House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dubsie

Windows Xp And Vista Is Poop

I'm getting increasing p*ssed of with windows it really is a pile of poop. I've recently installed linux ubuntu on another machine and so far It's not crashed, I've not had a virus, it's about 2000 x faster and it looks nice. So how come a FREE OS is better than something that cost £150.00 and has had billions of dollars of investment.

Next time it's a MAC, sorry rant over...

I'm getting increasing p*ssed of with windows it really is a pile of poop. I've recently installed linux ubuntu on another machine and so far It's not crashed, I've not had a virus, it's about 2000 x faster and it looks nice. So how come a FREE OS is better than something that cost £150.00 and has had billions of dollars of investment.

I`m running Ubuntu too - plus a whole load of other servers on it including Apache, MYSQL etc. No crashes, just a bit of labour on the hard drive (not surprising given the sheer amount of processes I`ve got running).

Stable, no crashes, no stupid error messages :)

Running Windows XP on laptop as Mathcad doesn`t run on Linux and I cannot be ar$ed with WINE :rolleyes:

Funny this should come up.

I'm due a rebuild and Ubuntu has been popping up all over the place in my enquiries.

So its either XP64 or Ubuntu - whats anyone got to say?

Agree with you on Vista, its a big let down as MS sales figures will reveal. However XP is pretty good these days.

I do like Ubuntu though, its no surprise that the majority of black box network devices run on iterations of linux and ubuntu; stability and security are the keys

I've had the opposite experience. My winME box crashed completely about a week before the support was due to end so I installed Ubuntu and had a handful of craches in the first week. I also have a win2000 machine which I can't remember crashing in the 4 or so years I've had it, and none of the winXP machines I've used at work over the last 3 years have crashed. On top of that, Ubuntu is just a total pain to use. Why does everything have to be given a name beginning with the first letter of the language it was written in or the library it uses? I have about a zillion text editors to chose from on Ubuntu and between them all I don't have the functionality or user-friendliness of my last 3 favourite text editors in windows. I'd rather use a collaboratively built, free OS but I just don't see it as an option at the moment.

I'm due a rebuild and Ubuntu has been popping up all over the place in my enquiries.

It depends what software you run, but Ubuntu is brilliant. I hate Windows now it really is rubbish. I've had XP on this machine for less than 12 months and it's playing up all the time. I've converted my customer database to open office and I'm running MYSQL with an open database front end.

I've had the opposite experience. My winME box crashed completely about a week before the support was due to end so I installed Ubuntu and had a handful of craches in the first week. I also have a win2000 machine which I can't remember crashing in the 4 or so years I've had it, and none of the winXP machines I've used at work over the last 3 years have crashed. On top of that, Ubuntu is just a total pain to use. Why does everything have to be given a name beginning with the first letter of the language it was written in or the library it uses? I have about a zillion text editors to chose from on Ubuntu and between them all I don't have the functionality or user-friendliness of my last 3 favourite text editors in windows. I'd rather use a collaboratively built, free OS but I just don't see it as an option at the moment.

I admit it take about a week to get everything working but once it is....its very stable.

I admit it take about a week to get everything working but once it is....its very stable.

Agreed. That's why I set it up for my mum and two of my sister's kids instead of Windows - much less support :)

I run XP64 as I can have tons of memory for doing 3D. It's no good if you want to run cheapo hardware, and you have to very carefull drivers exist for the hardware you are running. E.g there are very few wireless network cards or tv cards with 64 bit drivers.

Guest Skint Academic

I've moved to openSuse 10.3, I've always used SuSe professionl in the past because I could buy a DVD or a load of CDs with everything on it. I keep hearing about Ubuntu. I should try it sometime. Thing is I have a load of machines that I need to keep running for months at a time and I mainly use them to process results. I actually have windows Vista on my new quad core desktop from Dell (who sell you 4 gigs of ram on a machine that can only see 3 gigs regardless of the OS) yet I have so far used it less than a few hours in total. So I still don't know what it's like. It looks like it could be very bloated and slow if you haven't bought a massive new machine for it.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way that Windows could cope with the stuff I use Linux for. I tried compiling my program on it once using Borland and it used up about five times as much memory and just didn't really suit having something running in the background for months at a time.

You lot must be a bunch of monkeys or something. I've been using XP fulltime at work as a developer for years and I can honestly say it has NEVER crashed once.

I also use it at home and don't recall ever having a serious problem with it.

My experiences are shared widely amongst friends and colleagues.

Perhaps you are simply not using it correctly or allowing viruses to rampage all over it.

Agreed. That's why I set it up for my mum and two of my sister's kids instead of Windows - much less support :)

Until they ask you how they can rip their DVDs

You lot must be a bunch of monkeys or something. I've been using XP fulltime at work as a developer for years and I can honestly say it has NEVER crashed once.

I also use it at home and don't recall ever having a serious problem with it.

My experiences are shared widely amongst friends and colleagues.

Perhaps you are simply not using it correctly or allowing viruses to rampage all over it.

Hmm...last time I checked I was (just about) a member of the human race <_<

I wouldn`t say Windows XP is crash-tastic, but there have been times when applications have dropped out (especially Word) for no reason; they just disappeared and I had fire them up again!

Maybe you`re just lucky ;)

Also, why the hell are there so many vulnerabilities in the OS? Perhaps if Microsoft hadn`t rampaged through the IT world like a herd of elephants through a china shop, then maybe there`d be fewer script kiddies having a go at `the big bad corporation`. Sure, most big businesses operate this way - boo, hiss - but Microsoft has got a pretty poor reputation IMHO. ;)

Vista x64 SP1. SLIC bios hack (because the activation is my only real grievance). Works fine.

Don't really see why anyone would have a problem with XP or Vista, unless there is some issue with third party drivers and software.