House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

Daily Telegraph: Uk House Prices Drop For Fifth Straight Month

UK house prices drop for fifth straight month

House prices fell by 0.6pc in March, the fifth consecutive monthly fall, as Britain's biggest mortgage lender Nationwide downgraded its forecasts for 2008.

Fionnuala Earley, Nationwide's chief economist said: "The outlook for UK house prices is clearly more downbeat than at the time of our November forecast. Some of the downside risks we identified then have become a reality - most notably the continued turmoil in the financial markets."

!! WHY NOT JUST SAY SLUMP?!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...cnnation228.xml

Not allowed to say "slump" The BBC said it yesterday on it's "Ceefax" service .It was soon withdrawn and replaced by the word "slowdown"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They still do that. Wow, impressive! :lol:

He..He..Declan on bbc was intervewing some vi bint today and asked where she thought house prices would be in a year's time...she replied with " a slight drop in values". I wonder if in a few years they will have programs on the great crash and use these predictions, Along the lines of the famous "there is no hurricane going to hit the uk from mr fish.

Along the lines of the famous "there is no hurricane going to hit the uk from mr fish.

To go o/t slightly, to be fair to him, it wasn't a hurricane. It was, however, a b****y big storm!

He..He..Declan on bbc was intervewing some vi bint today and asked where she thought house prices would be in a year's time...she replied with " a slight drop in values". I wonder if in a few years they will have programs on the great crash and use these predictions, Along the lines of the famous "there is no hurricane going to hit the uk from mr fish.

I've been wondering about this too- although judging from the evidence in America the official line will be something like "Well, it was completely impossible to predict a crash- or even see the ridiculous inflation and debt binging as anything other than completely healthy and sustainable"- this is the line Greenspan is taking at least. :angry:

I dont really know what else to expect, having commited to the HPI4EVA story a while back the people currently only want to hear that its all going to be o.k, or that the crash wont be so bad, or that it can't effect them for whatever reason. So thats the story they will be told, or rather the story they will buy- i.e from the Tiimes. It can be kept up all the way through the crash too- calling a 'bottom' finding areas where things aren't too bad, or an investor who turned a profit despite the crash, seeing the 'greenshoots of recovery' maybe twice a year every time the rate of decline slows etc.

The Guardian has taken a different approach- its going to call the crash for what it is in the belief that when sentiment changes the bad news is what people want to buy, I suspect they're right too. Because it will be the bulls turn to wear the tinfoil hat: much of the positive reporting will look ridiculous when it is at odds with the experience of their own lives, freinds losing on BTL, not being able to move because your house just won't sell etc. But they will not want to be told that booms always end in crashes and that should have been as plain as the nose on their face, because that would make them idiot sheeple rather than the astute social critics they obviously are. So Greenspans bullcrap will get trotted out and everyone will believe it.

I'm looking forward to the 2013 headlines....UK house prices drop for fifth straight year :unsure:

Conincidentally, my boss just complained that he was typing an email and Outlook suddenly turned Japanese on him. I had to chortle to myself.

Edited by dazednconfused

UK house prices drop for fifth straight month

House prices fell by 0.6pc in March, the fifth consecutive monthly fall, as Britain's biggest mortgage lender Nationwide downgraded its forecasts for 2008.

Fionnuala Earley, Nationwide's chief economist said: "The outlook for UK house prices is clearly more downbeat than at the time of our November forecast. Some of the downside risks we identified then have become a reality - most notably the continued turmoil in the financial markets."

!! WHY NOT JUST SAY SLUMP?!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...cnnation228.xml

I thought Halifax were the biggest lender and NWide were the biggest Building Society.

I also notice that October last year, prices were "up 1.1%", which was greeted here quite rightly with hoots of derision.

I wouldn't want to be the headline writers in the Excess for October's figures. :)

And they still don't get it, either. It was property going down in the US that triggered all this (notwithstanding that the bubble has to be inflated in the first place). We are just about starting on their road.

Not allowed to say "slump" The BBC said it yesterday on it's "Ceefax" service .It was soon withdrawn and replaced by the word "slowdown"

i just slowed down onto my sofa this lunchtime.

the latest courtroom drama includes the following line:

"Yes Mlud, I found the deceased slowed down over the wheel of his car with a bullet hole in his head."