House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

There Is A One In Three Chance Of The Uk Going Into A Recession

There is a one in three chance of the UK going into a recession over the next two years, according to investment bank Lehman Brothers.

It says the global financial turmoil is increasing mortgage rates and predicts this will reduce consumer spending. Lehman Brothers says the Bank of England will be forced to cut rates to 4% or lower to boost the economy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7318308.stm

An

USA last year?

I remember last year we kept getting a 1/3 chance of a recession in the US with very few brave enough to go all the way to even 50% In the last month without any further advance on the probably it was declaired they are probably already in a recession. If they are talking about it means it will happen.

Anyway not wanting to put a downer on a Friday afternoon we are past discussing recessions, which if we get one will be the best we could hope for.

On the Hargreaves Lansdowne website, an online poll of 767 pollsters (those that have voted so far) showed 51% of voters thought the Uk would be in recession by the end of 2008.

An

USA last year?

I remember last year we kept getting a 1/3 chance of a recession in the US with very few brave enough to go all the way to even 50% In the last month without any further advance on the probably it was declaired they are probably already in a recession. If they are talking about it means it will happen.

Anyway not wanting to put a downer on a Friday afternoon we are past discussing recessions, which if we get one will be the best we could hope for.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. In the US people were saying that there was still a chance that the US could go into a recession and the next day someone would say that it looked like the US has been in recession for 2 months already.

I guess it depends on which numbers you believe :ph34r:

Guest tenant super

I think there is a one in three chance of the powers that be actually admitting that we are in a recession.

I dont like to make predictions but I'll stick my neck out here, the word "Darling" will move from being a term of endearment to an insult worse than the "C " word.

:P

We are already in a recession. Credit is contracting. Lehamn are just putting lipstik on a pig.

Apart from that racist comment highlighted I agree. 1 in 3 chance ? thats so funny. 100% more like

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

THERE WILL BE NORECESSION

COMPRENDE????

AND HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

All that lovely consumer spending we had here will be totally obliterated.....

But all those nice companies selling us plastic rubbish,or grabbing the resources out of the ground,just happen to be listed on FTSE.....and they will keep on rising....AND PAYING A BIT OF TAX.

The goods in question are now being sold to those bloody foreigners instead.Hmmmph

So in GDP terms,we will be having NO RECESSION.

Fudge it a bit with some currency debasement and you will miraculously achieve growth of 1.5% per annum.

To the man on the street it will still feel like a bloodbath,because that's what it is....pay more for the basics like food and energy,and less disposable(if that's what it really was in the first place),to spend on unneccessary junk to keep up with the jones'

Edited by oracle