House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leonard Hatred

Bbc Still Clinging To The Word "slowdown"

I think the BBC might have to invest in a set of negative y-axis next month for the yoy figures.

Hah, I thought that too.

I would also point out that technically once we go YoY -ve, it will actually be a "speed up" as the boulder gathers momentum down that hill. :D

Edit to add.

Good job that NationWide invented the Time Machine as well. I am going to go back 5 years and buy a house to make that 47% profit. :lol:

Edited by bobthe~

Saw Ray Boulger from Charcol on at lunchtime saying that FTBers won't be buying and it doesn't make sense unless they can put in a "cheeky" offer and get it accepted. I can just imagine the editor screeming in the earpiece of the guy interviewing "Shut him up! Shut the ******er up!" funnily enough there was an awkward silence after that, and they cut straight to the sport! Auntie is losing control.

Interesting to see Declan this morning on Breakfast, talked about the latest figures but didn't give the MOM drop just went straight to the YOY which is still positive.

Great thing is once the YOY goes negative it will be down down down all the way for some time as th previous year positives will slowly be move out of the index

Interesting to see Declan this morning on Breakfast, talked about the latest figures but didn't give the MOM drop just went straight to the YOY which is still positive.

Great thing is once the YOY goes negative it will be down down down all the way for some time as th previous year positives will slowly be move out of the index

Agree that the yoy negative point is absolutely pivotal in the whole HPC debate. It is the point at which Joe public (not just the HPC anoraks) really starts to pay attention. Until that point prices are perceived as slowing. After that point, the C word is really with us.

Well they are clinging to (as I alluded earlier) the notion that houses are 47% up on 5 years ago. They can't even use "don't worry, your house is still worth more than last year" any more, since it is probably statistically insignificant.

So how far will they be going back in a couple of years time?

"Don't worry, your house is still worth just about more than it was when John Major was in power, aren't Labour wonderful? And don't worry about that debt, we are going to magic it away."

After watching Fionaualalala on the BBC report, I think this really marks a change in attitude at Nationwide. They no longer care about selling mortgages (or so it seems after trying to price themselves out), so why do they need to ramp the market anymore? There definately was no ramping in that clip anyway.

Good to see the BBC explaining in simple terms to the sheeple , that rate cuts won't reduce there mortgage payments ...

Alongside a growing expectation among buyers and sellers that prices will fall, many lenders are finding it hard to raise the money necessary to fund their mortgage operations.

Despite recent cuts in interest rates by the Bank of England, the cost of paying for a new mortgage - and in some cases an existing one - has risen.

After watching Fionaualalala on the BBC report, I think this really marks a change in attitude at Nationwide. They no longer care about selling mortgages (or so it seems after trying to price themselves out), so why do they need to ramp the market anymore? There definately was no ramping in that clip anyway.

Why do they need to ramp? Because they've got billions lent out secured against rapidly reducing assets.

The YOY figure is a DERIVATIVE of the house price time line.

And we all know what Derivatives have done to financial markets,

When this one goes negative, its lights out for the market.

Well they are clinging to (as I alluded earlier) the notion that houses are 47% up on 5 years ago. They can't even use "don't worry, your house is still worth more than last year" any more, since it is probably statistically insignificant.

So how far will they be going back in a couple of years time?

"Don't worry, your house is still worth just about more than it was when John Major was in power, aren't Labour wonderful? And don't worry about that debt, we are going to magic it away."

we may laugh but this is what worries me. The government (any government) is going to go hell in a handcart to save house prices for as long as possible. :(

I imagine that their aren't many MP's who aren't VI's, and they'll be other very powerful VI's who can influence the govt and BoE policy.

bastards. :(