House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

Super Commuters

Ah yes, the good 'ol expanded "London Effect". Knew a girl in Worthing who moved there from London and commuted for "quality of life" reasons. Lasted about a year, as spending an additional four hours of her life each day on the train wasn't quite as appealling as first thought.

See? Yet another result of the curse of high house prices. People having to live further and further away from work, doing the exact opposite of what all these extra "green" taxes are supposed to achieve.

If you look carefully at the picture, I think you can see "Longisland" from the Anecdotals forum standing at the left of the picture. Norwich to London and back 5 times a week. Live that dream.

It always amazes me that someone would waste their lives travelling to a job.

If you actually question these people (i have freinds who do it), you find out that anything extra they earn is simply eroded in travel time and cost.

Cant beat the feeling of leaving work, and 5 mins later being back home.

See? Yet another result of the curse of high house prices. People having to live further and further away from work, doing the exact opposite of what all these extra "green" taxes are supposed to achieve.

I think this is more a result of greedy people trying to have their cake and eat it.

If you actually question these people (i have freinds who do it), you find out that anything extra they earn is simply eroded in travel time and cost.

I spend around 2.5 hours per day travelling to work.....not just for the money, but the job is good.

I work in a school, and wouldn't want to live in the same area as the pupils. Conversely I wouldn't work for the local authority I live in, as it is appalling. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting, and it costs £38/month - gives me time to read, listen to my IPod and wake up. So it isn't all bad for everyone.

I think people with families who regularly do long commutes are very similar to people who "play" golf; i.e. they don't really like their partner and children and it's just an excuse to not spend time with them.

Can someone work out where I can get a free house then?

Somewhere near Guildford I'd have thought. The trick is to walk.

I used to do a two and half hour commute each way in my youth. I only did this for the money, as those of you are still contracting know, makes it all worth while. IMO, on a normal wage, anything more than an hour each way is too much.

Edited by markinspain

you have to ask, out of all the commuters on the train. how many HAVE to work in an office and how many MUST start at 9am ?

i reckon 1/5th could work from home and another 1/5 could start at 11am-7pm.

schools could start at 10pm-4pm

retail shops could open no sooner than 10am

i always find it strange why evereyone has to start work in the same place at the same time.

its a 1950s throwback, but without the walking.

The other big problem with the "Super Commuter" thingy is it's all well and good to move miles away when you're in employment, but...

If you lose that job, and the job market's looking a little less than rosey, you're immediately in competition with other candidates who actually live in the area which provides the salary you need to provide the work-expensive-buy-cheap lifestyle. Or, to put it another way, "Nah, he lives in Kings Lynn, there's a guy here with the same quals and experience who lives in Dorking."