House Price Crash Forum
Paddles

Land Registry Figures

Previous Month:

Current index 226.2

Average price £186,045

Monthly change 0.9%

Annual change 6.4%

Remember, young Jedi, that the LR figures lag the most of all the indices, probably by about 3 or 4 months so about concurrent with the queues outside a certain Newcastle-based Government-owned bank.

I'll go for -1%. They must surely start to reflect the fall all the other indices picked up last autumn although I expect the figure will depend on the extent to which Brown has got involved and whose arms he has twisted.

we've seen saying 'this months data is pre-credit crunch' for months now. Its about time we started seeing some falls or its all bets off for a HPC

we've seen saying 'this months data is pre-credit crunch' for months now. Its about time we started seeing some falls or its all bets off for a HPC

To be honest, I don't expect to see anything filter through on the LR figures for ages. If you read the details of how they put the numbers together it's so filtered and massaged to be almost worthless.

New mortgage approvals are my bellweather; if they were to start to creep up in any significant way (say to 60,000) I'd be worried, but right now they are telling me that it's going to be a fine spring and summer.

There are several properties that sold last summer - so nearly 12 months ago - where I'm still waiting for the prices to hit the LR site.

They all made absolute record prices (or at least, the asking prices were record prices, and they went under offer very rapidly). And they definitely completed as they were owner-occupied with the sort of owner-occupier who wasn't going to let, and they definitely moved out.

If the LR is really that incompetent at getting all transactions on their site (i.e. they'll never appear) then the information there is so incomplete as to be useless.

There are several properties that sold last summer - so nearly 12 months ago - where I'm still waiting for the prices to hit the LR site.

They all made absolute record prices (or at least, the asking prices were record prices, and they went under offer very rapidly). And they definitely completed as they were owner-occupied with the sort of owner-occupier who wasn't going to let, and they definitely moved out.

If the LR is really that incompetent at getting all transactions on their site (i.e. they'll never appear) then the information there is so incomplete as to be useless.

Wow, for the first time ever, I actually agree with Telometer.

The LR figures are pretty meaningless; if you take the time to read the notes at the bottom of their report and all the exclusions you'll be shocked if the LR index contains any data at all.

I know they're meaningless; you know they're meaningless. Yet we're voting on them and discussing them!

There's a huge backlog of expensive freehold properties south of the river that sold last summer for sky-high prices, and are waiting to hit the data at some point in the future when prices need holding up.

Normally I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, but with this lot in power...

I know they're meaningless; you know they're meaningless. Yet we're voting on them and discussing them!

There's a huge backlog of expensive freehold properties south of the river that sold last summer for sky-high prices, and are waiting to hit the data at some point in the future when prices need holding up.

Normally I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, but with this lot in power...

But aren't these put into the figures for that month? Do they really get classed as current? I thought that was the point of having the date of sale on them.

Not saying you are wrong, just astounded that they would count them in this month's figures.

Guest The_Oldie

My guess is +0.5% - +1%, due to low volumes, high value (£5M+) London sales and lag. LR figures will not be meaningful for another three months or so, in my opinion.

Thre is a block of new flats near me that were finished last summer. They have truly aspirational pricing being between 350k and 600k. A sign outside says 'First Phase all Sold'.

They are LIARS. The block is on my regular cycling route and there is no-one living there. Five of them are up for rent in a local agents for £1200 to £1600 a month. There is no record on the Land Registry of any having been sold.

Another block near me was completed in 2004. Still half the flats have never been sold according to the Land Registry.

The Land Registry figures are distorted by 'gifted deposits' and other lies.

So, all in all, they are as meaningless as any of the other VI figures.

My guess is +0.5% - +1%, due to low volumes, high value (£5M+) London sales and lag. LR figures will not be meaningful for another three months or so, in my opinion.

For gods sake, I hope it is not as high as that! :(

Remember, young Jedi, that the LR figures lag the most of all the indices, probably by about 3 or 4 months so about concurrent with the queues outside a certain Newcastle-based Government-owned bank.

More like 6-9 months in a slow market, I would say. Still, I would be very surprised to see an overall increase.

More like 6-9 months in a slow market, I would say. Still, I would be very surprised to see an overall increase.

True, On the market, a few weeks to sell, a 3 months to complete and 3-6 months to send the price to the LR i'd guess.

Whatever the figure expect the Daily Express headline tomorrow to say - HOUSE PRICES BOOM AGAIN - LAND REGISTRY FIGURES SHOW BRITAINS HOUSING MARKET IS SET TO SOAR ONCE MORE