's largest maker of dairy products, may pass part of an unprecedented 40 percent rise in the cost of milk on to its supermarket customers, its chief executive said on Friday.

Fears over the rising cost of milk and other raw materials for dairy products such as vegetable oil pushed shares in Dairy Crest (DCG.L: Quote, Profile, Research) down 7 percent, to hit a 20-month low at 492.8p by 12.20 p.m., an analyst said.

It followed a trading statement in which Dairy Crest said it expects to meet underlying profit forecasts for the year to March 31, 2008, but will face a one-off cost due to surging milk prices.

Edited by sambino

Dairy Crest, the UK's largest maker of dairy products, may pass part of an unprecedented 40 percent rise in the cost of milk on to its supermarket customers, its chief executive said on Friday.

Fears over the rising cost of milk and other raw materials for dairy products such as vegetable oil pushed shares in Dairy Crest (DCG.L: Quote, Profile, Research) down 7 percent, to hit a 20-month low at 492.8p by 12.20 p.m., an analyst said.

It followed a trading statement in which Dairy Crest said it expects to meet underlying profit forecasts for the year to March 31, 2008, but will face a one-off cost due to surging milk prices.

About bl**y time IMO - Though I am not quite sure where Dairy Crest is getting a 40% rise from

Cos that sunshine to grow the grass just got dearer.

OK ok I know it's petrol for the tanker to collect it all, supermarkets profits etc

Cos that sunshine to grow the grass just got dearer.

OK ok I know it's petrol for the tanker to collect it all, supermarkets profits etc

Don't forget the vets bills, water rates, electricity, animal feed price rises, and last but not least numberous extra DEFRA inititives, forms, and 'environmental schemes' that are putting the costs up more and more for the farmers.

Don't forget the vets bills, water rates, electricity, animal feed price rises, and last but not least numberous extra DEFRA inititives, forms, and 'environmental schemes' that are putting the costs up more and more for the farmers.

They're all whining like f*** those farmers.

The truth is, if it weren't for Tesco et al, farmers in this country would hold the people to ransom regarding food prices.

They all claim foot and moth ruined them yet locally to me they have much better tractors etc since and 1 farmer was caught cutting cows mouths and making them eat soap so it appeared his cows had it so he could get a government payout

The truth is, if it weren't for Tesco et al, farmers in this country would hold the people to ransom regarding food prices.

No what the farmers want is an equal system between farmers, retailers and processors like they have in France. What you get is a system imposed on you by the supermarkets controlled by the economics of boom and bust (just like the housing market), the biggest problem with this system is that commodity prices spiral out of control when we enter recession. Pushing up the price of food when consumers can least afford it.

- I think you will find that it is Tesco et al who are holding both the farmers and the customers to ransom - have you ever compared the farm gate price for example milk to the selling price in Tesco et al?! You would be in for a shock if you did.

For example, a typical current price farmers get is ~£0.22/litre how much is a litre of milk in Tescos now?! (I dont know I boycott them) but I would guess at least 80p so that is what a 40p mark-up per litre - now who is being ripped off....

They all claim foot and moth ruined them yet locally to me they have much better tractors etc since and 1 farmer was caught cutting cows mouths and making them eat soap so it appeared his cows had it so he could get a government payout

Yeah, one farmer was proved to be a rotten sod so that is 100% proof that they are all at it.... :unsure:

And you do realise that in business one has to invest in it to get returns - maybe their old tractor needed replaced - maybe they do alot of arable work and so a decent tractor is a neccesity?!

40%.... Geeeze! Huge!

Milk delivered to my door in the morning costs 55pence a pint. That is cheap, very cheap. If I have to pay a bit more to keep all concerned with producing and delivering it earning a decent living I will gladly do so. There are rip offs out there too numerous to mention but my morning pinta is not one of them. Just paid my milkman, nice chap, known him for 27 years. Milk delivery to the door, one of the things about this country that is still civilised and good.

- I think you will find that it is Tesco et al who are holding both the farmers and the customers to ransom - have you ever compared the farm gate price for example milk to the selling price in Tesco et al?! You would be in for a shock if you did.

For example, a typical current price farmers get is ~£0.22/litre how much is a litre of milk in Tescos now?! (I dont know I boycott them) but I would guess at least 80p so that is what a 40p mark-up per litre - now who is being ripped off....

Yeah, one farmer was proved to be a rotten sod so that is 100% proof that they are all at it.... :unsure:

And you do realise that in business one has to invest in it to get returns - maybe their old tractor needed replaced - maybe they do alot of arable work and so a decent tractor is a neccesity?!

The farmer sells it. Someone else has to collect it, pasteurize it, package it, put on a lorry, take it off the lorry, stack it on the selves, swipe it though the checkout, and turn a profit in a highly competitive market. Some of those machines in the main dairies cost three million quid!

My wife's family farmed dairy for forty years.

They got out because they had the sense not only to read the writing on the wall but also take notice.

1983 - milk quota introduced. You're producing too much, stop.

1996 - BSE.

1997 - trading in quota banned.

2001 - f&m.

2001 > supermarket warfare.

Why do people bang on and on about the poor farmers when out of all the UK industries that have been turned to shit, theirs is consistently propped up by government.

The farmer sells it. Someone else has to collect it, pasteurize it, package it, put on a lorry, take it off the lorry, stack it on the selves, swipe it though the checkout, and turn a profit in a highly competitive market. Some of those machines in the main dairies cost three million quid!

My wife's family farmed dairy for forty years.

They got out because they had the sense not only to read the writing on the wall but also take notice.

1983 - milk quota introduced. You're producing too much, stop.

1996 - BSE.

1997 - trading in quota banned.

2001 - f&m.

2001 > supermarket warfare.

Why do people bang on and on about the poor farmers when out of all the UK industries that have been turned to shit, theirs is consistently propped up by government.

Foods kinda important dude. We can get by without almost everything else.

No what the farmers want is an equal system between farmers, retailers and processors like they have in France. What you get is a system imposed on you by the supermarkets controlled by the economics of boom and bust (just like the housing market), the biggest problem with this system is that commodity prices spiral out of control when we enter recession. Pushing up the price of food when consumers can least afford it.

yeah - the french subsidised farmers. nice example.!!

tbh: i have never ever seen a poor farmer.

i dont get grants when my business doesnt add up.

if sheep are only worth 17p as claimed. stop being a farmer. do something else. taxi driver ?

sell your farmhouse.

Foods kinda important dude. We can get by without almost everything else.

...which is why futures contracts were invented.

Are you suggesting that processing costs really are so high?! I find it funny how the difference between the selling price and the farm gate price has never been so large as it is right now Someone is making a huge profit somewhere along the line.

And people "bang on and on about the poor farmers" as without them what are you planning on eating? - oh yes of course I hear you say "we can just import it" but where from?

Nowhere in Europe has the spare milk capacity to sell to us and what about animal welfare (and the monitoring of drugs/chemicals used in production) how would you control this? Add to that the cost of transportation and you will be wishing we had looked after our own farmers, right now they are producing food very cheaply to high standards it is only the cartels operated by the supermarkets that are stopping us (consumers) and them (farmers) from getting a fair price.

Well I could give you names and addesses for a good number.

Yeah well I don't know any! I married the daughter of one. He retired a forty and started buying houses in 1995 - for cash!

I've worked on three dairy farms. One of them was just sold for £2.3 million, to another farmer!

You're full of it!

Poor people don't have enough to eat,

Don't have access to clean water,

medicine,

clothes or shelter.

That is poor!

People sitting on assets worth millions, who are incapable of running viable businesses are, to be polite, "slow".

Only in a country as deluded as ours could farmers be called poor.

Are you suggesting that processing costs really are so high?! I find it funny how the difference between the selling price and the farm gate price has never been so large as it is right now Someone is making a huge profit somewhere along the line.

And people "bang on and on about the poor farmers" as without them what are you planning on eating? - oh yes of course I hear you say "we can just import it" but where from?

Nowhere in Europe has the spare milk capacity to sell to us and what about animal welfare (and the monitoring of drugs/chemicals used in production) how would you control this? Add to that the cost of transportation and you will be wishing we had looked after our own farmers, right now they are producing food very cheaply to high standards it is only the cartels operated by the supermarkets that are stopping us (consumers) and them (farmers) from getting a fair price.

Well why don't they fvcking do something about it then?

without them what are you planning on eating?

I own land and keep animals, grow food, etc. I could grow more but I don't because it is more effective to go to work and buy the food than grow it all myself.

you will be wishing we had looked after our own farmers,

You can't be serious.

£800k payout on one farm after f&m and you're tell me we don't look after them. Set aside grants for years and now the SFPS.

My father-in-law was making £20k after he retired just on milk quota lease and grants!

What other industry gets looked after more.

I'm very bullish on UK agriculture precisely because of all the negative talk. The fundamentals are fantastic. Asfood prices rise the industry will take off again.

Yeah well I don't know any! I married the daughter of one. He retired a forty and started buying houses in 1995 - for cash!

I've worked on three dairy farms. One of them was just sold for £2.3 million, to another farmer!

You're full of it!

Poor people don't have enough to eat,

Don't have access to clean water,

medicine,

clothes or shelter.

That is poor!

People sitting on assets worth millions, who are incapable of running viable businesses are, to be polite, "slow".

Only in a country as deluded as ours could farmers be called poor.

Yeah thats right, I will pass on your regards to them all when I am next in touch.

I agree a small minority of farmers are sat on proverbial goldmines, but that is no excuse for supermarkets being responsible for buying milk from farmers for less and less money whilst at the same time charging the consumers more and more in their shops. There will be no farming left in the country soon if things continue as they are - you may think this is a good thing, but believe me a 40% rise in prices will be nothing compared to price rises that will be to come.

Well why don't they fvcking do something about it then?

That is an excellent point and I wish the NFU and the like would get off their ar*es and do something.

In fact we should be more like the French farmers - they make sure everyone listens.

Yeah thats right, I will pass on your regards to them all when I am next in touch.

I agree a small minority of farmers are sat on proverbial goldmines, but that is no excuse for supermarkets being responsible for buying milk from farmers for less and less money whilst at the same time charging the consumers more and more in their shops. There will be no farming left in the country soon if things continue as they are - you may think this is a good thing, but believe me a 40% rise in prices will be nothing compared to price rises that will be to come.

la la land.

If they don't like the price, don't sell it, simple!

They can set up their own network of outlets and see how it goes.

Why are the SM unfair? I've never met a farmer who wants to pay realistic money for anything!