House Price Crash Forum
tuggybear

Lehman Brothers Report Predicts 35pc Chance Of Uk Recession

The Bank of England may be forced copy the Federal Reserve's lead and make dramatic interest rate cuts as Britain falls victim to a US-style slump, say experts at Lehman Brothers.

It's higher than BoE 1 in 10 odds. I would put it closer to 99%, (not as bearish as Cgnao).

Read On : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...cnrecess128.xml

Edited by tuggybear

I think a dramatic cut in interest rates will happen, now BoE are finally up to speed of the situation.

Codswollop. Not this year, at least. No more than 0.5% this year (or 0.75% in the event of an entirely unforseeable crisis) I anticipate only 0.25%.

N.B. Even if this happens, retail rates won't drop... since risk premia will more than cancell the reduced cost of bank borrowing.

Edited by A.steve

Guest grumpy-old-man
WTF do Leham Brothers know? They're about to go bankrupt.

certainly makes for an interesting weekend of speculation & more FED bailouts, although this would be on a huge scale (or so I have read about an hour ago). :ph34r:

I find it hard to take seriosuly any of these investment banks, Merril ,Citi, lehman etc etc. Britain is in a recession. These investments banks have vested interests. They always want you to invest. Look at history. No investement bank has ever said, no we think this market is going to crash, we dont want your money.

FACT: Research showed that in 2001 Merrill Lynchs stock recommendations to its clients were 99.4% BUYS. When the market was in freefall at 5500 in 2002/2003, all investment companies were telling my father to buy stocks.

FACT: Research showed that in 2001 Merrill Lynchs stock recommendations to its clients were 99.4% BUYS. When the market was in freefall at 5500 in 2002/2003, all investment companies were telling my father to buy stocks.

While true, there is a self selecting bias in that. Analysts tend not to cover bad stocks. Often the assumption is that given you have chosen to invest these are the notes on the companies we believe will make good investments.

Yet this can become twisted certainly into, you should be investing as a point by itself.

While true, there is a self selecting bias in that. Analysts tend not to cover bad stocks. Often the assumption is that given you have chosen to invest these are the notes on the companies we believe will make good investments.

Yet this can become twisted certainly into, you should be investing as a point by itself.

I think there is a bit of self-selecting bias here as well.

Look at that obama post ressurrected for instance. I bet there were threads saying Hillary is a shoo in, or for McCain as well. :)

Codswollop. Not this year, at least. No more than 0.5% this year (or 0.75% in the event of an entirely unforseeable crisis) I anticipate only 0.25%.

Ouch!

N.B. Even if this happens, retail rates won't drop... since risk premia will more than cancell the reduced cost of bank borrowing.

Half Ouch!

I think there is a bit of self-selecting bias here as well.

Look at that obama post ressurrected for instance. I bet there were threads saying Hillary is a shoo in, or for McCain as well. :)

Can I be the last to say that McCain will be a shoo-in.

Must go, I have to go buy a house now.