House Price Crash Forum

Land Registry

HOLA441

Hi all, Long time lurker but first time post .......... please be gentle!

I know that it is generally accepted that the Land Registry figures are less than accurate to say the least and that they lag by a minimum of 3 months probably more. However, i still feel they are an important set of figures as much of the population believe that as they are published by a government agency that they are the most accurate.

What are people's predictions on the figures which i think are out today at 12.00pm and also any predictions for the next couple of months?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest grumpy-old-man

I know that it is generally accepted that the Land Registry figures are less than accurate to say the least and that they lag by a minimum of 3 months probably more. However, i still feel they are an important set of figures as much of the population believe that as they are published by a government agency that they are the most accurate.

What are people's predictions on the figures which i think are out today at 12.00pm and also any predictions for the next couple of months?

I don't have much faith in the majority of stats BUT I still like to see them.

The LR stats are at least better than the rightmove asking price ones, & are probably one of the better stats.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The good thing and also the problem with the Land registry figures as I understand it is that they are a simple calculation of averages, nothing is done in terms of adjusting the figures. Therefore figures can be misleading as they don't really compare like for like. The overall figure isn't effected too much but you get people quoting stats for a particular postcode when the number of transactions has dramatically decreased and are therefore not directly comparable.

HOLA447
Excitement off. Not till 1 April @ 1100.

p-o-p

:lol::lol:

Isn't it something silly like 20 working days after the end of the previous month? Which with easter tips us over no doubt because i am sure they getting another couple of days of as civil service.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Thanks for all the response. It is indeed on the 20th working day of the month. Stupidly i had forgotten about Easter. Sorry to have made a mistake in my first post ......... i'm sure it won't be the last :blink:

Worse mistakes have been made. You could have bought an inner-city BTL executive apartment last summer on a 100% mortgage!

p-o-p

HOLA4410

<i>The good thing and also the problem with the Land registry figures as I understand it is that they are a simple calculation of averages, nothing is done in terms of adjusting the figures</i>

No, they are not as you suggest. They are using a matching methodology comparing past comparable sales with current ones called 'repeat sales regression'. There are problems with reporting. Neither my last house purchase or sale were recorded, but its unclear whether this would result in any sample bias as the overall sample set is very large.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The Land Registry records all those developer properties as 100% equity and therefore a house price. But the real figure is 20% or so below that and only 80% equity 20% cash refunds and discounts to be used builsing a property empire. Just like the Mortgage company pretend they are lending 100% equity not 80%.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
For me LR stats are irredeemably tarnished by fraud. Developers and now even second hand homeowners offering incentives such as cash back that incorrectly fail to be taken into account.

When buying a property, treat these figures with utmost suspicion.

Agree. There is so much manipulation going on by the VIs that you rely on very much if you want an accurate picture of the property market.

Lets face it, the last HT report suggested house prices fell by 0.3%. Such a tiny amount in the face of a severe credit freeze, crashing confidence, gloomy sentiment says it all. The VIs are suppressing the truth in the vain hope that the sheeple will come back into the market and sustain Gordon's miracle bubble.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Agree. There is so much manipulation going on by the VIs that you rely on very much if you want an accurate picture of the property market.

Lets face it, the last HT report suggested house prices fell by 0.3%. Such a tiny amount in the face of a severe credit freeze, crashing confidence, gloomy sentiment says it all. The VIs are suppressing the truth in the vain hope that the sheeple will come back into the market and sustain Gordon's miracle bubble.

Agreed.

I don't expect the LR to be that good this month, hopefully -ve though.

I think the thing is if the houses are not selling, then the prices don't get recorded on the LR, so it might be a while before it falls, by which point it will be truely dead.

We have seen properties with 25% off the asking, but there is no way of reflecting it until it is sold.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Been at work and had to hunt to page 3 to find this.

For the late shift, some nice snippets.

The February data reveals no monthly price change and an annual increase of 5.3 per cent. The latest Land Registry data continues to point towards a weakening housing market. Six months ago, the rate of annual price change was approximately four per cent higher than the current rate of 5.3 per cent.

i.e. HPI was 9.3% six months ago. It's nearly halved in four months.

Then look at the sales volume on page 12. Yikes!

The stats on page 17 only go up to December 2007 and show that sales volume was 40% down on December 2006.

More confirmation of what we already know, I suppose. But I quite like looking at crashes in the rear view mirror. At least it means it's behind you.

It's the crashes you see happening in front that are really scary.

Thank the Lord I'm not selling right now.